Thursday, October 1, 2015

November 10 2014: My first ever 3275m elevation show down with Wuling at Mt. Hehuan

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/630302370
266km, 11h06, 3630m elevation

Garmin map of this crazy ride: I went from Shalu to Wuling and all the way back, via the same road

Every cyclist in Taiwan has one goal: to cycle up to the highest peak of the island, Wuling, located at 3275m elevation. People drive their car from Taipei to Nantou for it, or they spend the night in a nearby hotel and they go for Wuling the next day; The traditional ride is Puli Central Geographic Steele to Wuling. Somewhere about 55km and 2800+ elevation gain.

Having been mostly among cyclists, I had already heard of this number one KOM challenge on this island. My Fengyuan friends even went there a few weeks ago, but I could not join them because they left too early. Moreover, they would start cycling from Qingjing farm, which is basically the halfway point between Puli and Wuling, making the whole trip devoid of a real challenge. But ever since, Wuling has been on my list seriously.

I did some map research and I indicated two possible trips for today, one being Wuling, the other one being Lushan. I was gonna decide this outside, when I had a good view on the weather and my progress. This day started ridiculously early, I started pedaling at 3am. No that is not a typo, that is A.M., AT MORNING, ad meridium in Latin.


At the time my geographical knowledge was not up to date yet, and I wanted to avoid Taichung city due to traffic and signs. So I went south from Shalu, to Changhua city, and then straight for Hwy 14 through Fenyuan, following that Highway 14 all the way to Puli and Wushe. I only saw this section in complete darkness. I don't know what was running through my head. Wouldn't have done this back home.


Fenyuan in the middle of the night, only for lunatics like myself


Just before reaching Puli, light befell upon me. This is where I decided it would be Wuling and not Lushan today.


After approximately three hours, I made it to Puli, where I had a good meal. Then I took Hwy 14 to Wushe. I made a giant cyclist's mistake on today's trip: In the last 7-11 of Wushe I wanted to eat enough to avoid being hungry on my way up, but I ate way too much. I was so stuffed that goign uphill was really a punishment. I even took a quick nap at the 7-11 in Qing Jing because my stomach was too full. Really a very bad calculation of me! It kinda spoiled the fun of this climb.


Good thing the weather stood by me. It would be a beautiful day.


4km mark of Hwy 14-2



Because of my full stomach, I was struggling for every kilometer. I had read some blogs online about the gradients and I found them to be harder than I pictured. Once again, because I ate too much.


Next time I will def. try to dose my nutrients well. For now I could only keep climbing and suffering


There was a very small descent over here, a good chance for some relief. Too bad the road went up really fast again, and really steep...


Time for a little break at this stop, this is the 15km mark.




Cuifeng, elevation 2302, that means 1200 left.


My GPS device was keeping me informed about the numbers of elevation and altitude. I knew the top was located at 3275m so I was able to make good calculations. I must say, I feel that I was not physically ok yet for this climb. Luckily I have a fighters mentality and I would walk my way up.


After Cuifeng (18km), the next stop was Yuanfeng (24km). The miles went really slow and I bought a lot of water at Yuanfeng. While I was there I saw a text message from my Taiwanese friend Liao Shijie. He said to me: You must be there already? Unfortunately I had to inform him about my very poor tactical move at breakfast and the nap I took at Qingjing. I was only at Yuanfeng and there was 8km of pure climbing left. Eight km seemed little, but it was more than I could bear in my current position.


Yuanfeng, disappointed that they don't sell any foods (descent foods that is)


The skyline at Wuling, I could see what I was still facing. Really impressive though


Admittedly, after Yuanfeng I had seriously emptied my tank. The result:
having to take breaks every single mile. It was not a lack of condition, it was more like, my legs can't take this anymore. I did keep a close look at my heart rate, wasn't gonna go out of bounds for that vital parameter. Heart rate was fine, just having serious leg aches.


The beautiful scenes of Hehuan mountain surprised and baffled me.


This turn was very steep, somewhere around 14%


Taroko National Park, suddenly I started thinking about my trip around the island of Taiwan, somewhere in late August 2013, when I had seen a similar sign on Suhua road, between Su'ao and Hualien; I know that the Taroko park would lead all the way throughout Taiwan, but this was the first time I cycled up here. It gave me a boost to tackle the last part/



A tourist was kind enough to take a picture of me. Bartman's first Wuling crusade






Kunyang, 3070 meters. That meant only 200 meters left. And my Taiwanese friends told me that it was only 2km from this spot to Wuling. I could even see Wuling far away in the skyline.


You see it? On the top right of this picture...


Very close! It was getting late, a lot later than my schedule allowed me, but no way in hell I was going to head back without having touched base!


This female tourist absolutely wanted to have a picture with me, probably because I'm white..


The 2km from Kunyang to Wuling still forced me to two breaks. That was how destroyed I was from everything. But what matters is that I reached the top! I had now officially accomplished every Taiwanese cyclist's goal: cycling all the way up to the highest point of the island. And I did it from Shalu, adding a good 80km over those who did it from Puli; I had 132km on my GPS now.



Always somebody here to help you with pictures and selfies. I was happy to be here, it really meant something. It gave my 2014 something extra




Then I noticed fog was coming, I had to go down. I could not waste anymore time




Bye bye Wuling! Thanks for this lovely day! I will be back!





Can you see the difference from an hour earlier? That's what happens in the mountains in Taiwan: mist








A few pictures of my way down


Renzhiguan


I went back home exactly the same way I came here: via Hwy 14 and Hwy 1. It was dark when I was in Caotun, the last 50km were in complete darkness. When I came home I felt like a champion. This had been a legendary ride, with a stunning 265km in 11 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment