Tuesday, February 2, 2016

July 6, 2015: Beikeng, the northern slope, Fengyuan's five star route

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/835577583
61km, 2h28, elevation 962m

I went to Fengyuan today because I urgently needed to have my brakes checked. These black Fulcrum wheels are a star uphill but I seriously dislike their braking performance. All it takes is a little dirt and they make an agonizing sound. I can still bare with that, but the braking performance also suffers a lot. Now that is unforgivable.

I took one of the steep alleys up to metropolitan garden and I rode to the Tan-Ya-Shen cycling path. I navigated my way to Fengzhou road and arrived in Fengyuan. At the Guofa cycling store, I had my brakes checked. When they said it was OK, I wanted to do a lirtle test ride. Beikeng seemed like a good terrain for it. I even left my backpack at the cycling store and went outside just like this. For a short ride that's OK.


Of the many routes there are in Fengyuan, Beikeng is the most challenging. Basically because it has the longest steepest climb. Nankeng is tough but short, Gonglaoping is short and only in the end a little steep. Zhongkeng is also easier than Beikeng. 

Initially I made the same mistake as last time: going to Nankeng instead. The starting point of these lanes all look so much a like. This time I knew it was wrong and I looked further. Then I found the entrance. 


Beikeng has a lot of sections with 18% gradients. It is not long enough to get you hammered, but it does get the motor running.


While I was here, I took a few pictures. Writing this blog more than six months later I am grateful for that.


It is striking how Fengyuan is city is such a crowded place, yet only a few km away in these little roads, you will encounter absolute solitude. I love it.


The view over Fengyuan's backyard. This also coincides with Shigang and Xinshe. I am working on a general training route of this area that could link these routes together. Now that would be a swell morning activity!


Before arriving at this point there was a section that was almost 20%. Among locals this road is also referred to as Little Wuling. The view in this picture does resemble it. 


This spot was already at 500 meters of elevation. Considering the fact that Fengyuan is around 220, this is a hell of a climb for just four kilometers.


After the summit, the highest point of Fengyuan, the road descends again. The descend has a steep section where you need to be careful. The road will connect to Zhongkeng and from there you will go back to Taichung-90. Feel free to check my Garmin activity to look that up.


The Green Clouds Temple. Last time I came here with mister Cai.


Aren't these small lanes just adorable! They offer a complete refuge from society. 


And then I arrived at Taichung-90. From this spot I could go right and descend to Shigang or I could go left and descend via Gonglaoping to the Zhongzheng Park. That is what I did today. The braking was already better but not perfect yet. Honestly, I do not feel very happy about this wheelset.  

No comments:

Post a Comment