Monday, February 15, 2016

September 4-8, 2014: My first return to Taipei during the Mid-Summer Festival


During the Mid Summer Festival, I went to Taipei for a few days. I wanted to visit some of my old friends. This time I went die-hard, by bicycle.

Day 1: September 4, 2014. Cycling from Taichung all the way to Taipei
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/585735401
204km, 7h51, 906km

The story of my first day was quite funny. Actually I had a job interview in the Neihu area. I had prepared the company's location as waypoint in my GPS. I had decided on cycling along Hwy 1, the coastal one that runs over the plains.

I woke up early and started to cycle at 5:24 am. It was still dark but not for long anymore. I descended along Taiwan Boulevard and accessed highway 1 in Qingshui. From there the road was easy to follow: just go north to Dajia, Yuanli and Tongxiao. I had already visited these areas on previous rides. North of Tongxiao was a 29 km stretch to Houlong and then I was already in Xinzhu. There was one longer climb just before Xinzhu. I think I climbed about 200 meters there, but soon it descended again.

I kinda raced with myself and said that I would only have a break after 75km, which was in Xinzhu city. While I was having food there this strange woman walks up to me and starts talking to me in crappy English, saying she knows all about Americans. I did not even bother to reason with her and i marched on further north.



About sixty km from Taipei, I stopped in a 7-11 and I started chatting with this guy. He was impressed that I cycled from Taichung to Taipei.



Very soon Taoyuan appeared in front of me and then even New Taipei City. Progress was extremely good. I did not stop for pictures and videos as I had a job interview in the afternoon. Had to be on time.

I just kept following highway 1 and I entered Taipei city. I recognized the names of the districts from two years earlier. I passed by Sanchong and Taipei city. I had my GPS navigate me to Neihu, where I found my company in time. I had a good interview and after 90 minutes I was good to go. They wanted to  hire me so that was good.

Then I had my GPS navigate me to Taipei. I would be spending the night at Al's place. En route I stopped at the little restaurant by the bicycle trail, which I often visited in 2012. Late in the evening I made it to Hongshulin. A day full of everything!

Day 2: September 5, 2014: Wandering around in Taipei city
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/585735368
75km, 3h52, elevation 426m

Today I did some cycling in Taipei. I left from Al's place and meant to ride to the Yangmingshan park, just like I did on September 7th 2013 before flying back to Europe. I wanted to relive the joy of that ride.

I left from his place and took the steep slope to Beixinzhuang. This was a very steep part that already got me sweating. After a few turns I stopped to enjoy the view.



Admittedly, my legs were still sour from yesterday's ride...



A beautiful view early in the morning. I just realzed I was back in Taipei after such a long time.



I continued my way through this little path. The official road name is Taipei-2.



I somehow got back to the cycling trails and I cycled around the Shezi island. It was just a calm ride, no speeds, no high mileage, just goofing around.



Then I cycled to Zhishan to see if there was anything going on at that basket court.



I laid on one of those benches and relaxed for a while.



I even dozed off a little. It was a very welcome nap.



I made sure I clung on my bike while I was sleeping



Zhishan, where memories of 2011 will forever be waiting for me



In the afternoon I met up with Ke Menghan for some food. Late in the evening I met up with Johnathan.



We cycled to the Zhongshan area together and had a long chat about everything



Homeboyz hanging out together in Taipei city



That night I slept at John's place

Day 3: September 7, 2014: A relaxing Sunday ride with Jonathan.
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/585735344
53km, 2h10, elevation 468m

John and I went for a little ride together today. Nothing big, because he had other stuff planned, but we did hit the road. From his home in Taipei city, we went east to Shenkeng and Shiding. We cycled over route 106



It was quiet that morning, probably due to the festivities



A steady climb was waiting for us



The hills of New Taipei City, hours and days can be spent here



Taking random pictures here





John approaching



We cycled to the Jingtong station, a tourist area



We had some snacks here and we had a nice chat



Some snapshots







Then we cycled back to his place i Taipei city



He had a nice view over Taipei from his house



Even 101 was very close



We spent some time playing on the piano. Well he did, I listened.




Day 4: September 8, 2014: Cycling from Taipei City to Taichung via the hilly highway 3
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/585735320
200km, 7h51, elevation 1750m

It was already time to head back again. For today's ride, I decided to take Hwy 3 south. I wanted a different ride back home. I left John's place really early. I made clever use of my GPS by indicating a waypoint which according to the map is the starting point of Hwy 3. And it worked!



Then something amazing happened: I recognized two cyclists by their jerseys. They were wearing the orange 3490 cycling club jerseys. How could I ever forget? I recognized Sky and his wife and I called them. At first they did not know who was calling, but then they recognized me. What a magical encounter!



It had been more than a full year since I had seen them and this was a very sudden encounter. I was absolutely delighted by it. It made my entire day!



After that, I proceeded south. I made it through New Taipei city very fast and found some heavy traffic in Taoyuan.



There was more climbing here than on Hwy 1 for sure. But I liked the tranquility of the roads after Taoyuan city



Somewhere in Xinzhu



Lots of cycling these days.



I did not make many pictures during this ride, but progress was good. I soon made it to Miaoli and that was the area that I recognized very well: Sanwan, Shitan, Dahu, Nanhu, Zhuolan etc. This is the hilly part of Hwy 3 that knocked me out in August.



I was also tired during this attempt. This is a picture of the reservoir near Zhuolan



I completed about 160 km here, 40 km from Taichung. I made a detour in Fengyuan, where I visited my friends for tea



What a wonderful feeling of standing here in the middle of Taiwan



After tea time in Fengyuan, I went back to Shalu. I had another invitation that night in Shalu.



I had been using sun cream but I guess I am too white for this country haha



When I came home in Shalu, I had a nice 200 km. Great ride! What a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment