Thursday, October 15, 2015

July 4 2015: Taking my flatbar out for a little spin under a gloomy and overcast sky

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/823059544
131km, 6h04, elevation 2062m

Before even setting a single foot outside today, I knew the weather would be mediocre at the very best. However, the temperature was still fine and I just wanted to do some cycling today. So I headed out, going to Haifengli, the sea wind village.


There are several small lanes between the rice fields right next to the Qingquangang military base of Taichung. A mini maze!


This place wouldn't be Taiwan without the occasional temple popping up.

After crossing the Dajia bridge on Hwy 1, I connected to Route 121, that leads throughout Miaoli.


Belgian waffels!


Route 121 does have some ascent, good for a warm up


After following this route 121 for several miles, there is a small sign that indicates Sanyi. I had come here once before and I felt like repeating that trip.


Before connecting to Route 130, there is a more remote section, with some nice views. Skies were still dark.


But that didn't effect my cycling crave


A small forest path


From here I started descending. Actually this is a nice picture. I was literally waiting for the sky to erupt on me.


Wangyougu, a valley in which I can forget about my worries. Exactly what I need lately


Eventually that little path connects to Route 130, the big climb and descent to Sanyi. I had come here various times, the first time when I just got to central Taiwan in early August 2014.


After a few km of climbing I reached the top. Apparently this is the hometown of Taiwan's red bricks,  an invention that originally stemmed from Dutch Formosa. A contribution of my ancestors to Taiwan.



After the descent, I arrived in Sanyi city. I did feel some drops at this moment.


After a quick break in Sanyi,  there was a second climb on Route 130, this time leading all the way east.



This is the section that leads to Jiangmayuan, the ginger garden.


Up and up and up and up


Signs indicating the various directions to be found here: Route 130, Shengxing station and a riverside park.


At the right of this picture, there is also a road that leads to the Longteng broken bridge. I was going straight ahead for Route 130.



The skies were getting somewhat lighter and more relaxed.


Not the best weather I've ever had, but on these disc brakes there was no need to be afraid.



Welcome to Dahu's Ginger Garden



New signs here



After making it to the Ginger garden, the roads changes into a 4km descent, with some steeper sections as well.


Almost at the end of Route 130. Eventually this road will connect to Hwy 3.


There was an event going on here


Only a few hundred meters on Hwy 3 and I took another turn left, for Miaoli-54, a small path that runs besides Hwy 3. A nice detour wit less traffic.


This sign indicates Hwy 3 straight ahead and Shuangliao, a little village in Miaoli, to the right



This is the section where Zhuolan's power plant can be found.


Miaoli-54-1, a curving road that will take me to Zhuolan. I love these little cozy hilly paths.


Beatufiul Miaoli


A river on this Miaoli-54-1


I have visited this little path several times during my year in Taiwan. It bears fantastic memories to me.


I did some good climbing on this section and the highest peak was this view of Zhuolan city. Just a descent past a local graveyard and I would be back in Zhuolan.



Zhuolan bridge between Taichung and Miaoli, the 150km mark of Hwy 3


Shortly after that, I made it to Fengyuan, where I stopped for tea time. Not long after that, I went back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment