Monday, November 2, 2015

May 19, 2015: Completing my second double Wuling challenge with a perfect score!

May 19th: Part 2: All the way back to Shalu, entering Wuling from the east!
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/778820022

Tbh honest, I did not get a good night rest at the hostel. I have nothing against room sharing etc but it is not what you need when you do this kind of cycling. Anyway, I woke up at 01:40 and decided not to go back to sleep, out of fear for sleeping too late. I got dressed and yet, hit the road before it was even 3 am. Now that is bad ass! I cycled all the way to the entrance of Taroko Gorge on the dark and even the first hour inside I did in complete darkness. This is a setting that will terrify many cyclist, but for me, it was already the second time to do this crazy ass cycling. The sooner I start, the sooner I get back to Western Taiwan, so I did not wanna waste time. Luckily I have good equipment so I can take this kind of challenge



First checkpoint of the day: Xincheng, the start of Hwy 8


Only darkness and silence around here


Straight ahead into the Taroko gorge


I once cycled this Hwy 9 when I cycled around Taiwan in 2013. At the time I would not have been able to do what I did today


Hwy 8, 189km. The ending (or starting) point of Hwy 8. From here it is one large climb until 112km and then another 11km to Wuling.


The entrance to Taroko, in the middle of the night


It was March when I last came here and today I was even earlier than I was then.




Let's go!


I had already done this once, so I did not really feel scared. My backpack was heavy as usual with several bottles of water



The gorge in the middle of the night



Slowly day was falling upon me



This ride was actually quite lovely, it got light after one hour of cycling and I had already passed Tianxiang. I had my first brake at Xibao, elev. 910 and the view was absolutely stunning. This was a picture taken at 06:03 am, a time when most people are still dreaming. I was in fact living the drea, dozens of km inside of Taroko Gorge


I had already made significant progress when the darkness was gone. I was well on schedule





Guyuan tunnel ahead of me



Gaining altitude


At 6am in the morning, the sunrise was breath taking



It was so calm here, hardly saw any vehicles


The 160km mark, already 29km inside of Hwy 8, altitude almost 1000


Stunning Xibao in the morning, this would be another fabulous day




A quick break at Xibao


From here it was just calculating the KM, going to 112 and considering my elevation, destination 3300. I occiasonally stopped for some pictures and once for a longer break, at 128km, elevation 2100 at 9am. I had a good breakfast, charged my GPS and went for it again. Things were really going great and my backpack was getting lighter as I approached the fatal ten km of Dayuling to Wuling. I had a quick break before I entered the Grand Finale of the race of June and had some snapshots at it too:

When I reached the top, I felt the weather conditions weren't getting any better, so I decided not to waste too much time. A picture on top of Wuling and hit the road. Of course, wearing a bit more textile for the cold descent. Don't wanna be paralyzed by freezing temperatures in a time where I need the fragile control of my fingers for braking the most...


Elevation prospects for the next 20km



This section was not so steep, good for making speed


Xinbaiyang, 142mk mark, already 47km inside Hwy 8, altitude 1640. Progress was remarkable




I just had to take a picture at this cute little red bridge, it never loses its charm


Feeling great on a legendary ride


What can I say, this is the best Taiwan has to offer




Hehuan Police station


116km mark, I was really close to the 112 cross section.


That is correct, a 500 meter elevation gain in 6km, that means steep roads coming



Deviating for Hwy 14-2



I took a break here and then I went for it! Now where's that 32T cog!


Fog and mist





Elevation 3000, the weather was somewhat deteriorating here


34km, finally a moment of rest with this small descent. The previous 6km had been very intense


Wuling, the second time in two days! Amazing feeling



Kunyang, my descent had officially started



On my descent, I stopped by Qingjing to pick up a little thing for friend of mine and I went down again. When I neared Wushe the sky was dark and at Renzhiguan it had already turned into a sudden downpour. Luckily there was a little shack, decided to hide it out over there. What a coincidence, the guy I was having a chat with up there was hiding there too. We had a little chat, I offered him some cookies and we returned to Puli together. I added his FB and we might ride Wuling together on a next occasion. I had to take one more downpour in Puli and then I was good for the rest of the trip.




Raining in Wushe, good thing I already descended a lot



Hiding with a new-made friend


I went back via Tai 14 where Nathan came along around Caotun. His broken BB was a turn off,but it did not spoil the pleasure of meeting him again. He took me through some small roads back to Wufeng and then we rode on to Wuril, where I started to feel weary. I really needed to get home! I did my last 25km guided by GPS. One more thing worth noting: I was waiting at a red light at Xiangshang road when two cyclists where watching at me and checking out my bike. They wanted to race me uphill. Bad luck for them, even though I just spent the last 48hours cycling 480km, most of it uphill, I could still find the power to send their arrogant asses back home. They couldnt even come near me during that climb. That was actually a WONDERFUL feeling, as it reiterated my wonderful physical shape. Keep on pounding them pedals!

When I got back home, I took a shower, had a good meal and just lied on my bed and noticed nothing until the next morning. WHAT A RIDE!!!!



Hanging around with Nathan Miller, it's just part of the double central cross island fun



No comments:

Post a Comment