Wednesday, February 3, 2016

January 23, 2015: Hanging out in my recent playground with my bikecam


In January, I have done several rides to the Taiping area. There are a few interesting roads here that connect to Taiping. I have discovered a few of them already. Today, I took my bike cam and made some pictures and clips of a few of these roads. 

Early in the morning, I cycled from Shalu via Taichung city to Taiping. Then I went to Taichung-100 and from there I connected to Ziqiang road. That is how I got to Xinshe. I went to Zhonghe and on to Zhongxingling. Then I went to Fengyuan. I was planning to ride Taichung-100 to the end but I did something wrong, which led to a nice discovery. Let me share some nice pictures of this wonderful ride under a clear blue sky and a summer sun 


I started my recordings at the Hi-Life, located at the intersection of 129 and 136. Then I commenced my journey along 136.


The first few km are flat and run through a tiny village



A few small stingers as a warm up


Chenggong road is it is also called


Today I was just riding my newly bought flatbar. I did not take my GPS because I knew the roads by heart.


Approaching Qiedongjiao



Approaching the entrance to Taichung-100


I left route 136 here and entered this smaller path.


wide open areas with little movement


What a perfect day for a ride


There are even buses touring here occasionally


I arrived at this road split, didn't know where to go


But luckily I could ask a bystander. He told me I had to go right.


A short but steep stinger followed.


An elementary school was here.


Another split section. I went left here


Picture of myself in the mirror, but the distance is too far


Right after that turn left, it goes downhill shortly


And then there is a mighty steep uphill


I did not know where to go here, so I did the most logical thing: continuing the road I was currently on


It was the beginning of a long and steep climb


I met some people here, they were shouting jiayou. After that, I did not see a living soul



Thirteen procent out here



I saw the elevation rising rapidly on my bike computer



This road kept on climbing. It was making me sweat



There was another road split here and again I did not know what to do. Luckily there was a cyclist coming from the other direction. I asked him how to go to Xinshe. It was the path at the right of this photo.


That's where another steep section followed.


Being out here in the middle of nowhere, between these betel nut trees is quite cool.


See that little sign that indicates Xinshe to the left? All the information I need!


This section also had 13% and it was carrying on for that through a few turns. I needed my 32T cog for it.


Once again, what a perfect weather! I felt so lucky to be out here



I wanted a nice picture of this view. I was going right on this picture. Guguan was even indicated, so I must be close to the end.


Just some person's private property, not going in there. But man, so steep!


I like this picture, it expresses the tranquility and solitude of this beautiful spot


Another sign indicating Xinshe's Zhonghe village and Guguan


Then there was a descent


On poor road conditions that is


Climbing again


I was literally reaching new altitudes. I felt in the middle of nowhere.


I mean, nothing was going on here


Some cracks in this concrete


Then I came to another road split. The choice was easy: left to Xinshe. I do not know what the place name to the right was all about. That would have to be the object of a future ride.


I made a video recording on the downhill part. It was pretty steep


I saw more signs indicating Xinshe


I crossed that bridge to the right



It was another steep climb of 14%


This was at the top. From here you had a splendid view over the Dajia river. You could see the other side of the bank, where highway 8 runs.


This downhill was mighty steep. Glad to have disc brakes on my bike.


It was only then that I realized where I was: This was Taichung-95. I had been here before with my Fengyuan friends. I had just discovered a super tiny little road that cuts through Taiping and Xinshe and runs all the way to here. This was awesome stuff for future rides. Made me feel like a local!


An amazing panorama over the Dajia river bank.


Taichung-95 leads to Zhongxingling



There is also a longer climb here


Heading back to Xinshe via Taichung-95. I remember this climb from group rides



Also a climb here


Approaching Xinshe


What a magnificent area of cycling




This was very close to Zhongxingling


I mimicked the route I took when riding with the Fengyuan cycling club




Approaching Zhongxingling in Xinshe




Entering a more crowded area




From Zhongxingling I climbed up to Shuijing


That section also has a nasty 12 % climb


I took a left here. That was the road that led to Wanli Changcheng



I descended Wanli Changcheng back to Fengyuan




This road is not perfect, but on my 30 mm tires, it was more than OK



Local cyclists will def. recognize these pictures







This picture is already after the descent. From here it is just a few km to the Fengyuan Boulevard






When I was back in Fengyuan, I went to visit my friends. Later in the afternoon I went to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment