Monday, November 23, 2015

July 1, 2015: Discovering the real Nantou-97 in the hills of Xinshe and Guoxing

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/820306737
155km, 7h38, elevation 2724m

I had run into some troubles with the Taichung labour department earlier this week, so I could really use a relaxing ride. I went for some hill hopping in the hills of Guoxing and Xinshe on my flatbar, in a realm where stress and worries did not exist.

In the early morning I went to Shalu and I climbed to Xinshe via Taichung-88 萬里長城. 





Taichung-88 in the early morning


In need of a a ride where I can escape reality


This is where the tunnel of Wanli Changcheng has a small opening. It is not a connecting road but the view is lovely


So tranquil these hills


A lot has happened in the last few days but being out here is still soothing


I stopped for some drinks at the Zhongxingling 7-11, then I continued my journey. I connected to Taichung 95-1, which is in fact in the direction of Guguan


Guguan, from a Xinshe perspective


Zhonghe village in Xinshe


The starting point of the very short Taichung 95-1


Taichung city, not where I want to be now.

Via Taichung 95-1 I connected to Hwy 21, the road to Baimaoshan. Today I would check out the little road to Touguishan, one that I had never done before.


At the 3km mark of Hwy 21, right to Touguishan.


The first few km of this road were neatly paved, tranquil and with a relative easy gradient. The road did continue uphill until around elevation 1000m.


The road down there is Baimaoshan. A different way of looking upon it.


Seeing some hitherto unknown stretches of Formosa


The twists and turns of Baimaoshan


I had imagined this road to be a LOT worse than this. It was a smooth ride, with only a few vehicles passing here.


Romantic leafs


After some five km, the roads got smaller


And I could feel and see the elevation rising


One wider section, after that it was all small roads. According to my GPS, I was already higher than the peak of Baiaoshan, which was at 750m. It striked me that there could be so many little mountain paths. I could spend days and weeks around here.


You rarely see cyclists here and I can't help wondering why...


I didn't think this climb would be longer and tougher than Baimaoshan, but it was!



Continuing my clmib


A few hundred meters from here I reached a cross section with two ways to go. I chose to stay on the main road going straight ahead, but the other section had to be explored during another ride.


I did not actually cycle here, but standing in front of it was really steep.


Playing hide and seek within Central Formosa


I love these signs, they indicate: farm road or agricultural road. The indicated speed is 15kmph and they are often very steep and small.


This particular location was high enough, above 1000m


Not a living soul around here, what a shame, these roads are GREAT!


The next section was just a small road going further and further, but again with occasional side roads. I really wonder what there is to see in these side roads.


Hard to imagine people live here, so far away from the cities


Then all of the sudden something very remarkable happened: I saw the sign of Nantou-97. I immediately realized that the small road I had been cycling a few times between Guoxing and Xinshe was not Nantou-97. The road I was going to descent was the real Nantou-97. So there are two small roads connecting Xinshe and Guoxing? That is SUPER COOL and it opens a lot of possibilities for hill hopping rides over here. This was the best discovery of the entire month!


Nantou-97, not even 10km, but with some serious elevation changes.


Now this view is gorgeous!


I had climbed up from Touguishan and I was at elevation 1000m. Taking Nantou-97 to Guoxing meant that I was going for a descent. This descent was difficult enough with steep gradients and sharp turns. Something that requires disc brakes in order to be done safely.


I stopped here for a small video report. Man what a terrific location, this is so wonderful!


Howly shit! 24% downhill? This is no road bike's job! Good thing I was riding with disc brakes here!


How could I tell I was already in Nantou county? Obviously because of the betelnut trees


Super-dooper road conditions! Enjoy!


With such steep gradients, altitude loss was quick


This is Taiwan's pure beauty right here!


Counting down, four km to go


More small roads to explore, where will it end! This is a maze full of joy! It is like giving a BUCKET full of gummy beers to a five-year old. Can't finish them all at once, and if I'd try, I would get sick



These places could get scary in typhoons or heavy rain though


Guoxing township in 2000 meters



My roller coaster ride was over, I would be facing another climb now

When I reached the 0km point I knew exactly where I was. To put it simply, the entrance to the real Nantou-97 was just next to the other path I had done a few times before. There were in fact two ways to connect to Xinshe from here. A very worthy discovery indeed. I decided to first go to the Family Mart nearby and then come back for that other small road.


The only Family Mart of Hwy 21. Puli southeast in 21km, Tianleng northwest in 21km



Checking out some small allies along Hwy 21


Cute picture

.
Then I took the other small mountain path back to Xinshe, the one I had always thought was Nantou-97. According to the Garmin map it is called Zhang xing industry road.


Bye bey Guoxing, back to Taichung now


My fifth visit to this epic mountain path 


This is really one of the best places ever to escape from worries and stress. Excellent pick for today's ride


Cruising at altitude


Some mud to play with


Nothing to see here...




I came here once in terrible weather, today was great though



The summit of this climb is also located at 1000m. From Guoxing the climb takes 10km.


The end of my fifth encounter with Zhangxing, aka Changliupo 


I checked out what was behind that temple of Taichung-95. It seemed like there was also a route that led to somewhere here. Too much information for one day


No idea where this would lead to


I took Hwy 8 back to Dongshi, then I did another climb up to Gonglaoping and then I went back to Fengyuan. Today was truly a ride full of discoveries. Splendid ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment