Tuesday, October 20, 2015

October 16, 2014: An in-depth approach to Changhua's Bagua mountain scenic area

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/613597182
120km, 5h04, elevation 998m

Mission for today? Checking out Bagua Mountain. I had come by here on several occasions, taking Route 137 or 139 further south. But I had not taken the time yet to check out this Bagua Mountain region. I did some research at home and I found there are a few cycling paths, there is a big  Buddha and some more scenic views. So there I went, doing the same ride south via Hwy 1 to this spot:


The red gate is where Route 139 runs and thé way to literally go over Bagua Mountain.


After a first, modest climb I saw this small path. Well equipped with my 30mm tires, I decided to go check it out.


This lane was actually descending



Information on local bird types


At a certain moment, I heard the noise of barking stray dogs. I decided not to wait on them and head back before they'd see me. By heading back I meant going to Route 139.


I continued my climb for a few km and then I saw a brown sign indicating Hushanyan, which means something like Tiger mountain cliff. This was a pretty long descent of a few km and from looking at the map later on, I learned that this little path connected to Route 137.


Hushanyan, going up here will connect to Route 139 that runs over Bagua mountain


Then I went to check out another little bicycle lane, which would connect to 139 again, where the intersection with Hwy 74 is (check the map)


There was a small temple here and the road was going uphill back to 139



Cute little temple, a great place for reading a book!


30mm bike


This path was quite nice, leading through these paved forest roads with some ascent. Perfect for a quick morning or evening ride. The residents of Changhua are lucky to have this one!



More views of Changhua city



A devoted cyclist always stays focused!


This is the intersection between Route 139 and Hwy 74. I was going straight ahead and climb until Changhua-85, which would again bring me back to Route 137.


Being outside on days like these is such a joy!



Via Route 137 I went back to Changhua city, where I entered the red gate again, this time going for the big Buddha. That small street had a 12% ascent which still turned it into a pinchy climb. There were also construction works but traffic was low. And all of the sudden there she was, a GIANT BUDDHA statue right in front of me!


The big Buddha of Bagua Mountain


Not too many people around, I can really appreciate that!


Is that what I think it is? It is if you are referring to one giant big-ass Buddha statue!


I had to have a picture of me with this giant Buddha. Luckily there were other tourists as well...



Leaving the Big Buddha square


One more, from further out



Baguashan, Mount Bagua...


The skyline of Changhua city


I pass by here so often but I rarely check it out



A map of the Bagua scenic area



After wrapping up my quest in Changhua, I headed to Fengyuan for tea and later I went back home. A small and relaxing ride during which I learned a thing of two about Changhua.


Dusk at Shengang. Going to be dark before I make it back to Shalu

No comments:

Post a Comment