Saturday, December 5, 2015

August 13, 2015: Dedicating my last days in Taiwan to a spin around the island. Part 1: Taichung - Tamsui

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/906692716
173km, 6h11, elevation 635m

Some background information for this very sudden decision to cycle around the island. I had just received word that I had to leave Taiwan in 14 days. Within less than 400 hours it would all be over. No more Metropolitan Garden, no more Fengyuan, no more Nantou and Wuling, over.

That's why I decided to finish it off with one last spin around the island. I would do it differently from last time: going north first and taking as many different roads as possible from my July trip. For day one, I planned to finally take the Western coast highway 61, which later turns into 15. This would take me to Bali and from there I could go to Tamsui. I would be spending my first night in Tamsui with a friend of mine, Albert Penn.


My departure at Shalu's Beishi Dong road number 200. It was already eight o'clock but I was not in a hurry here.


Couldn't help feeling down abuot leaving, but I guess that's life. It moves on. Just like I will on this trip



I cycled over Taiwan Boulevard (Hwy 12) to Wuqi, where I for the first time went right, going north.


I felt the wind was in my back and this was, needless to say, beneficial to my average speed.


Passing by the fields of Longjing


Officially departed on my third ever ride around the island



Many containers, the daily sight of Taichung harbor.


All the big container companies were represented here



The Gaomei wetlands... I had gone there in the week of Chinese New Year.


This area was somewhat packed with cars. It would improve later on...


The plains of western Formosa


I had spent more than a year in central Taiwan and it was only the first time I was riding this section. I felt this was a remarkable fact, because it can be a nice way of going to Taipei.


Crossing the Dajia river, this time from a different bridge


This particular area is the Da'an area of Taichung. It is right next to Qingshui and it confines with the Taiwan Strait. It is a very small area though. I never cycled through here on my trips.



This is one of those sections where the express way and the highway run together. Of course, I can only use the highway section


But I did cycle on the left one for some time because I did not quite understand. When I realized, I hopped over the fence and got back on the highway.


The multitude of vehicles at Taichung harbor was gone here


I was officially on the Cycle-around-Taiwan bicycle lanes. I had seen these before, for instance in Fengyuan.


I made it into the second region of the journey: Miaoli. These road works lasted for quite some time.


I saw there was a tourist attraction here, called the Yuanli tourist harbor. Yuanli can be considered as the most southern and western area of Miaoli region


A nice spot to bring your family on a relaxing afternoon


This morning I was the only visitor though


I had put on my Ipod for some nice music during this relaxing ride. I did not do that on my previous ride around the island.



The Yuanli tourist harbor and beach recreation area was actually quite nice


I saw this bridge and decided to go check it out. I made a small video report here.


Then I noticed that the Hwy 61 disappeared and I found myself on Hwy 1. I ended up under a bridge that was Tongluo area. It was where I had one of my first map-based rides in August last year. I stopped at that 711 to ask them how to ride via Hwy 61. They told me that it was not like one road, it was interrupted on several places and I just had to keep following Hwy 1 to find it back.


Tongluo train station. Route 128 was very close to hear.


So this is where that route is, the Cape of Good Hope. No time for it today, but is nice for later. I saw some friends on FB riding here, but I never knew where it was. Now I do...


Hwy 6 was indicated here, meant I was already in northern Miaoli. In the meantime I had found Hwy 61 back.


Serious solo riding under the best of conditions: warm weather, clear blue skies and tail wind


I think this is already Xinzhu county.


This pack of blue water is referred to as the Taiwan Strait


No I am wrong, it is still Miaoli. These cycling signs are from Miaoli




A nice car


No idea what that giraffe was doing there




I saw there was some kind of bike path running parallel to Hwy 61. I decided to investigate it.



It was super quite here


Naluwan, must be some aboriginal word. I hear and see it often in Taiwanese Chinese.


Without looking I found one of the places I had heard of before: The Xinzhu 17km along the coast


This small lane only led to the sea


Aboriginal paintings. When I came, some people sitting outside were looking at me.



Along the coast...


From here I could start following this 17km along the coast. Although I only joined in the middle, so it was about 10km. I was going in the direction of Hongshulin Park. Funny name, because Hongshulin would also be the final stop for today, Hongshulin, Tamsui, New Taipei City that is.


I will prefer a cycling lane almost always over a normal road.


The famous coastal 17km of Xinzhu


The Taiwan Strait... For now I could now see the Peopl's Liberation Army attacking just yet.


There you go, with an English translation: The 17kms coastline


The Meishan part of the cycle path


It was getting very warm and I noticed my skin was turning red. Is that a sunburn haha


I only saw a few people here, the roads were mine.




I made a small video report here while cycling



Bicycles please to the left


A few colorful bridges along the road



I was getting a sun burn here. I did put on tan though




beautiful views along this 17km coastline



In these settings really nice


Riding around with my flatbar, yeah! The perfect tool for cycling around the island.



I don't think that fish is too happy with being out on the dry


For cycling tourists, this place has something to offer. I saw another white couple here.



Granting my bike a break. Only three km to the end of this cycling path


Love, the one word I did not want to see but that's ok.


Romantic small lanes



The end of the Xinzhu 17km coastal bike path. This area was called Zhubei (the north of Xinzhu). I stopped at a 7-11 for a break. During that break I received a phone call from one of the friends I met during the Hualien Wuling race. He asked me where I was and he apologized for not being able to meet me today. That's fine. Obviously he was working...


Zhubei was also the place where Hwy 15 started. it meant I was already passed the halfway point of today's ride. I remember route 15 from my time in Bali, New Taipei city. It is the road that leads to the airport. Now I would be going to Taipei from here. Nice!


This huge statue lured me to this square.


Honestly, I would also have chosen to park my car under that tree. Excellent location!


A huge temple, neatly equipped with an electrical info banner


Discovering tiny roads in Taoyuan county, however this particular one did not lead to somewhere. My destiny was Hwy 15.


Some industrial park



Daguan ahead of me. I was calculating the distance and I knew I was making good progress in Taoyuan county. The airport should not be too far anymore.



Somewhat more traffic here. I recognized these roads from a distant past




Linkou, that was one of the places indicated in Wugu, where I worked in 2012. It must be very close now.



I took a quick break at a Hi-Life right next to this huge temple


I remember this from my taxi ride to the airport on December 21st, 2012. Cool to be cycling here now and coming from the central region


Luchu bicycle




This section was packed with more traffic. Makes sense, it is the part that runs from Taipei to the airport, which was now behind me. I saw some aircraft flying around too.



I saw a blue plane preparing for landing and it happened to be a KLM flight, what a coincidence. Must have come from Amsterdam.


Peculiar skies


Thanks for visiting Taoyuan and welcome to New Taipei city.



Magic!


Look at this, sunny on the left and dark on the right. Very special!


Unfortunately my way was into the darkness



Skies were turning dark. It would probably be raining later


Around here I did around 150km already


This was a very unique view, the sun rays colliding with the skies that were about to burst. Tamsui was already indicated on the signs... If the year was 2012, I would almost be home.



Cows running in the wild







So close to the roads!


And big in numbers as well.

Peacefully enjoying the grass



Only twenty km left to Tamsui, nice! At this very moment I fell a warmth in my heart. I was doing something I should have done three years ago.




There were a great deal of small roads and hills next to the roads. The numerous mysteries that surround Taiwan. I shoudl write a book about it.


I entered one of the smaller roads for some sight seeing. Looking at the Garmin Map now, I realize there are actually quite a lot of mountains in the depths of this area. I only know of one: Guanyin Mountain.


Looking at the map like I do now teaches me there is so much more to new Taipei city than what I used to know and understand. Oh how I would like to go back and keep exploring


Feeling good! Now let's proceed


Hwy 15 ahead of me


Hwy 15, 15km mark, this meant that Tamsui was very close now.


Welcome to the Bali district of New Taipei City. From here I would return to 2012, when I lived here and came here so often.



The Shisanhang prehistoric museum. How could I ever forget...


Worth a visit to those interested in the early history of Taiwan


I came here several times in 2012, also because there was a Giant shop right across the street. I actually wanted to go there today, but they were closed. It even looked like they were out of business A lot can change in three years.


Memories surrounded me on this path


I had a phone call with Ke Menghan here, but he was not able to join me tonight


And I even managed to get lost for a second here, but I found my way easily back.



If you ask me what touches me so deeply about Taiwan, the answer would be I cannot quite put my finger on it.



A very authentic view of Bali


Another wonderful and eternal ride today!


Cycling on days when others work has its advantages


The Keelong river, a plane crashed here in February this year.



This was new: BALI. Too bad these dumb girls did not want to get out of my picture


I met another guy cycling around the island here. He was cycling one of them foldable bikes. He would be spending two weeks for the ride.


Engaging the heart of Bali. Actually there was another 4-5km to do on Hwy 15, but I wanted to ride this section.


The Bali old street was still there...


Always people here


Bali left bank, because it is left from the Keelong river


Typhoon damage... awfully visible


It had been about a week now but the damage was still very visible.


The Bali left bank cycling lanes. From here, the Guandu bridge and the passage to Danshui was close.


Watching these typhoon-stricken trees had a silencing effect on me. Made me feel little



Living here is also quite nice


A first glimpse of Guandu bridge


The connection between the two banks. I heard there will be a new bridge at the very northern tip of Bali and Danshui, which would make the passage direct for people going from Danshui to Bali. Maybe that will be ready when I get back


At the top of the little climb


A view from over the bridge. Just after taking this picture, it began raining. It was not far until the other side of the bridge, where I could hide it out, but I still got wet.


Raining in New Taipei City.


The Guandu bridge, I think it is about 700 meters long



I descended fro; that blew fenced path and hid it out under the bridge


Hiding from the rain. I think I stood here for about 15-20 minutes



I had seen it in the air when I was in Taoyuan. I knew I was gonna get it. Honestly speaking, it did not last very long though.


I went to the De-an tea house. I had a long chat with Fan Tingyu. She now runs this place alone. A lot has changed since I last saw her, which is already back in 2013. Time flies so fast! It was good tasting that tea again.


The Guandu temple


The Taipei cycling lanes... My territory back in 2011.


It finally stopped raining, but the roads were still wet


From here, I would go to Danshui


Guandu. The cycling path would run parallel to the metro line.


Zhuwei, Hongshulin was close...


More typhoon damage


That concrete is seriously fucked up by the forces of wind. Scary!



Hongshulin MRT was right here.


I visited Al and we had Sushi together. We drove to the Tamsui sport center on his scooter. We had a long chat. It was nice seeing him again. He was busy as usual on several projects.
.

A very crowded area in Hongshulin. I used to really want to live here, but now all has changed.


Hwy 2, my challenge for tomorrow. Now sushi time!


Qingsong, which means relaxing! A nice first day of my third ride around Taiwan was now finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment