Sunday, October 25, 2015

December 15, 2014: La décima! My tenth 200km+ ride in Taiwan this year

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/651303665
201km, 7h36, elevation 2060m

With only a few days left before my return home for Christmas, this ride was all about numbers. I had been checking my Garmin Activities list and I had seen that in 2014 in Taiwan, I had done nine trips of more than 200km. So today would be my chance to collect a tenth 200km+ ride. That would be the only ambition for today's ride! I usually rotate between Miaoli and Nantou and this time, Miaoli would be the setting.

For the first part, I basically repeated the road I had already taken so often in 2014: Departing from Shalu, Hwy 1 to Tongxiao, Route 128 to Gongguan and north again via Hwy 13. But this time I went to the far northern point of Miaoli. I stayed on Hwy 13 until it collided with Route 124 in Sanwan township.


The first miles of Route 124


Good morning and welcome to my quest for a lucky number 10!


I had a break in Sanwan and then I was on track for Route 124. Route 124 was no unknown terrain for me, but I had never engaged it from this perspective. As soon as I deviated from Hwy 3 I saw the above sign, indicating Nanzhuang and Xianshan, places I had already visited a few times.


Welcome to Nanzhuang community. Nanzhuang means Southern village and yes, often you will see the name Beizhuang (Northern village) as well.


Shitoushan, Lion's head monkey. Obviously i was doing some exploring and adventuring along route 124.


At this spot I even saw a route that would lead to Xinzhu county, Xinzhu-41. It was something I have to look in later. I only cycled through Xinzhu twice, but this connection would provide me with a great long-ride.


Another Welcome to Nanzhuang sign, this time with a map.


Route 124 was not too difficult, it did have a section going uphill towards Xianshan, but the rest of it was doable. Traffic was also very low and the sceneries and panoramas were breath taking as usual.


Those mountains and hills are the eastern part of Miaoli and lead on to Xinzhu county.


I had to take a right here and stay on 124. The little road on the left is said to be very steep, the bicycle shop owner in Fengyuan once told me there is also a cyclist race held here every year.


A windmill, a rather Dutch sensation befell upon me.


Aboriginal villages along 124


Then there was a somewhat longer climb leading to Shitan township, which meant that Xianshan is close.


Eventually I did make it to Xianshan. I felt lucky to have been here several times in 2014. From here, the way down was rather steep so I had to be careful.


A look on the mileage for today and the calculation of the distance back to Shalu reassured me that 200km was within my reach, all I had to do is complete today's ride.


The panorama of Xianshan, beautiful as always


Then I took the last 5km of 124 which were all downhill. The first mile was very steep, the rest was ok. The road was dry which contributed to my safe arrival on Hwy 3. It was farewell to Road 124 after almost 50km of guidance. Next part: the romantic Hwy 3 back to Fengyuan and Taichung.


Yes, I was going left which is also south on the map.

I did not take too many pictures in this section because of the frequency of my visits here. It was the same chill ride as always: Shitan, Dahu, Zhuolan, with some ups and downs.


A picture taken in Shitan, before the somewhat larger climb. Must have been around the 120km mark.


This picture is near Zhuolan, around the 135km mark.


There she is, Zhuolan county! Miaoli's confine with Taichung! Fengyuan was close, and therefore my tea time was near!


After having tea and talks, I went back to Shalu. I just had to take another picture from this spot. I would always drink so much tea at my friend's place that I just had to stop for a piss on my way home. Well... this was the magic place haha. I think I literally peed here at least 40 times.


It was getting dark when I returned to Shalu. I took a mini detour over the Metropolitan Garden and I am glad I did so. This sunset was extremely beautiful, as if God rewarded me for accomplishing the ten 200km rides in 2014! Great feeling!


Beautiful Taichung! Good night and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment