Saturday, October 3, 2015

August 29 2014: A 150km mix of Miaoli roads presented to me by my Edge 1000

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/577498708
149km, 5h52, elevation 1266m

Another weekend and another chance for some good cycling. Today I did not solely follow the routes garmin proposed, but I also navigated based on a map I bought in the 7-11 for 88 NT. My goal was to do some cycling in Miaoli. Why Miaoli? I had read about cycling adventures on Michael Turton's blog and from his blog, Miaoli seemed like a tranquil cyclist's paradise. That was no illusion.

So I head north from Shalu, taking Hwy 1 through Qingshui and Dajia, over the Dajia river, all the way until Miaoli, where I passed Yuanli. I took a first stop after some 40km, at a 7-11 in Tongxiao. There, I studied the map and I decided I wanted to check out Route 128, which would lead east, into central Miaoli's Tongluo and Gongguan areas. 

At that time, 128 had enough altitude gain in there for me. The first few miles were fine, but then there was a climb for a few km and a downhill section again; Just following that section brought me to Gongguan, where I took the first picture of the day:


Route 128 ended with a T-split, I took the left (Route 119-2) up North. After only a few km, that road also ended in a T-split. This time I went east, going for Miaoli-26-2. Just open my garmin map on the top of the page, and you will be right on track with me. This is where the surroundings become more tranquil and remote. This road also had a small climb in it.


When I saw this, I realized this must have been a cycling route. Made me feel right at home.


There were indications on how to connect to Hwy 3 in the east of Miaoli. I rode to the end of this Miaoli-26-2 until I arrived in Shitan.


To the left and just keep going straight, you will make it to Hwy 3 eventually.  Nanhe would have to be explored in another trip.


My new bike, bought it in late May of this year. My first ever S-Works bike. Hopefully it will stand by me for many years and 40,000km.


A selfie, can't go without anno 2014






When I reached Hwy 3, I first stopped in the Family Mart in Shitan, and then I headed South, to Dahu (the strawberries valley). There is a place called Wenshui along this road,  where you can take a right for Hwy 6. I went in there and cycled Hwy 6 which from that direction went West and North.


I made a stop at this section because my Ultegra DI2 system blocked. I could not pedal anymore. Luckily it was just the chain that got caught behind the crankset and I could fix this myself. While I was here, I might as well take some pictures


It was a very beautiful day


The next picture indicated the road back to Gongguan (in central Miaoli)


A preliminary stat of my Garmin. Almost reached a 100km





More cyclists joining me haha


At this section I was not sure how to go back south, so I asked a lady in a betelnut shack. But she didn't seem happy about the fact I did not purchase anything haha. I thanked her anyway for the road indications. Hwy 6 ended up at Route 119-2 again, this time going south, connecting to Route 119, also going south, to Sanyi.


This is road 119, which would lead to Sanyi. My Garmin was giving me directions right now.


A few minor ascents and descents kept the road from being too dull, although I really liked the views.


Some more footage




When I saw this section, I was thinking that I really wanted a Specialized Diverge bike, so I could ride minor offroad sections like these.




Going up and down and up and down again, Route 119 finally connected to Sanyi. I stopped at a 7-11 in the center where I met a Belgian dude whose name was also Bart. He had a Taiwanese friend there who worked at the Farmer's Association. He invited me for foods at the local branch, which was just next door; I joined them and had a nice vegetarian free meal; We chatted for over an hour, when I decided to head back home. My GPS sent me over 130, which had a good climb for me and finally I reached Hwy 1 again, the one I had cycled earlier in the morning. That's how I went back to Shalu and concluded a lovely summer trip in Miaoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment