Tuesday, December 15, 2015

May 5, 2015: My first Taiwanese birthday with a rainy ride and a new Roubaix frame

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/765857149
101km, 4h14, elevation 1025m

Happy Birthday to me! I turned 28, my first birthday in Taiwan and I was invited by my Fengyuan friends for pie. However, before going there I wanted to do some cycling.


Unforunately, I did not get good weather on this day. It was raining, the streets were wet and it did not look as if it would be improving later on. Therefore, I put on my rain coat, left my expensive camera and GPS at home at took my cheaper Garmin 500 outdoors. I would make pictures with my mobile phone. I even had some dry clothes in my backpack so I needed not be stressy about getting soaked to the bone.


I cycled in the direction of Fengyuan via the Shengang - Daya - Tanzi cycling trail.


In Fengyuan I took another bike path, the Dongfeng bike path, which would lead to Dongshi.


Shitty weather but that's fine, I wanted to be outside for a few hours.


The 7.5km mark of this Dongfeng bicycle path leads over a bridge. The view is nice on a day with clear view.


The Taichung area has its charm


Good part about rain in this country is that it never feels cold. It is warm and therefore more bearable.


I just came from Fengyuan and cycled through Shigang, indicated in the left arrow. Now I would be proceeding to Dongshi, indicated to the right. That would be roughly more than 4km.


Obviously on a day like this, not many people outside cycling. The roads were for the Birthday boy only!


Downside about heavy rainfall is that you cannot go into the deepest mountain sections because there might be falling rocks or even worse, mud slides. And those are no joke. Even on this little cycling path you can see how the leaves and little branches are lying on the soil. Th fifth of May is no autumn, this is just caused by rain and wind.


For a wet but relaxing short ride like this, my Sirrus would be the number one choice: slicker tires and lovely disc breaks. Makes me feel safe in changing conditions.


Unfortunately, my bike was getting dirty from riding over all these leafs. I will wash it up later then.


A pool of wetness to guide me to Dongshi.


I received a small birthday present right here at this very spot: My flatbar bike passed the 7000km mark. That was already considerable since I only bought it five months ago. After 5000km I changed the basic wheels into some fine Mavic discs. Ever since, it is has become a lovely bike for this kind of rides.


This bicycle path taught me that I would not be entering the mountains today. That would be risky. I was thinking on cycling to Dongshi and then back to Houli and Fengyuan. That way I would still get some 80km today.


The weather was terrible but I was ok with that. It was not so bad that I could not enjoy the ride.


A genuine Dutch windmill along the cycling path to Dongshi


I was nearing the end. Here you got some lovely views of rice fields and small houses. Eastern Taichung is a scarcely populated area. And today, all of those people would be indoors.


The orange bridge meant that I was almost at the end of this cycling path


11km out of 12km, I was approaching Dongshi city.


Now, how you doin' ?

I took a small break at the Family Mart in Dongshi city. I was thinking on what I could do. Should I go back already or add some more? Pondering for a few minutes helped me a lot. I decided to take Taichung-47 and go back to Zhuolan via Route 140. Check my Garmin route for it.


At this moment, the rain had stopped but the streets were wet. The views were amazing though


The solitude of small mountain passes


Contemplating the central Taiwan mountain range


Taichung-47 would gently climb for 10km and then descent for a few miles more.


This roads leads to the Heping area of Taichung. Dongshi was now behind me.


A wet Taichung-47 on my birthday. Still beats being inside all day.


I actually wanted to go and check out these tiny villages. There was a small road that would lead to the village. Maybe next time...


The last two km of Taichung-47 are a constant climb averaging around 6%. The roads are very narrow here.


I had time for looking around and taking pictures.


Grey and overcoast skies today... On a sunny day, this view is quite lovely.


I had already noticed that I was the only one crazy enough to be riding today. The Taiwanese were neatly inside, hiding away from the drops that fell from heaven.


Riding with disc breaks and beefy tires: a perfect recipe for rainy and hilly rides. Completely reliable as long as you don't corner it excessively!



The downhill part was steep enough and I proceeded with care. There is a section that is about 12% and with some sharp corners.


Don't forget the soil is wet too, grip is far below standards on days like these.


My handle bar, GPS and bike computer were all wet.


But it didn't stop me from enjoying this ride.


After that descent, I ended up on Route 140, a completely flat 10km that goes from west to east. I would go from here to Zhuolan and then over Hwy 3 back to Fengyuan.


This was a nice view though. In those hills there are some tribal villages and cool mountain passes that will connect to Miaoli's Dahu. Epic cycling fun is hidden out there!



Scream for a happy birthday!


That 10 km section went smoothly but it started to rain again, moreover the view was terrible due to rising mist. By now I realized that I should leave the roads before some drunk Taiwanese driver doesn't notice me in this fog.


Foggy bridges along Hwy 3 with limited view


I cycled back via Houli and came through this Bitou community


Back in Fengyuan, I first changed my clothes and got ready for a little party


With cake! That was nice of them to have bought me cake!


28 indeed, but what can I do about it. At least I spent it better than last  year.


There was another surprise for me on my birthday: Specialized US had shipped me a brand new Roubaix Frame and the cycling shop had put it together directly, on my birthday. That was so cool.


A new Roubaix for more cycling fun!


I also bought this very cool yellow helmet from Giro


Giro Air Attack will be my new buddy


I was not the only one who liked this helmet, everybody had to try it on haha. 

It was a nice day, I spent my birthday with friends, my new Roubaix is ready for a million miles and I did more than a 100km today. Happy Birthday to Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment