Monday, December 14, 2015

August 20, 2015: Dedicating my last days in Taiwan to a spin around the island. Part 6: Chiayi - Shalu

Garmin activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/906693200
149km, 5h34, elevation 664m

Just like in July, day six would be the last day of my spin around the island. It was hard for me to believe that it was already the last day. It meant I would have to start packing my luggage and get ready for leaving the island...


The hostel where I had spent the night for 600 NT. It was more than good enough for me;


Chiayi city; where I had my last stop for this ride around the island. The distance to Shalu, Taichung would only be roughly over a 100k, but I had to go to Fengyuan absolutely because I lost my phone and my friends where probably worried sick. I also had to go to Birzman for a talk with Lawrence, so I would be heading to Changhua, then cross Taichung city to Fengyuan and then back to Shalu. That would be more than just 100km.


I had examined my map and I already knew how I would be riding: first, I would have to make my way through Chiayi city. Then, I would take Hwy 1 throughout the remainder of Chiayi county, all of Yunlin county and Changhua county until Dacun village.


The streets of Chiayi were already crowded in the early morning. I saw that Hwy 18, which runs to Alishan, was very near. For me, going north of Chiayi was something special, because in August 2013, during my first spin around the island, my tour abruptly ended in Chiayi. THere was a very heavy downpour and it was a typhoon week. I took the train back to Taipei and it resulted in me not having properly finished the round around the island. Exactly two years later, things were different...


Taiwan's national highway number 18, your gateway to Alishan and Tatajia


The first part was boring and even annoying, going from one red light to another and at times being pushed to a small sideline meant for scooters. As soon as I made connection to Hwy 1, there would be more space.


Big city life in Chiayi


Costco, the place where my friends in Taichung love to do their shopping. I did not know there was also one in Chiayi


The roads led me to Minxiong township, north of Chiayi city. Immediately tranquility returned and the cycling trip regained its charm


Wide open roads at Hwy one, traffic was not very intensive here. Views of rice fields and plains all around me. 


Shortly after Minxiong, I arrived in Yunlin county. Yunlin meant coming virtually home. During my trips in central Taiwan, I would often go to Yunlin. This particular picture was taken in Dounan city.


Everyday I'm cyceling... (sing it to the tunes of Everyday I'm Husteling). The spelling errors are intentionally


There was a very special moment on this last day of my trip around the island: My flatbar had made it over the 14,000km mark. I started cycling with this bike in January of this year, so in eight months I had done 14,000km. That was something really nice. Looking back at all of this now, I realize I have been riding on this bike all summer, except for the KOM ride. I felt proud of this huge number


Yunlin county is not super big and that is how I made it very fast to the north of the region: Citong area. This is located just east from Xiluo.


Then I crossed the Zhuoshui river using the bridge of Hwy 1. Normally I always take the Xiluo bridge, but not this time. This bridge is officially named the Xizhou brdige, after the township that is located just north of it at the very south of Changhua county: Xizhou township.


It's around 3km this bridge


Some construction works ahead of me


The end of the bridge marks the official entrance into Changhua county. I was really close now!


In Changhua I took Hwy 1 all the way north, passing through the villages of Beidou, Yongjing and Yuanlin< 


Then I took a left at Route 146, going west. I had a conversation planned at Birzman, the Taiwanese company I would be working at. However, in the end in did not go through because of my visa issues.


The talk was nice and we even shook hands, but unfortunately it lead nowhere.


After my interview at Birzman, it was time for my next important mission of the day: going to Fengyuan and letting my friends know I was alright. 


Returning to Hwy 1. I would be going to Taichung via Hwy 74 and then I would ride the entire section along the Hanxi river. From Dacun, that would be aruond 50km.


Turning right at Hwy 1, you will enter Hwy 74. You will see where the sign indicates Taichung. THis 74 is only 10km, but it does have two climbs in here. It crosses over Bagua mountain and I recognized routes 137 and 139, places I often cycled this year. Places full of wonderful memories.


The three mountains region, exactly, this is the Bagua mountain area. Remember where the other two of these mountains are? (Xianshan in Miaoli and Lishan in Taichung's Heping)


This is where the road runs past the 139. Left would be back to Changhua city, right would be further down south to eventually Nantou


The Bagua mountain area is a nice site for cycling indeed. Go check it out if you haven't already


I saw the police in the middle of the road, must have been a car accident


Exactly, jackpot!



This is the spot where route 74 ends. I had to cross the street and do some connections and cross a bridge and I would find myself in Taichung's Wuri area. Following the flow of the Han river is all I had to do.


Passing this small bridge was annoying for the scooters that could not pass me in this narrow space> Luckily there weren't a lot of them...


Entering Taichung. It is strange to see that outside of every city lies such a tranquil paradise.


The first few km along the Han river were very calm, along wide open roads. I would go through Wufeng and cross Hwy 3. Then it would be a ride through the city center of Taichung, obviously with a lot of red lights and traffic


There were a  lot of bridges here, in many colours.


New bridges were also built. This section was somewhat longer because of the many stopping signs. 


I stopped at a bike store to pump up my tire, but they did not have a pump for road bikes. Can you believe it??


Then I saw these: the signs that indicate a track for traveling around the island. This would lead to Fengyuan, my next stop of the day.


Also here there was still a visible impact of the typhoon. This is where the Songzhu road lies.


When I saw Fengyuan indicated on the signs I felt home.


Cycling along the Han river, I have done it a few times. Coming from Changhua it is a nice route.


When I arrived at my friend's place, I explained him everything about my phone. He already guessed that I lost my phone. Later he and another friend would even get it back for me. So nice of them! I spent the afternoon with them and we discussed the upcoming three day trip to Kending. Before the evening I went home.


I went home via Shengang and chose the road that runs next to the SRAM factory


SRAM, made in Taiwan!



Shalu was less than ten kilometers from here. I might even make it back before complete darkness.


I stopped at the Taichung Qingquangang airbase for some pictures there. I pass here so often, but never bothered to get a picture. Today was a good excuse for it.


I was chased away by a military dude who told me not to take pictures





It was a nice ride, this trip around the island. I went back home via metropolitan garden. I had been away for eight days, and I had cycled around 1300km.


I had finished something which I failed doing two years ago: cycling completely around the island of Taiwan, regardless of the bad weather patterns. I had less than one week left in Taiwan and then it would all be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment