Wednesday, November 18, 2015

June 3, 2015: Meeting a new friend en route to Daxueshan 50km

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/793446376
171km, 8h00, elevation 2853m

Mr. Cai had invited me to a ride on Daxueshan together. How could I say no to that? I decided to join him even if that meant getting up very early to be in Fengyuan at 05:30. We had a quick breakfast together and then we hit the road.

In Shigang I had an argument with a bus driver that was being a total asshole. He blocked me out of the bike lane by saying that was a lane only for buses. I spit on his face and then kept on going. Taiwanese just do not know how to properly conduct a motor vehicle.

We stopped at the last 7-11 before the big climb. We saw two other cyclists there and we started to chat. They knew who I was from my postings at the Specialized forum. He had read about my double Wuling challenge, that was funny. They left before us, somewhat later mr. Cai and I hit the road too.

Unfortunately Mr. Cai was not feeling well. At the 7km point he decided to go back. He was feeling to weak for this climb. Moreover, there were road construction works and the pavement was full of tiny stones that got glued to our tires. That was super annoying. I think he was afraid to cycle up like that. As he went back home, it was just me again for a solo ride up to Daxueshan.

Not much later I met those two guys agani and I started riding together with them. We chatted about cycling related stuff.



A picture at the 13km mark taken by my new friend


I was bike-cam equipped for a day of mountain fun.



This is how my tire looked after passing by the construction works. One could start worrying about getting a flat like that. I spend several minutes trying to rub off those stones but they were glued to that rubber. It was impossible to get them all off. I just did my best and tried.


First big stop as usual: the 15km Dadong police station


The right guy also had to go back home because of obligations. I cycled together with the left one, surname Zhuang. He rode an SW Allez road bike with ZIP 303 wheels. Nice bike!


The two riders that remained for the rest of Daxueshan


That new buddy said we had to take a picture here. He liked this spot a lot


Can't say he's wrong, it is a beautiful location


This picture gives a completely different view of Daxueshan


The three B's: Bartman, bike, beautiful Daxueshan


On top of that, we had a beautiful day


The section between 15km and 26.6km, we both cycled our own pace. It is the only way to go for uphill sections. He was lighter than me, but I had better physical condition and cadence, which resulted in me arriving before he did.


This Daxueshan is a route I will never get sick off, never! I can do this one 300 times a year



Gradually gaining altitude, this is somewhere around 1200m


The half-way-there point: 25km, elevation 1344m


This is an incredible right on ordinary week days, almost no traffic


Man I LOVE this route! I have cycled it nine or ten times now. In less than one year


If you look closely at the map, you will see the location of this Daxueshan route, nothing important near it.


I can only blame myself for not taking more pictures of this fantastic ride



I waited for him at this tunnel, we went through it together



The section between 26.5 and 35km is relatively easy, we rode this together


There he is, riding his pace. He was riding with a Rotor, trying to keep his wattage constant


Nice guy, nice bike, nice wheels!


Climbing out of the saddle



The marvelous 32km bridge



Then we made it to the 35km check point. Entering here is a 150 NT. He was not sure about going in. He was afraid it would be raining. We asked the clerk and then I convinced him to join me. Cycling to 35km is no ride, 50km is!


Thanks for this picture




The gorgeous waterfall of 41km





There was fog in the higher spheres of the mountain. For us riders it meant that we ought not to linger too long. Do our ride, take our snapshots and get the heck out of here.


Mountain mist, in a later stage that will be rain



Continuing our quest for the skies




A snapshot of me


We would be there in less than 2km



The reward of our hard struggle: the 50km mark!



Daxueshan 50km, so what?




In the end he was happy to have done it. Told him so!


Then we put on our wind vest and descended



A 50km downhill full of twists and turns, only fun when riding disc brakes


During that descent my flatbar bike made it to 8000km, in a good five months that is!


We continued our descent gradually because with his carbon wheels he had to be careful. We made it safe downhill. In the afternoon I went to Fengyuan for tea time. It was a fun ride, I made a new friend and another wonderful experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment