Wednesday, October 7, 2015

February 18 2015: Rounding up a double century before CNY dinner in Fengyuan

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/700298822
201km, 8h25, elevation 2688

February 18 was my first Chinese New Year ever in Taiwan. Unlike most people, I did not make a big trip to somewhere, I just made use of the few free days to enjoy some relaxing cycling. For today I had been invited by my friends in Fengyuan. They would have a nice dinner and I was to meet them at five pm. A local tradition says that one's daughter must spend CNY eve at the home of her husband's parents, so for Mr. Cai that meant that his two daughters were not home.

I decided I would do a nice, relaxing ride in Miaoli. So as usual, I headed out north, taking Hwy 1 through Qingshui and Dajia, going up to Miaoli's Yuanli and Tongxiao. Then I connected to 128 to Gongguan and took the Hwy 13 further up north; Today I would take the little road located south of Mingde reservoir (Miaoli-16).


The road entrance was clearly visible from Hwy 13: Miaoli-13


En route for the Mingde Reservoir


As you can see on the map, I was not taking Route 126 north, but Miaoli-16 south, which would eventually connect to Route 126.



Some climbing but nothing dreadful


Good morning sunshine! First 80km already in the pocket


At this spot, I went downhill on the left. The signs indicate "Mingde Village" and Shitan along Hwy 3


That's it, going down steadily


I came across a lady in a scooter here,  my intuition told me she could be Vietnamese. She greeted me with a gentile expression. Must be the hidden magic of Miaoli-16!



I had seen this bridge various times, passing by it from the other side (via Route 126). Today I finally came from the other direction. This is where Miaoli-16 ended and connected to Route 126. Shitan in just a few km.



Just a nice tranquil ride, all I need to have a good time



Here we are, Shitan Township in Miaoli. Hwy 3 in less than one mile. When I reached Hwy 3, I went straight for Xianshan (Route 124), with it's five km steep climb. I found myself in a much better shape than last time and it went really well.


After five km I made it to Xianshan. Next would be following 124 until I can make the connection to Tai'an township via Xinzhongheng.


From Xianshan there are still a few climbs in the road. In about 4-5km I can start attacking the most dreadful section of the ride: Xinzhongheng with crazy gradients




The road for Tai'an, going south over these very steep hills


Beautiful, but so steep! Not a good location for a group ride. Solo is fine


Gaining (or loosing) several hundreds of meters of altitude in only a few km. Definition a double digit gradient


Happy Chinese New Year man! Passed the halfway point at some 110km.


Yes, I did make good usage of my 32T cog in this section


These views are fabulous though, so tranquil and impressive!


Good thing I brought my camera for this ride. Would've been a shame if I hadn't


The Tai'an tunnel, which means my arduous climb has come to an end


Only 2.5km before the end of this section


Tai'an hot spring (Miaoli-62) straight ahead


Maybe not very clear from the picture, but I was really going all out on my brake calipers here.


Going left


In 10km, this Miaoli-62 will connect to Hwy 3


Welcome to the Tai'an Hot Spring village. A nice place to relax after a busy week.


Great ride,  great memories


After connecting to Hwy 3, I decided to take this little road to Zhuolan. I could've taken Hwy 3 as well but there is more traffic there. Plus Miaoli-55 will always have that first-cycling-trip-ever-special memory. Really love this route.


After finishing Miaoli-55 I arrived in Zhuolan city center. I checked my watch and saw that I still had enough time before 5 pm. So I decided to take Miaoli-58 east to that Baibufan bridge and then go back to Taichung via Taichung-47. Would be a 25km detour, but it would make me surpass the 200km mark for this ride. Numbers I could not refuse!




Eventually Miaoli-58 connected to Route 140. This is the section where left is the way to Siangbi and other tribes and right is the connection to Heping and Dongshi, which would lead back to Fengyuan. The latter is exactly what I did,  adding a few more hundred meters of elevation.



On the 10km mark of Taichung-47 there is an entrance to Daxueshan (Big Snow Mountain). One of my local friends told me this road connects to the Dadong Police Station, BUT that it is no suitable road for a road bike. I will have to come back for this one some day. Really need to tick this off the to do list.

From here, I went to Dongshi and to Fengyuan. When I arrived,  it was only 4:30pm. I had a great meal with my friends and late in the evening I went home, having done exactly 200km. That little Miaoli-58 Taichung-47 detour was absolutely perfect! Great ride today! Hope to do more of these rides during the CNY holiday week.


No comments:

Post a Comment