Friday, December 4, 2015

August 4, 2015: A three-day quest finished of with a visit at the Central Taiwan Buddhist Monastery (Nantou-73)

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/854618217
109km, 4h53, elevation 1236m

The night at Little Puli had been relaxing and I was happy I did it. For once I made the right decision and gave my body some rest, I had told the woman of the hostel that I was traveling around the island, just to avoid a million questions. She was kind enough to explain me the directions from Puli to Alishan and she even suggested a little hotel that was not too expensive. Really kind, but I was going to Taichung and not Chiayi.

However, I did want to do some exploring and there was one little road that I still had not ridden before: nantou-73. This is the road that connects between Puli and Hwy 21 and passes by the central Taiwan monastery.


The woman from the hotel even took my picture for me, how kind!


Ready to kick of day 3 of my trip to Lixing road. I did not calculate for this third day, but I might as well enjoy it. I first went to Hwy 14 and in Puli city center I knew where the connection to Nantou-73 was. I had seen it on previous trips.


I was passing to a few narrow yet crowded streets. Luckily there were enough indications. Central Taiwan Buddhist Monastery to the right.


This Nantou-73 was zigzagging through some fields and occasional communities, This section was tranquil and I took some time for pictures


Good morning Puli


This bridge was crossing a river called Mei and it was slowly moving to Hwy 21.


A whole lot of smaller place names here. I just followed my map and went left.



Nantou-73, at this point I did not understand how this would lead to Taichung or even Caotun, but I was bound to find out



It was super quiet out here


Passing by a local community

I found my answer here: To go to Caotun or even Taichung, I had to take this Nantou-81. But that would be for a later ride. Today I had committed myself to the monastery I really wanted to see.
Looking from the map I understood more about Nantou-81. It is actually the little path that runs parallel to Hwy 21 and connects to it before the great descent to Guoxing. I never rode it, but it would have been a sweet alternative for certain Nantou rides.


Nantou, charming as always


Elevation was not intense here, it was a rather gentle ride


A local park, the Middle Road Park. I think this is a Buddhist concept.


Another area called Shigang, but with different Chinese characters


I think I saw the monastery here


I went inside this small lane but I think it was private property


Romantic flowers


Another Nantou village in a tranquil setting


Only 2km left on Nantou-73. The Monastery was rising up in front of me. I started to get the impression that it was not your average monastery


In fact, it is huge!


The brown sign reads: Central Taiwan Buddhist Monastery


What a giant building


Standing in front of this monastery made me realize the power of Buddhism in Asia. People donate so much money to it. This building is not only huge, it is also made out of precious and expensive materials, like gold and marmor. Gert Floor, a friend of mine, was said Buddhism in Taiwan is like a company, revenue-driven. I guess he wasn't wrong


Quickly after that I connected to Hwy 21. After climbing through the first section, I made it to that village. Today I took the time to check out what was on the left side of that T section. Right was Hwy 21 to Guoxing. I entered the left part and there was a guy approaching me. I stopped him to ask about this road. He almost rode into the gutter because of that. Sorry! Anyway, he told me this was the road to Puli center. This was the Nantou-81 road! Interesting for later rides...


I took the descent from Hwy 21 into Guoxing. Then I entered that small road, Nantou-84, which I had discovered during my ride to the Huisun Forest area. But this time I wanted to see where Guoxing road at the end would lead me. I was curious and up for some mini exploring. This picture is taken right where Hwy 21 turns into Nantou-84.


Five km and I will be at the end. Then I check out where Guoxing road leads to.


I love finding smaller roads as alternative to bigger ones: they offer tranquility and beauty


Nantou is full of secrets. One year of extensive cycling and still so many secrets to unravel.


A forest road next to the main road. I only entered for a snapshot


And now, Guoxing road!


As the name states, it is the road that leads to Guoxing township.


Bartman adventuring at Guoxing


Lately I have been more and more interested in these smaller forest roads. There are so many hidden treasures to find!


In Guoxing I was considering on taking Nantou-97 again, but I did feel that my legs were tired. Therefore I decided to go via Baimaoshan. Even during this climb I felt I was less strong than usual. It had been a very intensive three days.



Baimaoshan is a nice climb, not many cars at these roads.


A picture taken from my descent at Baimaoshan.


A view over Dongshi




Reconstructing the central cross highway, now that would be nice for cycling purposes...

Back in Dongshi I went to Fengyuan to my friends for tea. Later in the evening I went back to Shalu. It was a nice three days with the main focus on the first day: Lixing road. It was one of the coolest rides ever. Then another Wuling ride, always fun. Today was just a ride to go back home, but I did do some exploring still.

No comments:

Post a Comment