Monday, October 19, 2015

October 14, 2014: Taking my newly installed 30mm tires out for a test ride at the "Triple Mount Challenge" route

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/612348469
151km, 6h28, elevation 2095m

Before today's ride, I had gone to the bike shop for a little adjustment: putting 30mm tires under my frame. I had done some research and I had found out that it is possible to mount a beefy 30mm tire under an SW Roubaix frame. It was a very narrow fit, but it was good to go. I had these tires spare from a bike I bought, so I was going to use these on my road bike. Why? Several reasons: superb flat tyre resistance, improved grip going downhill and in the corners and an overall feeling of more comfort. For someone like me,  killing it every time I hit the bike, these 30mm tires were perfect. Apart from their increased weight, I could only see benefits. Now let's do a little cycling trip to check out how these slick babies perform in the outdoors...


Luckily these ZIPP 30 wheels have an inner width of 16-17mm, slightly wider than the traditional rims (14-15mm). As a result, there was no problem for me riding these tractor tires on my bike.


They fit in just nearly and that reflective sideline will increase my safety at night. A good move indeed!


ZIPP 30 and 30mm tires, seems like they were made for providing the best training rides together!


Only downside is: I have to first slide the wheel in the brake caliper before I can pump it up. It is impossible to get a pumped up tire through the break caliper. 


The good part is, I only need some 80 PSI to get this thing active, unlike the 120 PSI for other sizes, which means that in case of a flat tire outside, I could just pump it up to some 65-70 PSI and it would get me home. Smaller tires would need at least 90 PSI and best 100 PSI to be able to guarantee the same thing.

Now let's hit the road! Today I did a tour of Nantou. I had saved the starting point of Route 136 as a WayPoint in my GPS. The first part of the trip was my GPS guiding me through Taichung city. Strangely enough it still took me about 90 minutes to get to that Hi-Life on the intersection of Route 129 and 136.

In Taichung city, navigating to Taiping area


The Toubiankeng river, straight ahead for Route 136

See that Hi-Life way in the back of this photo? That's where I had my first break of the day. I stocked up on water and snacks and set out again, ready to get my revenge on 136, a route that had me literally knocked out one month ago due to the crazy heat.  The first few miles of 136 were rather easy, with minor hills and descents and with some nice features alongside the road:


With Buddha watching over me, I can take this 136 ride easily


Route 136, one of the cycling classics in Central Taiwan


This where the pinchy climb of 136 starts to kick in

Exactly! After passing this sign the climb would start. The first section punched me with an immediate 12% ascent, that took long enough for me. I used the smallest cog on my bike to plow through. Pedaling gently but continuously, I slowly made my way to the top. This time without a sun stroke.


I took a few snapshots at a bridge just before the 12% ascent started.


Enjoying the panorama's of 136. It wasn't as hot as the last time I came here.


The direction from where I just came

When I made it up to Chikanding, I was happy. I got my revenge for last time and I even felt I was not completely drained from this climb. Now time for me to enjoy the fruits of my hard work.


The peak of this hill, Chikanding


Good job Bartman! Now carry on!



Chikanding, a place where I just have to take a picture, even though it's my tenth time here.


Chikanding with my beefy 30mm tyres.


One of the bystanders took this picture of me.

Then I went for the descent. The first thing I noticed was, no shit! These 30mm tires make a giant difference in grip and cornering. I was descending at higher speeds with much more confidence. Even the braking seemed to be going better as a result of the larger contact patch of the tire. I finished this descent with all the confidence a rider like me could need. I stopped once or twice for some pictures though. But the overall feeling with these tires was outspokenly positive!


After Chikanding there is a 9km descent that felt great. Those 30mm tyres provided me with quite some extra grip.

At the end of Route 136 there is also a Hi-Life. It almost seems like Hi-Life is sponsoring this Route 136 with two branches on both sides. Anyway, from there I took Hwy 14 for one mile and then I entered Guoxing city center via Route 133, which is a left turn from my position (check the map).

In Guoxing I took the trouble to check out the statue of Coxinga. As a Dutch national who has done quite some reading on this Sino-Dutch, or should I say Dutch Formosan era in colonial history, it was with mixed feelings that I saw this statue. Coxinga is a renowned character in Chinese history, but he is also the individual that slaughtered many of my ancestors.


Guoxing city center, with a statue of Coxinga, a history figure that is narrated in different ways across China,  Taiwan and Japan.

Once my history lesson was concluded, I continued my way north, to Hwy 21. I was gonna take Baimaoshan back to eastern Taichung. On my way I saw this Nantou-97 and I knew from studying the map that this would also connect to Taichung, to Xinshe. I even entered and asked a local how to go to Xinshe. I followed that road but soon there were five wild dogs chasing me big time. I packed my bags and headed back to Hwy 21. Was not in the mood to get a rabies injection today!


This Nantou-97 is a quest I have yet to fulfill. This path leads all the way to Xinshe.


Left: Caotun, Taichung, Sanzhi village. Right: Shibafen, Damaoping

Before commencing the actual climb of Baimaoshan, I did some sightseeing. There was a small bridge and I crossed it to check out what was there. Nothing much really


Changfu community, the community of the protracted luck


This spot is located at the 20km mark of Hwy 21 (near Baimaoshan). There is a small community hidden past this bridge. I didn't go all the way in though.


Local map


Local map with my current location.

Then I went back to Hwy 21 and completed my climb to Baimaoshan and the descent to Dongshi that would follow thereafter. I took this climb with relative ease and the descent was also a walk in the park. If you ask me, the 30mm tire experiment was quite successful.


Ergui bridge, at the 13km mark of Hwy 21. This is where the climb for Baimaoshan commences.


The central mountain range is very stunning and beautiful on this bright sunny afternoon


See the road going uphill? There will be 5km of climbing, until the 7.3km mark and then it goes downhill.

When I made it all the way down, there were two options I could do: 1) pass the bridge and go back via Hwy 8 2) Take Taichung-95-1 throughout Xinshe, climb to Zhongxinling and descent from there. For a change, I took the second option, which involved a third, yet smaller climb.


Taichung-95-1 in Xinshe, a connection to Taichung that runs parallel wit Hwy 8 and 3


In this picture you can see the bridge where Hwy 21 begins. The other shore is the central cross island Hwy 8


Lazin' on a sunny afternoon!


Zhongxingling, a small town in the Xinshe township. From here you can directly go to Shigang,  Fengyuan, Dongshi and Taichung city's Beitun area.


Watch out for cyclists, a warning Taiwanese drivers should actually put in action



In Xinshe (Route 129) I saw this Cycling Express warehouse, it is said to be Asia's largest online bike store. In my honest and humble opinion, I had never heard of it.


Hey guys, do you have a spare crankset that you want to through away? haha, nothing to collect here for me...

From Zhongxinling, I took a little road (Taichung-92) down to Shigang. From there I went back to Fengyuan to have some tea with my friends.


Back in Fengyuan (Hwy 3), time for some tea with my friends. Another fantastic ride in the pocket! I am seriously collecting miles here in my first two months in Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment