Thursday, December 24, 2015

June 11, 2015: A hundred degrees Fahrenheit at Dajia's Tiezhen mountain

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/800692322
77km, 3h13, elevation 694m

Lately I am trying out new things on my bike. I am studying the Taichung area in-depth and I try to discover new sections on the map, sometimes by making a detour on my way to Fengyuan. That is also what I did today. 

I first climbed up to Metropolitan Garden via Houshanlu and from there I went to the Taichung airport. I rode Taichung-73 which runs behind the airport and then I took one of the smaller lanes that eventually led to Hwy 1. From there I crossed the Dajia bridge, going north.


The village on the southern bank of the Dajia river is called Haifengli, which in Chinese means Village of Sea Wind in Chinese. This place if filled with several tiny paths which are very cute. I found this temple very nice.


Haifengli, part of the Qingshui district in Western Taichung. This place looks like a place set back in time some 35 years.


Aohai road in Qingshui. There is a hill in Qingshui called the Aofeng mountain. That character is used in this street name. This is the street that leads from the sea (hai) to the aofeng hill (ao). From here the road passes through some fields before it connects to Hwy 1.


Dajia left, my direction for the day. Being out here was extremely nice, especially today on a good weather day.


Bartman all ready for new cycling explorations.


As I mentioned before, this section runs to several fields and is just the best alternative you can get to busy and crowded streets.  It is the western plains of Taiwan in their most genuine form.


Dajia, this way please. There is a longer descent here that crosses the highway bridge. By crossing I means it runs under it. There is no interaction with the cars of course.


Eventually you will make it to a small street callled Haiding road. Haiding road will connect to Hwy 1. From there I crossed the ever long Dajia bridge.


This part was along Hwy 1, with more traffic. This is where Dajia city center is. Just passed the city center, I entered route 132, which runs from west to east Taichung. I had my map with me and I knew how to get to the Tiezhen mountain Yuan Xin-yi was talking about. When I did not found it, I stopped at a 7-11 to ask for directions. It was very hot and I also bought a water-based popsstickle. The shop clerck told me that I had to follow Kaiyuan road. Luckily I found that one. Somehow I ended up on Taichung-27.


I was nearing the Tiezhenshan mountain


Beautiful green rice fields. It was a summer day indeed.


I did not find the entrance to the climb, but I did find some nice tourist information about this place


The Tiezhenshan park


Some historical notes about the Tienzhenshan hill,  its history runs back all the way to Qing China in the eighteenth century. There was some information about the two banks of the Dajia river. For those who understand Chinese, knock yourself out.


Only downside here was that I did not find the entrance to the climb up the hill. Too bad. I will do this another time. It was getting somewhat late and I decided to go further to Fengyuan.

 
A selfie at the Tiezhanshan hill.


As you can see, it was very hot.


Then I went somewhat south and east, going through the Waipu area. I was going in the direction of the Dajia river.


This area was also very tranquil, mostly rice fields and tiny roads.


I was just navigating based on street signs I saw. All I needed to do is finally go to Houli or Fengyuan. How I would get there was not important.


These rice plants have grown high, harvest would happen soon. Amazing view on a genuine summer day.


This moment called for a selfie


Not your average road bike trail.


More very local roads. I was heading for the Jiushe community,  which is in the northern bank of the Dajia river. It is part of Waipu but runs to Houli.


There was very steep hill here, it was more than 20 percent. I needed to use my largest cog for it.


Going for Houli through Jiushe


I love summer rides. I was completely forgetting that I was working today.


Green fields and clear blue skies. It was looking like a fairy tale


A nice view over this park


This spot connected to the northern bank of the Dajia river, from where I connected to Hwy 13, I went to Fengyuan like this. In the afternoon, I went to Taichung for my classes. It was a lovely short ride.


One peak moment of this ride: a hundred degrees Fahrenheit. That is somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius.

No comments:

Post a Comment