Sunday, October 25, 2015

October 3, 2014: Suffering from my first flat tyre right in the middle of Lugu's Xitou tourist area

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/604394950
202km, 8h14, elevation 1856m

Taiwanese cyclists told me there were three major climbs in the central Taiwan area, with Wuling in Nantou as the undisputed number one. Number two was Daxueshan, the Great Snow Mountain in Eastern Taichung. And then there is a third one, in Nantou's Lugu area, called Xitou/Sanlinxi. I had done Daxueshan before, I was not ready yet for Wuling, but Xitou/Sanlinxi sounded good.

I did my homework and researched the map of central Taiwan. Basically I needed to go to Zhushan township in southwest Nantou. From there I could take Route 151 and I would just have to follow that direction. That would be a nice climb of more than 2000m elevation.

I headed out south, from Shalu to Dadu, over the Dadu bridge on to Changhua city. This was easy, I just had to take Hwy 1.


Hwy 1, Longjing early in the morning! I left really early this time! I was prepared for a long ride.


Still drowsy, where's my wake up coffee!


Dadu bridge between Taichung's Dadu and Changhua city

Originally, I had prepared to take Route 139 in Changhua. I had seen on the map how this connected south. But I could not find any road sign in Changhua and when I asked people, nobody knew what "Route 139" was. That stupidity actually irritated me. How can a local not know the numbers of their routes? Anyway, I did bring my 88 NT map and I saw that route 137 would also get me to where I needed to be. I did see the sign indicating 137, so I stopped wasting time and just went for it. We can do 139 another day!


Daye University in Changhua (Yuanlin). I once did a job application with them, so it was funny encountering this uni's name. Too bad that due to permit restrictions, I could not get the job.


Along route 137, for those in the need to chill a li'l...


My first break of the day after 50km, time to eat some Mantous and power up for the next stage!

Route 137 was not in a very good condition,  to express myself politely. It made me realize why I ever bought a Roubaix. Anyway,, I rode it to the end. Then I switch to 150, the road that connects with Nantou's Mingjian area. Route 150 had some amazing views.


A bit unclear with the contralight, but this is Nantou county's Mingjian township. I had to complete a few miles of climbing before I reached Mingjian. Looking back at the map, that climb was Bagua mountain.


Nantou's Mingjian area... There is something mysterious about cycling in Nantou county, can't really put my finger on it, but there is definitely a feeling of magic every time I'm here. Next time I need to check out that Nantou-38 little path to Shuili. Sounds adventurous!


The remoteness of Nantou in the early morning leaves me speechles. Splendid views along route 150.

Route 150 connected with the big Hwy 3. I was in Mingjian, going south for Zhushan, where my next connection was. This part of Hwy 3 was really wide,  with two lanes on each sight. Along the road I could see signs indicated the Xitou and Sanlinxi tourist areas. I knew I was going the right way!


After a bridge, I saw the sign of Route 151, the entrance to Lugu and Xitou mountain. There was a Family Mart where I restocked my provisions before attacking the climb of the day.


A tourist map of Lugu brought to you by Family Mart... This is a scenic spot packed with tour buses. There were a lot of them.


I am pointing my current location, I need to climb up the yellow line all the way to the end

I just set foot outside of the Family Mart and boom! there was a 12% ascent. The first three turns were steep enough for me. Then the gradient became weaker and I was able to get my climbing diesel running. I noticed that there were a LOT of shops selling tea. Apparently Lugu is also a tea paradise.


My goal was Route 151 to Xitou, but seeing a connection to Shuili once again baffled my geographic understanding of the region. It was something I needed to check out later!


The Lu in the word Lugu means deer. Apparently this is one of the area's where there used to be a massive deer population several centuries ago. But due to extensive trading and yacht, the species has become extinct on Taiwan; One of the dark pages of colonialism.


The first few miles were already very steep

I took a rest here. I remember those 12% gradients being more than enough for me


To be honest, traffic was pretty intense in this area. This will probably be one of those "been there, done that" rides, which will not have a second turn.


Yaoguai cun, Chinese for monster village. My friends in Fengyuan told me about this place and how it's cool at night. I wasn't gonna stay to see it in darkness.

The first part from Lugu to Xitou was about 20km and all uphill. The pavement was not very smooth and there were a lot of tour buses. Not the perfect conditions. Just before arriving at the Xitou area, I felt I was having a lot of resistance from my rear tire. It happened when I was standing on the bike. Few seconds later I realized what had happened! My first flat tire in Taiwan 2014! Damn!


Then out of the blue, I had a flat tire. D*mned! I really hate those 23mm tires. But I must honestly admit that this is my first flat tire in three months of extensive cycling. I might have done 4000km before getting a first flat. Anyway, this flat cost me a lot of time. And eventually meant I did not continue all the way up to Sanlinxi.



Yeah, pump it up, CO2! Luckily it did help to give the tire enough pressure to get me home. Wasn't perfect though, which resulted in a nervous second part of this ride. Did not want to flat again!


OK, my darling is ready to hit the road again! I seriously hate flat tires. To me it is one of the everlasting downsides of road cycling. Getting everything back in order took me about twenty minutes and when I saw it was already noon, I decided not to continue all the way to Sjanlinxi. I had a conversation with a Taiwanese dude, who said it would be foggy in Shanlinxi. I decided to head to Fengyuan for tea and do Shanlinxi another day.


The panorama of western Nantou


Enjoying the view

I descended route 151 the same way as I came up and I connected to Hwy 3. From the map I could see that Hwy 3 was the best connection to Fengyuan. So I did the whole thing, from Zhushan to Mingjian, Nantou, Caotun, Wufeng, Taichung, Beitun; Tanzi and Fengyuan; With all the stop signs and traffic lights, it took me long enough. But I made it to Fengyuan on time.


A big temple in the middle of Taichung, this is the Wufeng area, located south of Taichung


Cycling through the city in the afternoon means a lot of red signs and other stops.

In Fengyuan we had a barbecue for Mid Summer Festival. Of course this festival had already passed, but Shuwei just came back from China and my Fengyuan friends invited me to join them. I came home rather late that evening.

202km at the end of the day, not bad, bot bad at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment