Wednesday, February 17, 2016

2015 adventures in and around my block Shalu

This post is dedicated to all my short rides and adventures in and around Shalu. I was in Shalu from January to August 2015 and I have been outside a lot. Allow me to share some beautiful moments.


One night in January, I visited the Specialized Taichung store. They asked me to pose because my outfit colors matched this frameset. We had a good laugh then.


This picture was taken on a Saturday at 4 pm in Qingshui, right before my private class German. I would often buy some sandwiches and eat them here.


Having my chain changed at the bike shop. I was accumulating miles fast these days, so at least every two months another chain.


My birthday present: this cool helmet. Later I left it in Taiwan when I went back, sold it online and bought the same one in Belgium. It is quite safe as it adds visibility.


Sunset over Shalu, charming


In May, I cycled to Hualien over Wuling and all the way back. Those were two magic days full of sunlight. The day after I came back home, it was raining heavily. I needed to rest so I stayed in Shalu. I went to the breakfast shop and walked around a little.


Exploring small lanes on Dadu mountain


Beautiful panorama



Wet all over the place, but it was still warm


On the summit of Dadu mountain



Deciding to walk through this ally was a bad idea


The red sand combined with water equals mud


Good thing I could carefully walk over the sideline


I went back home via this one


My shoes got dirty here


Normally you can see quite far here, but not today


I descended through this ally. Even by walking it was steep





Adorable small and steep lane


A bit lower I had a better view of Shalu


These dogs were always barking, every single time I pass by here



Watch out for cyclists


Under the bridge of Expressway 3


A small path that connected to Taiwan Boulevard


Beishi East Road, where I live.




Taking new routes from Shalu to Fengyuan


Riding around in the Aofengshan area is also nice. It is located in Qingshui, right next to Shalu



One other day, I decided to check out a few hills near Metropolitan Garden.


There was a very steep one close to my house, but it was a dead-end ally


Hidden neatly away from everything


Striking how many small lanes there are just in Shalu




In early August, there was a big typhoon, that caused the power to be cut off for three days. I remember hearing a loud bang in the middle of the night, to a frightening extend.


The victim was the big tree on my porch


When that typhoon was finally over, I cycled to Fengyuan because I did not have internet or power. En route I only saw damage from the typhoon


Entire fences just blown away



Many trees were completely demolished


Pomodoro, the Italian restaurant at 300 m from my place


More typhoon damage


Oh yeah and one time I got very angry at a driver. He nearly rammed me and then he had the audacity to stop in front of me. I yelled the shit out of him and I even trashed his mirror. I took a picture of his car because I was sure at that moment that I would go to the police.


Speaking about Taiwanese drivers, they are just terrible. No other words for it, terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment