Sunday, November 1, 2015

May 18, 2015: Riding the most beautiful of Taiwan's roads under the best conditions imaginable

May 18th: Part 1: From Shalu to Hualien, entering Wuling from the West
Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/778819974

From where I live, Hualien city is a different world. I am located in Central Taiwan, in Taichung. There is basically three ways to go to Hualien, which is, by plane, by train/car going all the way around the Island, or crossing it over Mount Wuling, which will be 3275m of elevation gain... Just like I did in March, I chose option three: central crossing the entire island of Taiwan from Shalu to Hualien, passing through Taichung, Wufeng, Caotun, Guoxing, Puli, Wushe, Qingjing, Cuifeng, Dayuling, Luoshao, Tianxiang, Xincheng, all the way to Hualien city.

I started my day really early, waking up at 2:57 am. I got dressed, had a quick breakfast and hit the road. The first section was Taiwan Boulevard to Dali, a section I often pass on my way to work. But this time it was all in the dark and only a few cars around to keep me company. In Taichung i went for Wufeng and by the time I got there, it was already getting lighter and lighter. I remember from my march trip that is was only getting light somewhere around Puli.

After I passed Wufeng I made it to Caotun, which is the location where I can take Highway 14. This is the long straight, sometimes hilly road that will take me to the foot of Mount Wuling. Shalu to Puli will be about 80km, so I decided to have a little break there. I stopped at the 7-11 where I always stop, even got a chance to chat with my buddy haha, that was niec! After that I went for Puli's Central Taiwan geographical steele, aka the start of the race "Attacking Wuling from the West". Here I met two guys from Tainan who came over especially for this trip. They took me a picture, which was nice.



Taiwan's central geography steele at Puli





Hwy 14, going to Wushe



A perfect day for this ride




After that picture, it was time for action: no bullshit, just climbing from elevation 200 to 3300. And I only got 50km to spend on that, so things will be steep later on! But practice makes a master and as this was already my, what? Tenth time! up there, I did not really have issues with this mountain. A very ncie statistique: I cycled Wuling ten times, each time departing from Shalu or Hualien. Which is both more than a 100km from the foot of the mountain, which makes the climb even more spectacular. From Puli to Wushe the only steep section is at Renzhiguan, around Tai14';s 78km mark. That will be about five or six km of climbing at a grade of 7-8&. It does have a 12-13% in there as well. But once again, I have done that section more than ten times and i was not going to be hammered by it today.




The first tunnels


What a view, what a day, what a ride!



Daguan bridge


Conditions were a whole lot better than March


Renzhiguan


When I made it to Wushe, I decided to hook up on some reinforcements for down the road, take some pictures and start my very long ascent along "the road to heaven". That road was fantastic this time, with an unprecedented lovely weather. The views along the road were still the same and my memories of it haven't change: Tou89 after 4km, Qingjing farm after 7km, the highest 711 in Taiwan on 11km, the police station of Cuifeng at 18km, the last rest stop at 24km, Kunyang at 29km and at last, Wuling at 31km. It really went relaxingly well this time. Never felt pain, just really enjoyed the lovely ride! Of course, up there pictures had to be taken!



The cross-section, left to Wuling, straight ahead to Lushan


The start of the road to Heaven




A view back, Caotun feels far away from here


Indescribable







The highest 7-11 of Taiwan at more than 2000 meters


The Qingjing Farm area




I love this helmet, it was my birthday present to myself


Almost halfway on the way to heaven, approaching Cuifeng


Cuifeng at elevation 2309m. From here, Wuling is not that far anymore




Some narrow stretches



Beautiful and eye-caressing



The skyline over Hehuan mountain


Steep as hell but what a sight


Living an unforgettable day



Gaining altitude...



Yuanfeng, only 8km until Wuling



Elevation 2750m













Slowly making it to the summit



The higher I got, the more chilly it was, so I put on my wind stopper


Kunyang at 3060 meters. Only two km until the summit



A tourist took my picture


I was wearing my MTB shoes for this ride


A very steep ascent



There is it: Wuling! Far ahead






I made it to Wuling, once again



Always some folks around here to take my picture


After that brief moment of glory, it was time for the journey to continue. Going down to Hualien is still a very hazardous job, as it does implicate a descent of 3300meters over more than a hundred km. A good chance to polish up on my descending skills that is :-) Down the road there are two more little nasty climbs in there: one before making it to Highway 8, and the other one at Highway 8 around 123km mark. Apart from that it was a roller coaster ride with the occasional tunnels. I did stop for some pictures and to enjoy the view. Man, I really chose the best day every for this epic ride! So happy with the weather!


From where I just came



Getting ready for a descent



Pretty crowded here... Nothing strange about it, this was an extraordinarily fabulous day



The beauty of Hehuan mountain



Epic pictures of an epic ride



Conditions were the best they could have been. Descending with my rim brakes here was very OK.


Even though at some places the gradient was very steep (+20%)



I made it down the most dangerous part. From here things would not be so steep any more.



Going to the right, for Taroko gorge. One day I will ride the left section to Lishan.



Dayuling, where the magic of Hwy 8 commences


The descent was like a dream, nothing but beautiful sceneries everywhere I looked


There was a 4km ascent here


I love these adorable red bridges, so nostalgic


That vehicle ain't going nowhere.


The end of the climb at that tunnel


Hehuan mountain


Sliding down in the vortex of time and memory



The afternoon was beautiful as well, no fog, nothing



The end of the cross-central island highway 8. I had now officially gotten revenge for my ride in March. That felt fantastic!



After this incredibly long roller coaster ride down, I made it to the legendary 189km mark of highway 8. Now that feeling of standing here, having departed from Shalu, is just joy, pride, and rejoicement combined. Never felt so good on my bike! Really hammered it this time! Last time I came here it was not the same as I had to hitchhike because of the poor weather conditons. This time, every inch from my front door to this mythical location has been my own achievement! It makes me love cycling even more! Let me share that wonderful moment with you guys!

The only thing that separated me from successfully completing this day, was the 27km to Nita Lin's hostel in Hualien city. I had prepared the GPS location so I just had to follow the road proposed by my Garmin. And even though he sent me through some remote places, I still made it to Hualien before dark. MAN WHAT A DAY!


End of day 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment