Monday, October 12, 2015

August 21 2014: A cyclist that just arrived in Taiwan, out exploring and adventuring in this maze called Miaoli

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/570133032
115km, 5h15, elevation 1536m

Today would be another Garmin guided tour and therefore a lovely cycling trip. From Shalu I was sent to Fengyuan, Shigang and Dongshi, the eastern area's of Taichung. This first picture of the day is taken at Shicheng, between Shigang and Dongshi.


I could feel it right away,  it would be a good ride today. Hard not to, with such a fantastic bike!


These ZIPP wheels are good training wheels, but nothing for a race


A beautiful view over eastern Taichung


I stopped in that 7-11 in Zhuolan city center for a breakfast. I had done about 30km on an empty stomach now.


My neatly equipped DI2 racing monster

Then the journey continued. I was guided through a road which I would later learn was called Miaoli-55. It is basically a detour next to Hwy 3 that leads to Nanu in Southern Miaoli. I met a young guy cycling there. Just a high school kid with a regular bike, but for my physical shape at the time, he was not behind too much. We chatted a little and cycled this section together.


After some climbing I wanted a picture, but actually I needed a rest haha


Beautiful and tranquil Miaoli on a sunny morning,  super beautiful.


That guy was kind enough to take a picture of me. Looking back I realize that I was too big at the time. Good thing I have a strong will and passion for cycling.


I was clueless at the time,  but looking on the Garmin map later,  I saw that the GPS connected to another small path called Miaoli-54, which would then lead to Hwy 3. From there we basically crossed the street and connected to Route 130. The one I had cycled before, because I had seen it on Michael Turton's blog.


The first few km go uphill until Jiangmayua (English: Ginger garden). At that time,  those 4-5km uphill were too much for me and I took a break after 2km, resulting in these pictures.


I really needed to take five right here.


But the view was nice, really nice! I will never forget the magic that surrounded this cycling trip, just exploring and exploring in Miaoli. A fabulous experience!


My precious bike!


A somewhat tired rider.


After that we continued our climb, going steadily and enjoying the views. For me, who had just been in Taiwan for less than two weeks, it was hot enough.


So there was another break haha



I never gave it much thought, but this area right here is pure beauty!


Eventually we made it to the top of Route 130, the ginger garden. That view was also nowhere far from astonishing. I had landed in paradise and I just started to realize it!


Ginger Garden, Jiangmayuan in Mandarin


Local map for more info



In green; the characters for Ginger garden. Through the course of my year in Taiwan, I visited this place several times.


After Jiangmayuan,  it went downhill until Sanyi city, where I had a break and that guy went back home. For me there was more 130, having a 2km very steep (12%!) climb uphill and then a very long downhill section. If you check the map,  that's where I was going west, in the direction of Yuanli. That descent felt really good, gave me some time to relax and regain strenghts.

Then I must have done something wrong, something my GPS did not indicate correctly. I was kinda lost at the moment, clueless on my location. I could only retrieve this from the pictures and the Garmin map. Basically near the end, route 130 made a L turn but I went straight ahead, according to the map, that's Miaoli-43. From there,  I somehow landed on Miaoli-50 and kept going. I only remember that this section was kinda remote, more tranquil than tranquil. After a few km, I saw Miaoli-50 wasn't leading anywhere,  so I headed back and took the other little path I found. This was even worse, looked like a forest path, and I had no signal here, with no name indication on the map,  just a small river lying next to it, called the Shitou river (the rock river), so I turned around again. Actually I should go back to check that all out. Too bad I never did...

Eventually my GPS somehow picked up the signal and sent me back to Route 130


Off course, but man what a lovely day this is!


Today I really got a deep impression of Miaoli for sure! Riding like a local with this GPS, awesome!



This is where I felt I was not going in the right direction, I could feel leaving society behind me and even the people on the street were looking at me like: "Where the heck is he going?"


Ay mami, hace mucho calor hoy, verdad?!


I went straight ahead, where I ended up in some forest path. When I lost my GPS signal I decided to head back.



This is that little forest road. At the time,  I was afraid of wild animals. I should have gone further to check this all out. Will surely do this whenever I have the chance to.


Riding with 23mm tires here was not very soothing; but with 28mm, I want to go back for it.


The strongest GPS for bicycles has no signal here. Says enough about this position I guess...


So I turned back and sought my way outside. Just to be clear,  I was enjoying this, I really was


A lovely bright Miaoli afternoon, this is when I realized life can be good, just exploring outside without a worry on my head.


The sun ain't the only thing that's shining today haha

Eventually I made it back to Route 130, which led back to Yuanli. From there I took Hwy 1 back south to Qingshui and Shalu.


The bridge between Dajia and Qingshui


Enticing summer rice fields


I had a blast today!


Nothing fake about this joyful expression here. Did not complete any serious numbers today, but I had good times outside! To be continued!


No comments:

Post a Comment