Thursday, December 3, 2015

August 3, 2015: The day after my Lixing road adventure, I went back home via a summer setting Wuling

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/854618120
165km, 8h55, elevation 3611m

I had successfully completed my Lixing road ride and I had spent the night at Nita Lin's hostel. Unlike the last few times, I took it easy, joining them in the evening for a nice conversation and having a nice night rest. The main reason for visiting them was I had to pick up my bike pack I had left there the week before, when I came to Hualien by train. I woke up pretty late for someone who had an entire Wuilng ride ahead of him. I was not stressed though. I had agreed with a friend in Puli that I would spend the night there. That meant three hours less of cycling, perfect for a relaxing ride up to Wuling. I took my time for getting my breakfast and then I hit the road.


Hualien, Hwy 9 in the morning, I was heading to Xincheng. There I would buy drinks and snacks for the ride. Whatever I could suit in my already voluminous backpack. 


I could sense the weather would be like a fairy tale. I had no right to complain about the weather for the entire round trip. Lixing could have been a lot worse if it had rained.


Good morning Hualien, I am ready for my fifth ride up to Wuling from Hualien


I did like at the race: crossing the Taroko bridge and then going left, instead of going inside before passing the bridge


The Taroko bridge


I first came here by bike in August 2013, when I was cycling around the island and I came from Su'ao. That was a special day, one that will remain in my memories forever. I even had the chance to add another legendary ride here today.


I felt lucky and privileged being here


Words cannot describe how much I love being out here. This part of Taiwan truly makes me feel at home.


Taroko National Park


I was feeling like a nice ride up to Wuling, even though I was carrying a very heavy backpack this time. I was carrying my bicycle bag, a few books, clothes, drinks etc. Stuff I had left behind in Hualien one week earlier for the race.


The first section is packed with quite a few tunnels, too bad it somewhat disturbed the recording of my GPS. This section runs from 189k to 169k


My bike, still dirty from yesterday


An early selfie


Today I took the time to check out some more. It would not just be a race through the gorge. I would take some pictures


I noticed over the past few months that there were some changes already to Hwy 8


A scary dark tunnel


Good thing I wasn't going through this one. No idea IF there would be light at the end of this tunnel


A warning sign


When I did my double Wuling rides, I always came through here in the dark. Today I actually had the chance to enjoy the gorge in broad daylight


Fabulous, just fabulous


Another fantastic day to be outside, live can be good


Xipan, I will always remember this place from my first arrival here, back in 2011. I took a scooter from Hualien together with a Korean guy and we took lots of pictures


Such pure green water


I wanted to walk to the other side of the bridge, but the entrance was closed. Too bad! Really curious what would be on the other side.


Instructions for a nearby trail.


I made it to one third of the altitude to conquer today: 950 meter at Xibao. This was about 30km inside of the gorge.


Probably someone's private property


What a spectacular sight. This summer setting really suits the ride.


Every corner and inch of this road reminded me of the race I had done a week earlier. All wonderful memories...


The fun part of this ride is how you spend several hours on it and you see the mileage and elevation raise. A work in process that will reach completion by the end of the day.


One of the last tunnels, gotta watch out for narrow stretches. Even if you have the right of way, Taiwanese drivers will not respect you as a two-wheeler


Careful in the narrower stretches


The hard part of this ride is that you just wanna stop everywhere for pictures.


Going good, although I noticed that speed and progress were below expectations. Slowly I began to realize that I should just take it easy and forget about deadlines


Aaahrrr, those cute red bridges, they are part of the charm. Not only on this road, but on several mountain paths all over Taiwan.


I could not understand I did not see more cyclists. This was a day worth taking off from work and coming here to cycle.


The 149km mark, about 50% completed of my road to Wuling


This magnificent setting somehow trances me and I do not think about anything


Passed the 149km mark, the road will become somewhat less steep. Good for so;e speed and distance coverage.


The next big location we are looking for here is Xinbaiyang at the 142km mark with 1644m elevation.


Some construction works going on. Good thing traffic was really low


They were not working here one week earlier


I felt a little weary after yesterday's intensive ride, but I had to go back hone


This bike has seriously been pounding it in July and August. I did a lot of more miles on this one than on my fine road bike. Probably because of the kind of roads I was choosing.


I met this Australian guy who was on holiday in China, but visited Taiwan for two weeks. He was staying in a hotel in Hualien and he borrowed the bike of the hostel. He cycled all the way up to Dayuling with that thing. It was something I had to admire. Seriously, the more I think about it, the cooler it is. He had only a few gears, crappy brakes and those tires were nothing special either. I warned him to be careful on his way down though.


He was kind enough to have my picture taken as well. I had a lunch as usual at the 128km restaurant. Then I cycled together with that guy to Dayuling. We had a nice chat underway. I did not have any speed because my backpack was heavy and I was tired from the ride the day before. And it was nice to be talking to somebody and I was not in a hurry, so I was fine with that.


When I stopped here for a picture, I saw that I got a text message from my friend in Puli. He had some important dinner tonight and was not really able to host me. That was a setback, since it meant that I had no where to stay. Would I have to go to Shalu in the end? I played with the thought of doing that, but it was already so late. I had made progress slow because I knew Puli would be the end station for the day.


The 11km to Wuling were heavy as always, I took it slow. When I had this picture taken it was already almost five pm. Never had I been so late at Wuling. If it weren't for the nice weather, I would have been in trouble here.


Wuling, always someone here to have your picture taken. Good stuff.


A view over Hehuan mountain, after all these times it remains so beautiful. Just cannot describe it


Finding myself in higher spheres...


The Wuling parking lot


It was perfect weather on the eastern part of Hehuan mountain, but as soon as I entered the western part, all I saw was a thick fog. What a giant difference!


Time to wear my jacket and be careful. Good thing I had my disc brakes for this descent. That helped a lot. The descent was really fun. One annoying thing that happened on my way down. Some douchebag entered the main road from a side road just before I passed. It was really dangerous and selfish. If I did not ride with disc brakes I might have even hit that car. He had his window open and when I passed I yelled: What a lousy driver are you! That obviously upset him a lot  He was honking and even threatening to hit me all the time. What an asshole. All I could think of was going to a police station. Luckily I was able to slip between a few cars when there was a traffic jam and I never saw him again. Taiwanese drivers do not have proper manners.


I stopped at the Cuifeng Police station to have my hands rest a little. The temperature had dropped because of the mist. I saw this small road leading to Hongxiang. Nice to learn that I could also go like this next time. 


A lot of small roads in these mountains. Still a lot of exploring that needs to be done.


I did not take many pictures during my descent because it was already late. I tried to get to Puli as fast as I could.


When I made it to Puli it was already dark. I was thinking on cycling back home but then again, I was tired enough to call it a day. I went to the Puli police station to ask for a hostel. Luckily there was one close by. It was called Little Puli and for 600 a night it was really ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment