Sunday, November 15, 2015

July 16, 2015: Reliving the dream of cycling around Taiwan, stage 6: Taipei - Taichung

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/835577841
209km, 8h44, elevation 2299m

I woke up early again in Taipei and I realized it was the last day of my ride around Taiwan. Before leaving the hostel, I had a little chat with the receptionist, who was curious about my travels around the island. I started by going back to the Dadaocheng peer. Mission for today was finding Hwy 3 and then it was southwards all the way. Actually I had done this ride once before, in September 2014 when I visited All and John for the Mid-Summer Festival. When I cycled to Taipei I used the coastal highway 1 and when I came back I used hwy 3.

The most difficult part of today would be finding this hwy 3 in the greatness of Taipei city. Luckily I did bring my map and I saw that I had to cross Banqiao, Tucheng and Sanxia. So I first asked people how to go to Banqiao. Luckily that was super close, all I had to do was cross a bridge.


Crossing the bridge that leads to Banqiao area. It was not even 6am so traffic was low.


The Taipei cycling maze is very complex, but it makes cycling to work a lot of fun. I used to use them when I lived in Danshui and worked in Wugu.


Then I had to find my way to Tucheng, which was located in New Taipei City. In Tucheng I would find Hwy 3 since it runs straight through the village. I asked somebody and I got instructions from then. When I saw Tucheng, I recognized the roads from September last year. I had made it to the starting point of Hwy 3.


Welcome to New Taipei City. I had officially left Taipei city. Next counties I would have to cycle through were: Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli and Taichung.


Most important fact of the entire ride: I found the connection to Hwy 3. All I had to do now was stay on it and repeat my September 2014 ride. I stopped at a breakfast shop for some food and of course Doujiang. The shop owner was very friendly to me, maybe because I was one of the earliest clients that day.


Bartman commencing his journey south along hilly hwy 3


Somewhere between Tuchenv and Sanxia in the early morning. New Taipei City was slowly awakening from its slumber.


On the very edge of New Taipei city : Sanxia


Coming here is also returning to the past. In the summer of 2013, when I visited Taiwan for three weeks, John with his wife and All and me did a cycling trip to Sanxia. Unfortunately like the rest of that summer, it was raining all day. It was a setback for that ride. Today the sun was shining.


Next region: Taoyuan. Already in the third of six-to-do regions today. There was some climbing to do in this section.


Daxi, Taoyuan's Daxi, because there are three of them in Taiwan. The other one is located in Yilan and then there is one in Taitung I believe.


I noticed that this was where Hww 7 started. The Northern cross island highway would start here, connect to Datong Yilan and go back to Yilan city (the part I did yesterday). I really have to come back for this one.


This bridge is called the Wuling bridge, the same characters as Hehuanshan's Wuling.


It was getting later and people were on their way to work. A lot of traffic here. Makes sense, because several roads were connecting here. Luckily I could pass by the cars. I had to follow the blue roads.


Then there was more traffic...


And then it turned into a genuine traffic jam. I proceeded with caution. I could pass through


From this picture's perspective, I came from the right and I continued left, just following hwy 3. I just wanted to remember this lane number for future rides.


Then there was a somewhat longer downhill section


After that crowded section packed with cars, the roads became very tranquil. I was already south of Taoyuan city. This place is called Guanxi. You can see it on my map, it's not that far from Hsinchu anymore. 


I took a piss on a side road where nobody could see me and took a snapshot while I was here


Day six of my tour around Taiwan and I was still feeling fit enough. The thought of nicely completing this ride made me happy.



Steadily proceeding my way south along Hwy 3. I did not suffer from heavy head winds. I bet that would be different on the coast.


I have seen a lot of these views lately, but that did not affect their beauty.


Hwy 3 is referred to by several Taiwanese politicians as the romantic highway. It does make sense, the feeling of being here is really romantic and relaxing


Beipu, that was in Hsinchu county. Already in my fourth of six regions for today. Progress was very good, I did not have to make a lot of stops.


A local school. I was looked at by the teacher for taking a picture here...


It was a warm day


I had to stop here for a picture. This is where I cycled in early September when I came back from Taipei. I took a picture at the same spot. It was heard to believe that ten months had already passed since then. In those ten months I did a lot of cycling and I gained a thorough understanding of Taiwan's roads.


Down this road there is a private property. That owner has a remarkable view. Congrats to him.


Emei, the last village of Hsinchu. While I was riding in Hsinchu I did notice the connections to routes 120 and 122. Those two roads lead to the backyard of Hsinchu county, an area I have yet to explore.


Coming from Taipei, most of it does go downhill. By this time everybody was already at work and the roads were all mine.



A lot to do for recreational minded people



Then I saw this one again. Must have been because I was approaching Miaoli's Xianshan.


Process was extremely good. I already made it to Miaoli, region five out of six. Miaoli is one of the regions where I did most of my cycling over the last year, therefore it bears special memories to me.


This was the most northern part: Sanwan township


Miaoli was my area. I would do a lot of cycling here, so it already felt like being home


If you look on the map you will see that although Miaoli is already the second last region when going to Taichung, the distance covered in Miaoli is the longest. The sections of Taipei, Taoyuan and Hsinchu are relatively short compared to Miaoli.


Beautiful Hwy 3, the hours we spent together will never be forgotten! Especially those August 2014 rides, where it would be extremely hot and I was completely knocked out by these hills.


Sanwan county



The only tunnel of Hwy 3, between Sanyi and Shitan. There are a few hills here


Home was very close now. Soon my round trip of the island would be complete. Sweet!


Next in line was Shitan. For those who do not know what to do here, just have a look at the signs!


Another Old Street, quite a lot of them all around Taiwan.



The road to Xianshan (route 124)


Of course I stopped in that Family Mart for a break. I had lunch and I contacted Liao Shi-jie. He was astonished that I was already in Shitan. He calculated that I would be back in Fengyuan in two hours.



Miaoli-64 to Yanshuikeng, stuff I had to explore later on...


This might well be a super steep and fun little road that could lead to somewhere


I was looking for small roads and little connection paths to use on future rides. If you look closely, there are a lot of them in Miaoli.


The exact center of the Miaoli region, don't really know who comes up with this stuff.


My precious bike, thank you for providing me this wonderful tour of Taiwan



For those who enjoy reading


Wenshui, a tiny place between Dahu and Shitan.This was already the halfway point of Miaoli.


I still have to check what lays behind this bridge, must be some tribal villages


In my humble opinion, Miaoli is one of the most beautiful parts of Taiwan.



Tai'an hot spring, your gateway to Xinzhongheng.


Dahu, the strawberry paradise was rising in front of me


Also some small roads to check out here. I have a lot of undone work in this area.


I noticed these new mascottes everywhere, a government attempt to lure more tourists into financially down Miaoli? Anyway, I feel that Miaoli is a wonderful region. I have spent unforgettable days and weeks here


If I had a Diverge, I would definitely go check out this path. Looks thriller to me.



From the inside this is how Hwy 3 looks like


Jiangmayuan, also new! This is the entrance to route 130. For a minute I was thinking, should I climb to Sanyi and go back to Houli? But I decided today was all about Hwy 3.


What were my national colors doing here?


Next stop: Zhuolan. I was already heading for the south of Miaoli and Taichung was soaring up in front of me/ This part of Hwy 3 (around the 142km mark) had a few nice climbs and descents. Just before making it to Zhuolan city there is a somewhat longer climb too.


A few months ago it was relatively dry here. I could see from this reservoir that the past few raining sessions had done Taiwan good


It is a very simple statement: no water, no life!


Zhuolan used to be part of Taichung city, funny little fact


After the last climb of Hwy 3. Now I just had to descent to Zhuolan city, cross that Zhuolan bridge and I would be in Taichung. Fengyuan was very close. I also wanted to go back ASAP. I had been away for a week. It was time to go back.


The sign might say Fengyuan 15km, but I know a shortcut. Ain't no 15km for me!


The last few pictures at the Fengyuan intersection. I was back!


I first returned to my friends in Fengyuan who were happy to see me. They planned to go cycling Gonglaoping, so I joined them. That extra 20km was not gonna kill me. Moreover, because of that extra spin I did another 200km ride. After the climb we had Cuabing with Mango. Really good mhmm!


And then I went back to Shalu. When I returned it was already dark. I had successfully completed this tour around Taiwan. In total I had covered 1168km km in 49 hours and 15 minutes with 12,145 meters of elevation gain. It was a fantastic and unforgettable six days and five nights. Thank you Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment