Monday, February 22, 2016

Never thought my life would have its own Neglected Formosa: Fengyuan 2015 cycling days

2015 Fengyuan cycling days: Bartman's neglected Formosa

The memories and feelings that go behind all these pictures and stories cannot be written in such a concise blog, however, I would still like to share some of these fantastic moments with you. This post is a collection of various cycling episodes in Fengyuan in 2015. I was lucky enough to be close friends with a family in Fengyuan. We had lots of cycling fun together. There is no shame in facing the truth: if it were up to me, I would never have left


In March, I cycled to Fengyuan for a date with Tina. It was the day I had already collected 4000 km on this flatbar bike.


The Tan-Ya-Shen cycling path, my favorite choice for riding to Fengyuan from Shalu


A picture taken at the Fengyuan Boulevard, close to the Guofa cycling store


4000 km already on this bike! Time and mileage fly




May 15, 2015: Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/775075025
84km, 3h34, elevation 933m


On this day I cycled to Fengyuan to practise for the Gonglaoping race, but first I went to Qingshui to find the start of the Dayang cycling path. Interesting to see these signs here, Taroko is in Hualien and Taiping mountain in Yilan haha.


Getting lost in the fields of Shengang


What a joy it is to be out here cycling. The feeling of freedom is indescribable


Straight in front of me is Taichung-73, the road that runs after the Qingquangang airport. I was making L-shapes between the fields right next to it.


This is exactly why I enjoy cycling



This is the Haifengli area


Wiling away in this neverending summer



A viewing deck in Shengang. This is somewhere in the Beizhuang area.


Sexy bike, I like the wheels a lot



When I was in Fengyuan, I went to the 921 Zhongzheng park for my practice round of Gonglaoping. Liao Shi-jie came to keep me company.



Obviously he is enjoying his bike ride


Bartman reporting for duty


Gonglaoping number one is kicking ass



Another test ride up Gonglaoping, this time with my Roubaix


That's it boys, less than nine minutes! Great timing


Mr. Cai also enjoys riding Gonglaoping. We would often go for a quick ride in the afternoon, right before I went to classes.



The Gonglaoping temple, where local cyclists take millions of pictures throughout the year


Every ride up here was a joy


Great times





Gonglaoping became a legend after all those rides and races. It is definitely something I will never forget, ever


The Gonglaoping race for sure made these few months very interesting


A well assured Dutch rider in Central Taiwan


This was also a very nice evening, we had dinner in a Fengyuan mall. A lot of people, truly a wonderful moment.


A lot of cycling means a lot of chains, good thing I had Guofa to rely on.


My birthday present: The flashy yellow Giro Attack helmet


To the Gonglaoping temple in 9 minutes 37 seconds. That's fast enough for this flatbar


Magic sunset


9 minutes 23 seconds, looking good for the race!


Sometimes you gotta get new bike parts


I bought this SLK crank for 6500 NT


And then a somewhat more expensive purchase: Fulcrum wheels for 43,000 NT




All black monster. I took these wheels out on a quick ride with Mr. Cai


We rode to Beikeng, where I learnt that these were good climbing wheels



I took some pictures of him riding his SW Tarmac



Good times in Fengyuan



The Green Clouds Temple


Wasn't wearing pro cycling gear, but that didn't matter


Mysterious fish


Mr. Cai has been like a father to me, we would spend long afternoons chatting about everything ranging from Taiwanese politics, food safety, abroad, cycling... I really cannot describe the pleasure it has been.


He was also proud that he had a close foreign buddy, which other Taiwnaese did not have


Another ride up Gonglaoping, this was somewhere in April I guess.


Mrs. Cai, my Taiwanese mom haha



One other time, I encountered heavy rain on a Gonglaopng ride. I made it to the top, but during my descent hell broke lose. It was raining super intensively


I hid out under these trees for a while


A crazy downpour, you really don't want to be cycling then


My poor bike was getting wet, that was unavoidable


Wet feet, I suddenly felt cold. Also my backpack was soaked.


I stood there for quite some time. I went to Fengyuan after that


Mrs Cai bought a Specialized Amira bike, but she would only start using it after the Ghost month. That was after I left. Crazy superstition


It had Fulcrum wheels, very nice


The story of Mr. Cai's new frame. He originally bought a 52 because that's what his first bike was. However, for him that was not a correct size. He realized this and bought a 2016 frame. He sold his old frame for a very reasonable price. This is is new flashy ride. 



Pictures from a day we went to Daxueshan together. Needless to say it was a magnificent ride


Dadong police station, where many memories lay hidden


Awesome moments


And of course, Yuan Xinyi likes to ride her bicycle.and pose for a nice snapshot


A Fengyuan group ride to Guguan in July



Riding Gonglaoping on an ordinary afternoon, before classes. It was always tight, having to make sure I was in Taichung by 17:30 but I never got late even once. 


Wonderful moments



I made a new friend that day


Of course my Fengyuan stories are not just these. Several of time deserved an independent post, because there was so much to say. I am looking forward to my return to Fengyuan.

No comments:

Post a Comment