Friday, October 16, 2015

April 27 2015: Doing a Grand Tour de Changhua with my Vancouver Homeboy David Yu

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/758335427
204km, 7h05, elevation 698m

Usually I am a die-hard solo rider, but this week both of my rides were in the company of friends. I did a climb of Daxueshan with Jenny and now this Changhua ride with David. David is a Canadian-Taiwanese I met in Taipei in 2012. He's a cool guy and he has gotten into cycling lately. So we decided to do a ride together. To make sure I don't make his heart explode, we had our trip in the Western plains of Taiwan, more specifically Changhua and a little tad of Yunlin.

I did not take the usual route to Changhua. This time I went to Wuqi and took Hwy 17 south. I first crossed the Chung-Chang bridge (between Taichung and Changhua) and in Changhua's Shengang area,  I switch to Route 134 that would lead me to Changhua city.


The Chung-Chang bridge between Taichung city and Changhua county


Just a relaxing ride today, not too much of a climb, just plains and winds


New Holland in Taiwan


Eventually I made it to Changhua city. We met at the red gate of Route 139.


My bike def. kicks the shit out of those Ubikes


Two bikes, two gents, two sets of Mavic wheels


Long time no see! Now let's hit the road

 We set out West, taking a mix of roads that would eventually lead to Hwy 17. For those who care, Hwy 19 south and Route 142 west. We arrived in Fuxing township and took Hwy 17 further south. One funny thing, there were a couple of dogs in front of some house and I teased them by barking. But then they all jumped up and chased us. It definitely helped our cadence haha!


We cycled through the plains of Fangyuan and Dacheng township, then we crossed the bridge that separates Changhua and Yunlin, on to Mailiao township. Route 154 would bring us to the hometown of one of my close friends: Lunbei. A perfect excuse for some pictures.




Welcome to Lunbei,David!


A cute little bicycle lane that runs right next to Route 154.


Yunlin is full of fields, a truly remarkable sight! This si the closest Taiwan gets to Belgian and Dutch scenes.



I would like to spend some time to check out these offroad fields... 



We continued our way along 154 all the way to Xiluo, a cute little town in the North of Yunlin. We took some snapshots here and then we crossed the Xiluo Bridge. I first came here on my very first trip through central Taiwan.





Good times in Xiluo!


Careful, don't trip there David!


The Zhuoshui river


An American-Taiwanese cooperation


After crossing the Xiluo bridge, we were back in Changhua county. From there we started cycling 152 to the east, but we accidentally took a little path that runs parallel to 152. It was a lovely mistake as this looked like a bicycle touring path with lots of nice sceneries. Obviously this led to more pictures


David riding his newly Canadian purchased bike! Nice bike actually!


I am still riding this flatbar, since my road bike frame has not landed yet


That bridge is the Taiwan High Speed Rail, running from Taipei to Kaohsiung


Fields, paths and lovely weather, welcome to central Taiwan!


Enjoying the ride!


David was in the need for a drink. Can't blame it,  it was really hot, like 35° C.





Southern Changhua county


A good excuse to relax a little




All of the sudden, we saw a huge collection of R.O.C. army materials. Take that, CCP!



Makes our beloved bicycles look awfully tiny


In your face Beijing!


David getting in position to shoot some commi scumbags ahah



At this point I had no idea where we were, but we were having a good time and that's what matters


We saw a little path right next to our way, we climbed up the slope and went to check it out


A very tiny small road indeed, where would it lead to?



Probably not very road bike suited...


Mind the fabulous indications on the left in white graffiti. Xizhou and Ershui were the two choices offered.


Eventually we got back on track with 152 and we went even more east, until we saw Route 137. I could see David was a little tired, so I cancelled the original plan of cycling 139 back to Changhua. 139 would be over Bagua mountain, with some climbing, 137 on the other hand would be more flat. So that's why we went for 137. But first we took a little break in a small Hi-Life.



David enjoying his beverages hehe


After some good 25km of Route 137, I thought of that little cycling path that would connect to 139n and directly end in Changhua city. It was a nice green cycling path that I wanted to show David. Yes, there would be a little climbing.


So there we went! Engaging in the beauty of Changhua's cycling infrastructure. David was tired at this section so he took a few breaks. No worries, as long as we make it back in one piece!


It was hot enough on this day! Without a lot of climbing still burned a lot of calories


How can a crazy traffic road like 137 or 139 ever compete with this!


Almost back in Changhua city


David going at it!


Almost there buddy!


We made it back to Changhua city, one last picture together before our ways parted! We had a lovely ride!


I took Hwy 1 back home; passing through Dadu and Longjing. It was the first time I ever did more than 200km on my flatbar. I came back home with a feeling of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment