Sunday, October 18, 2015

September 18 2014: A 200km circle with the purpose of studying the Taichung, Changhua and Nantou regions

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/593242652
200km, 7h54, elevation 1763m

More traveling with the map of Taiwan in my backpack, that was the purpose of this trip. The first part of this trip was Hwy 1 via Longjing and Dadu to Changhua city. In Changhua, I kept following this Hwy 1 further south, to Yuanlin. I originally planned to take Hwy 1 even further south but when I saw this Route 148 sign that indicated Caotun, I changed my course.


I took a first brake after 50km at that 7-11 in the background.


It was warm enough to go sleeveless, even in the early morning


Obviously in a good mood


If you closely look at the map, you will see that Route 148 runs over Bagua mountain, so that means some climbing. There were a few km going uphill, at some point this road crosses again with Route 139 (yeah complicated) and then runs further to Caotun in Nantou. Once in Nantou, you will see the indications for Hehuan mountain etc.


In Caotun I spontaneously connected to Hwy 14. I had done a trip here in August, so I was down with the geography here. When I saw this replica of an R.O.C. combat tank, I just had to take a few pictures. Always helpful when responding to cross strait crises ;-)



But I guess this is an older type, maybe from the old days in 1949, when the KMT started illegally occupying Taiwan


Makes my bike look tiny! Glad I wasn't born in a combat age



The views along Hwy 14. In Caotun, Hwy 14 has its 20km mark. I stayed on this road all the way to Puli (55km mark). The weather was good and the panoramas were eye-caressing


There are a few tunnels on this road, between the 37km and 49km mark. Yeah, I know by heart because I pass there every month.


Sun is shining in Guoxing township

Time for a break in Puli. I studied the map while taking some snacks in the 7-11 and I saw that Hwy 21 runs from Puli to Guoxing and further do Dongshi. I had cycled the Guoxing to Dongshi section a few weeks ago. That mountain is called Baimaoshan (white hair mountain). Today I would cycle all the way from Puli to Dongshi (45km). On the map I also saw that this would bring me in a good position to visit my Fengyuan friends for tea. So there I went, attacking Hwy 21.


The first few miles were flat. There were constructions works going on, but I could pass without too much trouble.


That building soaring up in the sky is the "Central Taiwan Monastery". I will be honest, I did not realize it at this moment. I passed by here several times on later trips and that's when I found out.



A small community here. I do wonder why they put a train here? There is no train in Nantou... Anyway, at the left of my picture is the entrance to Nantou-73, which leads to this Central Taiwan Buddhist Monastery.




In about one km, I would have the first climbing section. There would be around 4-5km of climbing until the 34km mark and then a long descent all the way to Guoxing. Then there would be a second climb, the Baimaoshan I referred to earlier.


Feeling good! Gonna collect 200km today!


The aerodynamic me!


Dedicated to cycling this machine and exploring these areas. I really felt free over here.


This would not be Nantou without all these betel nut trees


And one from this angle...



A water Ferris wheel. This spot was right in between Puli and Guoxing township.


More construction works along Hwy 21, only one lane open for traffic. I could pass swiftly, not many vehicles here in a regular Thursday.


There was a Family Mart where I took a break and then I started the second, somewhat tougher climb of Hwy 21: Baimaoshan. As this picture above indicates, still a long way to go to Dongshi.



Eventually I made it back to Xinshe and Dongshi. This is the bridge that leads to Heping and Guguan. I was going left, back to Taichung.


Good cycling today


A rear view of what is Xinshe. The Dajia river separates Dongshi and Xinshe townships.


If you go this direction for 13km, you will be in Shigang


The big clock of the Dongshi bridge


The Great Dongshi Bridge, where you can connect to Zhuolan (right) and Shigang and Fengyuan (left). In about 12km I would be at my friends house in Fengyuan for tea


I stayed there for a few hours and then I headed back. This picture above is from a temple in Shengang, along Hwy 10 that leads to Shalu.


I saw some R.O.C. tanks earlier on the day, now I needed to check out what kind of aircraft would be used for defending Taiwan's sovereignty.



I was home again from a long 200km ride passing through three counties. I learned a lot about central Taiwan's geography today! Excellent work!




No comments:

Post a Comment