Friday, October 9, 2015

August 23 2014: A 2014 pioneer in a Nantou filled with memories from 2012

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/571448041
176km, 6h58, elevation 1142m

I had been in Taiwan for about two weeks now and, apart from doing some crucial arrangements, I had only done cycling trips to Miaoli, which I read about in Michael Turton's blog. Today however, I wanted to do a Nantou trip. For today's ride I basically used some WayPoints in my Basecamp which I uploaded to my Garmin device. Those waypoints were Puli,  Shuili and Jiji, names I had come across some two years ago, during my cycling trip with the Taipei 3490 cycling trip.

The first section was leaving from Shalu via Taiwan Boulevard (Hwy 12) and then my GPS sent me over Route 127, going south. I did not realize it at the time, I was just blindly following my GPS. Anyway, later I somehow connected to Hwy 3, going further south via Wufeng and next thing I knew,  I was riding the legendary Hwy 14 from Caotun to Puli.


I stopped at a 7-11 in Wufeng for some recoveries and while I'm at it,  I checked to see if there were small pieces of rock in my tires.


First, I followed Route 127 to Wufeng and later I connected to Caotun on Hwy 14.


Just one of the stunning sceneries along this Hwy 14. I must have literally ridden this rode a hundred times now.


But on my first Nantou ride of 2014, it was just enough for me,  couldn't bear any tougher.


The weather was great,  with a gentil breeze to guide me on my way. This is somewhere between Caotun and Guoxing.


A rear view. Now that I look back at it,  this must be Pinglin village, Hwy 14's 27km mark.


In the skyline nothing but mountains and the Nr. 6 Expressway that goes all the way from Caotun to Puli. I would have very few encounters with that one.


This picture was taken somewhere in Guoxing, still along Hwy 14



There are a few tunnels along this Hwy, none of them are really long or dangerous, just long enough to temporarily loose the GPS signal :-)


This is Nantou, the most beautiful Taiwan has to offer


In Puli, I connected to Hwy 21 going South to Shuili. Apart from many tour buses, there was a few miles long ascent with some 7-8% gradient that was rough for me at the time. I could remember keeping the same pace with a giant truck that was accelerating the entire section.


Then I connected to Route 131, going for Jiji (check my Garmin map to be clear)




Actually my saddle height is way too low on this picture



Great times adventuring in the middle of Nantou. Good thing I had my GPS,  or I'd be screwed on this day.



I was steadily going south on Route 131 until I connected to Hwy 16, where Jiji is.


So far, so good! Good thing I brought sun tan though.


During my entire time in Taiwan, I only visited this spot once


Checheng visitor center, there is also a Checheng in Pingtung, in Southern Taiwan




A few quick snapshots of this Checheng place


Then I followed Hwy 16 for a while until I made it to Jiji. I did remember a lot from my trip in 2012 in Nantou, felt nice.


That's it: Sun Moon Lake, Jiji Station, all still here


Jiji city center



The Jiji Train Station,  been two years but I'm back!



After checking out Jiji and having a break, I programmed my GPS to lead me back to Shalu again. It sent me throug Hwy 16 and Hwy 3 going north,  making a minor detour over Changhua and back to Taichung again. It was a nice trip, with a very sweet 176km. Just got to keep this up and I'll be in good shape in no time!




No comments:

Post a Comment