Tuesday, December 22, 2015

February 16, 2015: It feels good to be outside cycling after three intensive weeks of winter classes

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/698857613
134km, 6h19, elevation 1500m

For the past three weeks, I have been teaching non stop, as in seven days a week. This was because of a combination of winter classes and regular classes. The result was fewer opportunities for cycling. But today an opportunity popped up: my classes ended at 12 o clock and I decided to do a half-day ride.  My school is located on Zhongqing road, section 1 in Taichung. From there I went to Taiping and I started cycling 136, always a fun ride.

136 is hilly and has a five km continuous ascent. I think I made it to the top in some 40 minutes, which is above average. I took some pictures at Chikanding


Chikanding with my flatbar, I hadn't done that since early January when I rode here with my Fengyuan friends. That ride I even had to stop once because I had too much of a heart beat and I was too tired from the long flight. Today I wanted revenge for that and I rode it in one piece. 



There are always some people here, so I had the opportunity to have my picture taken here. 



Then the descent started. Right after the first turn, I saw a small trail. I entered to see what was here. I think it was some private property, so I did not proceed.



Moreover, the road down was more MTB terrain, so nothing for today.



A mile or something further down the road, I saw the entrance to this forest path. Again, I wanted to check it out.



It was a warm day and I was sweating. 



I was afraid of wild animals, mostly monkeys, so I did not go all the way in. I did see monkeys along 136 on previous rides.



The next of the descent was very relaxing. The weather was exceptionally good and I enjoyed the views along the hills. Coming here was a good idea! Not too far from home, but still a nice climb! This picture at the 47km is near to the end point of 136.



The end of 136 leads to Hwy 14. I could go to Caotun on the right, which would be the shortest and easiest way back home. However, I chose to go right, into Guoxing city center. I had a break at the 7-11 there. 

Originally my plan had been to take Hwy 21 back to Fengyuan, over Baimaoshan. However, I saw the entrance to Nantou-97 at my left and I started thinking. I had entered it in November last year, but a pack of wild dogs at the entrance chased me and I decided to not do it. Today I felt like I could go for another try. I entered and repeated the instructions some bystanders gave me there in November. It was possible to get lost here, but I found the right connection.

I noticed that this road started climbing right from the start, and very steep as well. There was a scooter right behind me in one of the turns and I started talking to them. I wanted to confirm this was the road to Xinshe. They said yes, but it would be another 26km. I asked them if there was a place I could buy water here. They told me there was not, but they invited me to go to their friends place, which was just down the road. That friend was a guy from Guangzhou living on top of a hill, very isolated, but very beautiful. I filled up my water there and we had a long chat. It was truly a cool place to live. When it got late, I decided to proceed my journey. Did not want to risk anything on a road I had never cycled before. 


This turned out to be a VERY tiny road. I was amazed by this one. Not only was it a steep climb, it had spectacular views of betel nut trees. The weather added that extra touch to it. I made some pictures here and there.


I turned on my GPS watch for recording this section. I wanted to be able to find it on the map later. I also focused on my bike km, counting the miles I did inside. I was focused on the number 26.


I made a small video recording with my camera while climbing. You can watch it via this link.
https://www.facebook.com/kuorueicheng/videos/881041798620212/



A small hostel was here. I wonder how its business would be... Anyway, there was a 20% steep ascent just before arriving here.



The hostel was at my right. I think this was some six km inside. 


Just look at this tiny little road. It is just a path between betel nuts on a giant hill. Not a single car here! Traffic was non-existing here.


There was a shadowy section under some trees were a dog came chasing behind me. It barked and looked as if it was on attack mode. On top of that, I was climbing a 13% ascent, so speed was not super high. The dog did not attack and I was able to pursue my journey. I did get scared though... You never know if these annoying stray dogs are serious.



The weather was really good and it made the ride very enjoyable.



After some eleven km, the road went downhill. This picture is a spot I recognized from a blog I had read about this road. I HAD to have a picture here...



I was now in a long descent. It had to be the road to Xinshe. I took this picture because of the beautiful sunset background. 



The downhill gradient was also very steep. Glad to be riding with disc brakes




This Nantou-97 is truly a small mountain pass, worthy of future visits!



All of the sudden, the road connected to a much larger road. I was first clueless on what direction I had to go, so I randomly chose left. That led me to a big temple and a closed road.



I ended up at the end of Taichung-95. It helped me reassure that I needed to go in the other direction. I remembered Taichung-95 of Fengyuan group rides. It meant I was in Taichung and had left Nantou. It was so cool that there was such a small connection between the two counties. 





There was still a whole lot of miles to descend along Taichung-95. Also, there were some cars driving here. I rode until the end of Taichung-95 and then I suddenly recognized where I was: I have come here a few times on morning rides from Taiping to Xinshe. A lot of places got linked together today...


From here it was still 30km to Fengyuan. I went back via Taichung-88 Wanli Changcheng. I stopped at my friends place for tea and told them all about this wonderful discovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment