Sunday, December 20, 2015

July 28, 2015: Racing to the summit of Daxueshan in just two-and-a-half hours

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/847793134
102km, 4h56, elevation 2584m

For today's ride, Mr. Cai and his wife had invited me to join them on a ride to Daxue mountain. Yuan Xin-yi would also join them for riding. However, they wanted to leave rather early so for me coming from Shalu that would mean I would be a lot later. I took my road bike and decided that I would try a Race to Daxueshan 50km. I was hoping to do it in two-and-a-half hours. I had heard about some people in Fengyuan who had done the 5km-43km part in 2h20. I could do better than that and I was gonna show it today!

I had breakfast in Shalu and then I headed out, doing the usual ride to Fengyuan, Shigang and Dongshi. That part, including the breaks, took me about 90 minutes. Then I started to attack Daxue mountain.

I did not take any pictures of my ascent, I did not want to stop. I did not even stop at the 15km police station for water. Progress was good all the time. I was riding on my 23-25 and 28T cogs, never using the 32 one. I was carrying very little weight and I was keeping my cadence good. I had ridden this Daxueshan several times this year and I was way down with the numbers. I was just counting the KMs and I knew what I would be facing. I also knew that steeper sections would be short term and that I could attack them instead of going in defensive mode. Right after the tunnel of 26.5km, I saw their van standing. I knew they started cycling from this position. However, I was clueless as to where I would encounter them.

The only place where I had to stop was the 35km check point. I had to buy a ticket there. I kept it short and took some water while I was there. Then I proceeded. What was strange to me is that I still had not seen Mr. Cai, his wife or Yuan Xin-yi on this first 35km. I was sure that I would meet them somewhere, especially with the speeds I was developing uphill, but nothing!

I continued my climb up the higher spheres of the mountain and at the 40km mark, I still saw nobody. Elevation was already well over 2000 meters and I thought that I would probably meet them coming downhill. 45km, elevation 2500 came and still I saw nobody. I thought that maybe they were waiting for me on the top. By this time I was looking at my GPS constantly, because it was clear that it would be a tight one. Would I make it to 50km in 2.5 hours? Would I make it there from Shalu in 4 hours? I will let you know in a bit...

During the last genuine climb of the mountain, I saw the three of them: they were having a small break at the 48km viewers deck. They were surprised to see I was "already" there. They knew what time I set out from Shalu so their calculations left them astonished. First I continued until the 50km section and there we took pictures and chatted.


My data for the distance between Shalu and the top of Daxue mountain. Less than four hours! I made it to the top of the mountain in just 2.5 hours. Fantastic! I was really happy about that! Only minor detail is that the elevation level on this Garmin 500 was not indicated correctly. I knew from my bike computer and from the elevation signs all over the mountain that I was somewhere around 2600m. But that's fine. What matters is that I got out and rode the ride!


From today's ride, I learnt that these Fulcrum wheels are good for climbing, very good. They had already proven that during the KOM race last week, but today was another personal victory.


Thanks to my friends here I also had a picture of me, right after my attack on Daxue mountain. I could do even faster if I can work out properly. I can do better than this.


It has been a very long time since I rode my Roubaix up here. I have been using that flat bar ever since I got it because of its superior braking power. But the racing experience I got out of the bike today was phenomenal. Rarely have I felt so satisfied over a ride as I do today.


This is my eleventh time up here. That's right; eleven climbs up to Daxueshan 50km. That is quite a bunch!


I waited here for the others to arrive and they did, all dressed in wind jackets for their descent. I was gonna do the same thing here. They too, were happy about climbing to 50km. The views are lovely and we were having a good time together.


Shalu to Daxueshan 50 km, a ride of about 85km with 2500m elevation in 4 hours. Those are impressive numbers! Gotta keep working out!


I was not even carrying a backpack on this ride, which is extremely rare for me. That may only happen once every 25 rides. Today was one of those days.


A picture with what we could call my Taiwanese parents. They have been extremely nice to me over the past years and we have grown to be good friends. They truly made my life in Central Taiwan a lot more fun than it could have been.


Together on top of Daxueshan 50km, yeah! Good job!


During the descent, I wore my wind vest and I did make some pictures. I had done my race, now it was just a routine ride back home. This picture is taken somewhere at the 49km mark. This mountain is somewhere around 3400m. This is a breath taking phenomenal view! I always wonder when I look at the map of Daxueshan, couldn't they just make the road continue until it connects to Hwy 8 somewhere in Deji? That would solve the issue of Hwy 8 being interrupted. I do not comprehend the essence of mountain roads constructions, but it would be damn nice. It would open the possibility for an epic Wuling - Daxueshan ride on one day.


It was getting foggier and mist was rising. Even worse, it started raining on our descent. First it was just a few drops and I was fine with that, but soon enough, the rain intensified and we found ourselves in the middle of a genuine downpour. Even though I was already somewhere at the 39km mark when hell broke loose, the 4km until the check point where I could hide out were long enough. I was pretty much soaked. I hid under the checkpoint rooftop and waited for the others to arrive. I was afraid that maybe one of them would come to a fall because of the wet roads going downhill. Luckily that was not the case and we all made it safe and sound to the 35km point. We hid there for quite some time. During that descent I noticed that my Fulcrums were breaking pretty well in wet conditions. That felt good.


Extremely heavy rainfall on Daxueshan. This was at the 35km checkpoint. This rain continued for quite some time and we were not going anywhere like this. The people who worked here were kind enough to offer us some coffee and cookies, so we could keep our warmth. The original plan was that someone would go down and go get the car, but in the end we waited it out and descended together.  I put my bike in Mr Cai's car and rode with Yuan Xin-yi back to Taichung.


A heavy downpour at Daxueshan. Strangely enough, we saw a guy cycling uphill on a crappy bike. What were his intentions?


Usually it is hard to see rainfall on a picture, but on an intensive downpour like this, even a single snapshot manages to display the magnitude of this rainfall.


The rain eventually stopped and we headed further down. I took a few more pictures while I was here. Beautiful isn't it? My precious bike at this wonderful setting...


Bartman reporting live from Daxueshan, after a heavy downpour. The skies were still clouded, the roads were still wet, but it was good to go.


How could I go home from Daxueshan without a picture of my favorite 32km sky-blue bridge?


The Central Taiwanese mountain range under a gloomy and overcast sky. Somehow this is also a very enticing and charming view. Getting wet and tired while pounding it is also a lovely experience.


Blue bridges ahead


This picture is taken somewhere between the 35km checkpoint and the 26km tunnel. The roads were wet and everything on it smelt like rain. However, it was beautiful to cycle through.


Not long after that we drove back to Taichung. I had tea in the afternoon and in the evening I went home. It was a nice ride today full of precious memories

No comments:

Post a Comment