Friday, October 23, 2015

November 23, 2014: Enjoying a small ride throughout Miaoli's route 130 and 54-1 with my flatbar bike

Garmin Activity: no Garmin recording (flatbar bike)

So here's the deal: My SW Roubaix was in the bike shop because I was having my Ultegra 6700 DI2 groupset changed by a 6800 one. Why? Because the 6700 cannot match a 32t cog and the 6800 can. I am really in a need for this 32t because I always cycle in the mountains and often there are sections of 15% and steeper. Well, that took the bikeshop three working days, so for today's ride I could only rely on my flatbar buddy, the Specialized Sirrus comp disc.

I wanted to do some cycling and I decided to go for route 130 from west to east and then Miaoli-54 and 55, which would lead me back to Zhuolan. That way I would have collected around 130km with some 1500m of elevation gain. More than good enough for this 12kg bike! I set out a lot later than usual. It was already noon when I left Shalu. I did the traditional Hwy 1 to Yuanli where I connected to Route 130.


Route 130 on a beautiful sunny afternoon. This is the first part, before the climb.


Going right, for Dahu


A lovely day for a medium range ride.


Me riding my flatbar, woo-hoo!


The weather was just perfect! I mean, a little hot, but this beautiful sky and the tranquility of this area on a Monday afternoon. Fabulous!


The hills of Miaoli. On the map you can see how Route 130 climbs and descends to Dahu and then climbs to the Ginger Garden (Jiangmayuan) and then descends again to Hwy 3


A cute small sideway, maybe I'll check that out on another day


A picture of me climbing with my bike. Although the E5 alloy frame is not light and those 32mm tires where really beefy, I still was able to plow my way through very steep sections, thanks to the 34t cog I had installed by the Specialized Taichung store. This somewhat heavier set-up def. made for a god workout.


Climbing to Sanyi


If I were in a need to crash a little and while away on this fabulous Monday afternoon, that little shack right there would be my crib. That thing is just way to cool to go by unnoticed. This entire location gave my heart what it needed: nature's beauty and tranquility combined with a challenging ride. At this moment I was considering myself very lucky to be so free and be able to live such a wonderful life. A mystery surrounded me all of the sudden.

I completed the first climb and descended to Sanyi. There is a 2.5km long descent of 12% which also goes straight ahead without a single twist or turn. It is one of the few spots in Taiwan where you can really jam your bike downhill with a superb speed. I believe I tipped 68km per hour, which was insanely fast, but my disc brakes gave me all the confidence I needed. Once in Sanyi city, I stopped at the 7-11 for some drinks, I needed to be hydrated. Then I attacked the second climb that led to the Ginger Garden, one of Miaoli's pearls. If you have not been there yet, go there!


A few from the Ginger garden. Far in front of me is Hwy 3 and Zhuolan township.


Cristal clear-blue sky on a summer day.; The best November 23 I have ever witnessed! Even better than the one in 2012.


Yeah, I felt great. This trip may not be the longest or the most challenging one, but I was def. enjoying this ride big time!


Jiangmayuan aka Ginger Garden


OK, enough goofing around, time to go down! On my descent, I once again experienced the joys or disc brakes. I had so much control and my beefy tires really gave me cushion and grip in the corners.


I connected to Hwy 3 and right after that there was another small route to the left which is called Miaoli-54. I climbed the first hill and then took another turn right, which is this Miaoli-54-1. It is one of those super chill hilly rides to Zhuolan. Definitely way better than Hwy 3!


After several ups and downs I made it to this point. The temple in the background is a mourning hall, there is a cemetery here. This section was close to Zhuolan city. After a steep descent that led through the graveyard, I made it to Zhuolan city.


From Zhuolan city I connected to Hwy 3, crossed the bridge to Taichung and then took the first lane right, which is Taichung-40. It is a small road that leads to Houli. From Houli I went to Fengyuan where I had tea with my friends.


There was a farm along Taichung-40. When i came too close to the fence, all the animals jumped up and approached me. So I ran for it!


Taichung-40 also presents some nice ups and downs, eventually it will lead to Houli. Houli is a confining township with Fengyuan so I was really close. I had some fun tea time talks and then I headed back home. Still a nice ride though and a very good workout!


No comments:

Post a Comment