Thursday, October 22, 2015

September 23, 2014: Using Hwy 13, route 126 and Hwy 3 for a tourist loop around Miaoli

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/597106837
168km, 6h21, elevation 1598m

In my almost two months of living and working in central Taiwan, Miaoli has gradually become a cycling paradise for me, a tranquil haven where I can enjoy rides without facing too much traffic, noise and urbanization. For today's ride, I chose to engage Miaoli once more!

 The first part of the ride was like usual, Hwy 1 through Shalu and Dajia to Miaoli. But then I slightly changed my course and took route 140, which is relatively flat, going from west to east within Taichung. I kept following 140 until the intersection with Hwy 13. From my perspective, north would be Sanyi, south would be Houli and east would be Dongshi and Heping. I came from the west (Yuanli).

I literally climbed up Hwy 13 and I first tackled a long climb of a few km. This climb was tough enough for me, with a constant 8% or more gradient. Step by step I made it to the top and descended to Sanyi, where I had my first break of the day. Then I kept following Hwy 13 all the way north, passing by Sanyi, Tongluo, Miaoli city and eventually on to Touwu township, where I had been before. Hwy 13 had both ascents and descents and apart from the area in Miaoli city, the road was not too busy. In Miaoli city there was a somewhat longer climb and descent, passing by an university and a city center. Once I passed through Miaoli, I re-found the tranquility of previous rides to Miaoli.

In Touwu township, I once again went for Route 126 that took me through the Mingde Reservoir. I liked that section because of its tranquility and beautiful views. It felt like being able to disappear and enjoy myself.


A little temple on a slope, in Chinese this would be referred to as tudigong


It was warm so I put on some sun tan. It had not yet fully vanished from my face just yet. I also wore this little hat to protect my head from the formosan sun rays.


A view from that small temple to route 126 of the Mingde reservoir


Judge for yourself, tranquil right?


A thing I had noticed before is that Miaoli as a region did do some efforts for promoting cycling. I saw several cycling paths indications throughout Miaoli already, along 130, now here. Made me feel right at home!



Route 126 eventually brought me to this bridge, which I was not to cross. There is a road going left from here, which would lead me to Shitan. A small sign indicated that this bridge would lead to Touwu township. Must be a very small, hidden mountain path. Next time I have got to check that out!


The Chinese characters on the bridge are huan hu qiao, which means "circle-around-the-lake-bridge".


Local Taiwanese have been telling me that water levels are low these days. I could only agree, as I saw low water levels all around central Taiwan, from southern Nantou to northern Miaoli, it was all the same.


Sun tan still did not clear out completely haha


Careful for falling rocks, one thing you need to watch out for on mountain paths. Always wear a helmet and be prepared for a flat tire.


These rocks may have been sliding off this mountain during strong wind or rain. There are also road signs warning people about these rocks. Another reminder of how important a helmet can be.



Eventually route 126 led to Shitan (Hwy 3). I had my break at that Family Mart and then I took Hwy 3 all the way back to Fengyuan, passing through the frequently traveled villages of Shitan, Dahu and Zhuolan. I did not stop for pictures on that section, as I often pass through Hwy 3. I stopped for tea at my friends' place in Fengyuan and then I headed back home in the early evening. Another enjoyable Miaoli ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment