Wednesday, December 2, 2015

March 17, 2015: A Miaoli region triple mount challenge ride with Xianshan, Xinzhongheng and Zhongxiang road

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/721988237
205km, 8h48, elevation 3265m

For today's ride I chose Miaoli, more specifically the Xianshan and Xinzongheng region. I had once ridden this section before in February and I remembered it offered some nice elevation gain. Perfect excuse for another spin.

I used my gps to navigate to the Hwy 13 bridge in Fengyuan-Houli. It sent me through some small lanes full of Monday morning traffic in Shengang and Fengzhou. From Houli I took Hwy 13 all the way north, doing the long climb of Sanyi, Almost in Tongluo, I connected to Route 119, which runs somewhat east and north. Then I switched to 128, going to Gongguan. I ride these sections often as they are a nice alternative to the more populated Hwy roads. From there I took 119-2, but I accidentally went south instead of north for a few km. I realized it a little late, but that's fine.


Route 119-2, I was going the wrong way here, but the damage was repaired swiftly


Good morning Miaoli! Thanks for hosting my visit today


The reason I was taking all these small roads was because I eventually wanted to make it to the eastern side of Miaoli, the Hwy 3 section. From 119-2 I could take Miaoli-26 to Shitan. Don't worry, I only know these roads because I took a little map of Miaoli with me and I could puzzle my own itinerary together. All part of the lovely experience.


Miaoli-26 to Shitan, just one of the tiny roads connecting eastern and western Miaoli. All of these roads run over a few hills and are about 10km long.


Looking sharp and cool


Cool, another tunnel! According to a sign I saw later, it was called Yangyi tunnel. But even nicer, what would be behind that slope? Too bad I was riding my road bike and I did not check it out. This is one of those moments where I would love a bike that is also somewhat offroad compatible.


Making process along Miaoil-26


Yangyi tunnel, from whence I just came. The other sign indicates Hwy 3, which means I can start thinking about attacking Xianshan.


Dressed in heavy yellow as always, wanna keep it is as safe as possible


Welcome to Hwy 3, my territory in Miaoli. Right is going south to Dahu and eventually Taichung. Left is going north to Shitan, Sanwan and eventually Xinzhu and Taoyuan county. The Family Mart of Shitan was right around the corner and so was the road to Xianshan.


I was having a break at this Family Mart when I suddenly a cute butterfly flying around.


How adorable!


After the break it was time for Route 124 to Xianshan: five km of sometimes very steep climbing.


I did not take a lot of pictures during this climb, I finished it in one attempt without stopping. The last 1400 meters are pretty steep with some pinchy 14% in there


But it is all worth the trouble when I see this Xianshan sign. 700 meters of altitude is not even super high, but it can add up in a nice overall elevation gain.


From Xianshan I had to take 124 a little more up north before I could connect to the New Central Cross Road of Miaoli.


A rider focused on numbers and performace


Here you will find a very sharp turn to the right which immediately packs out with 15% gradients. Change your gears before engaging or you will be walking like me the first time. This time however, I could plow through just nicely.


This Xinzongheng was as steep as it was the last time. It got me sweating and working hard, but it did not get me off of my bike this time!


Dangerously steep section, but is is nice and tranquil, especially on a normal weekday like this


The section preceding my arrival had gradients of 19%, so the red tad in my face is justified


I made it to the Tai'an tunnel, downhill from here, good to check your brakes before actually engaging in the descent



Four km away from the end


Dangerously big falling rocks, to a scary extent


Scary though!


I took some more pictures of this remarkable road that connects two eastern hills of Miaoli


Riding this thing to zero will bring you to Miaoli-62. This road will connect with, of course, Hwy 3. For those who are in the need, there is the possibility to have a hot spring bath at the Tai'an hot spring



When I made it to Dahu, I had a small break at the 711. Then I decided I was up for one more hill: Zhongxiang road, aka Miaoli-61. Also a very steep and though ride, especially after riding like I have been doing today.


The start of Miaoli-61. This one will connect to Taichung-47 in Heping and go tho Dongshi from there. It is a fabulous way of going back to Taichung without all that traffic. But it does require a good physical shape


The first 8 km of this route are a warm up, still ascending but nothing special. The show starts after those eight km



When I saw this sign, I took my map to compare the two roads; Good thing there was a cop car passing me by, I stopped them to ask them about the roads. They told me that Miaoli-61 was interrupted and that I would have to take several detours before I could make it to Dongshi. This reminded me of that whole afternoon I spent over there in January this year. Since it was already late I decided to just go for Zhongxiang road, as I had planned.

Another interesting fact. See that cyclist on the picture? He was descending from Zhongxiang road. He told me his rear derailleur had snapped during his climb. Luckily for him his car was parked in Dahu and the road there was all downhill. He was able to make it home.


The Zhongxiang road was heavy right from the start, smashing me with 15% climbs for a very long time. I had once come here before, in November last year. I came from the other direction and it was raining, man that was a nervous descent. Slowly I plowed my way through.


It was already late in the afternoon and the sunlight was fading away between the hills of Miaoli.


Cute aboriginal village. Some children were playing outside and were astonished by my presence.


Zhongxiang road, one and a half km. This road has 12km and will climb until 6-7km. With these gradients, that was though enough.


I noticed that my road bike pedals were not very easy to click on after stopping for a picture here.


I was feeling fatigue in my legs, after all I had been climbing all day long.


The climbing was over here. From here it would just be a roller coaster ride to Taichung


Look at those gradients, very aggressive!



Xiangbi was where I was heading. These other tribes will have to be checked out some other day.


The end of the Zhongxiang road: Zhongxiang elementary school. After this bridge I would be on the .Taichung-47.


Fighting! Is what the Taiwanese would say haha


Seriously, excellent riding today. My climbing today was tantamount to a ride up Wuling. Cool, isn't it?


This exploring in the deserted hills of eastern Miaoli is truly one of the joys of being in Taiwan.


However, it really was time to head home


A full day in the saddle, collecting memories for a lifetime


One last snapshot of Dongshi. I first visited my friends in Fengyuan and then I headed home. I can only conclude by saying that the Miaoli Triple Mount Challenge has been more exhausting that its Taichung counterpart

No comments:

Post a Comment