Thursday, October 29, 2015

September 26, 2014: A 200km three-region circle in central Taiwan, with special attention for route 137, 139, 131 & 147

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/599087281
200km, 7h52, elevation 1923m

My teaching job had formally started and I was getting more and more classes. May sound funny, but this did give me the necessary mental ease to fully enjoy my cycling trips. Today I did another 88 NT map guided tour, doing a bit of everything with the purpose of having a decent mileage at the end of the day. 200km is fair enough right?

I went south to Changhua like I always do, via Hwy 1. Then I did another approach at Route 137. It was a fun alternative to Hwy 1, which could be crowded with cars and scooters. 137 is calmer, but the conditions are inferior. Good thing I was riding shock-absorbing Roubaix.



At the start of Route 137, going south I would encounter the villages of Huatan and Dacun. 137 had some mini climbs and descents but nothing serious. Next instruction of the day: 148 to Caotun (going east). Now here was a little climb. I kept on going south via Hwy 3. 


Later I connected to Route 139, which would take me through the beautiful scenes of Zhongliao and Jiji. When I was taking a picture at this bridge a truck came by and the whole thing was shaking like there's no tomorrow. When I noticed she withstood that attack, I moved out of there ASAP.



But the Zhongliao village was nice. Not too many cars, some climbing and the Nantou mountains just around the corner.




That must be a temple complex or monastery


This is between Zhongliao and Jiji. Coming here fills me with magic, There is a good reason why cyclists like 139, especially the Nantou part


I mean just look at this: hills, trees, warm temperatures and the tranquility of Nantou's hinterland. I could while away for days over here. Occasionally go to 711 for food and I would be good.


Mind the cracks in the concrete though...



This location is the 60km mark of 139, for those interested...


139 eventually led to Jiji, beautiful Jiji. From there I had access to Hwy 16, which brought back memories from 2012, cycling next to the river.


This was one of those moments I realized it was great to be back!


Such a beautiful place for adventuring on two wheels



In 2012, I cycled here with Albert Penn, who now lives in Danshui

Then I kinda got lost. Didn't really find the roads indicated on the map. Eventually I found Route 131 that led to Shuili, hence it became my choice of the day. Another hidden paradise route, with some minor climbing. Looking at the map, it totally beats the alternative Hwy 21 which lies just east of it.


Shuili area of Nantou county. Actually the term county is not right,  because the KMT implies county of the Taiwan province of the China country. Disagreed, from now on I will say Nantou province of the Taiwan nation. In your face Ma Ying-jeou!


This Route 131 passed by a water reservoir, but I forgot its name.

It was something with "BI" referring to green, like the color of the water




Making new discoveries.... beholding the fruit of my explorations...


YIELD! I love that archaic English! Yes m'Lord, I will yield for thou and M'Lady


More sceneries along 131: Checheng recreational area



I even had the honor of going through a tunnel


Then there was T-split, I could go two ways: 1) To Puli via 131. I would know exactly how to go via Puli 2) 147 going north to Guoxing. There was a little shop here where I bought something to drink. The lady told me that 147 was a mountain path and that it would be heavy. I wanted to check it out, so 147 it was!



I came from the right, going left would be to Puli. I took the pass right behind me on this picture, to Guoxing.



Welcome to Kejia Zhuang (Hakka village), the origin of the deer. Now that's something it had in common with Lugu.


Ready for some climbing!

I refilled myself with some fluids and then I started climbing. It was quite a few km uphill until I saw this sign: Welcome to Guoxing township



I just came from there...


I took the time to check out these views. They were extraordinary



After that summit, it was a 7km descent to Guoxing and Hwy 14. I went in Guoxing center and took the entire leap around Baimaoshan (Hwy 21) so I could visit my friends in Fengyuan. But first, I had to check out Mr. Coxinga's statue


Guoxing old street


There he is, my ancestors' enemy number one, the Ming Loyalist Coxinga


I read the placard to find out what the history of this statue was. Apparently the locals wanted to have a statue that represented the name of their township.



He would have gotten more from cooperating with the Dutch. It would have prevented his loyalist ass of being beaten by the Manchus. But we cannot change the course of history...





After facing history, I went to Fengyuan for tea. I had a great ride and I did a stunning 200km.
Excellent work!


No comments:

Post a Comment