Sunday, November 22, 2015

June 16, 2015: Checking out Route 149 in Nantou and visiting Liao Shi-jie in Lunbei

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/806667727
218km, 8h21, elevation 1525m

For my rides in Taiwan, I would always carry a map and ride some roads I had never seen before. In the fast few months, I accumulated a lot of roads but there were still quite a few left to be discovered. One of these was Route 149 in Nantou. Actually I wanted to ride this one during my 340km ride in March, but it was too much for that day. In April and May I have been checking out other locations. Today I decided it would be that day, to finally ride 149.




Just like the million rides before today, I went to Changhua city via Hwy 1 and then I attacked Bagua Mountain (Route 139)


It was a genuine Taiwanese summer day, average temperature 32 degrees. Route 139 was a pure beauty in these settings


I entered this small lane in October of last year, not much too see there


It was extremely quiet, almost no cars, even less cyclists. 139 was all mine


Enjoying summer in Changhua


Route 139's 20km mark


A view over Changhua


Bartman outside with his classy new Giro Attack helmet



Hiding away from the sun underneath the trees


The Fengshan temple, where I sold my flatbar in January, packed with cyclists in the weekends.


One thing I had never done before was taking 139-4 to Songbolin. On previous rides I always continued 139 to Zhongliao and Jiji. Today I altered my course.


This section had an initial climb but then went downhill. The views were gorgeous


Discovering the beauty of Route 139-4 to Songboling


Downhill in between the open fields of Mingjian township, it was the setting of a fairy tale


There was one driver who first stopped in front of me and then turned left just as I passed. Really dangerous and super selfish. I cannot believe he did not do that on purpose. I twisted his left mirror to the back. If he doesn't use his mirrors, he should have them removed!


Mingjian is an underestimated area within Nantou


Songboling


Here I crossed route 150 that could lead to Tianzhong township



Cute wall art.


Another huge temple shrine


Next move: taking hwy 3 south to Zhushan


Ming-zhu bridge between Mingjian and Zhushan. I have come here a few times before


But never under a crystal blue sky like today


More mountains ahead...


After some searching I saw route 149 indicated on the signs, left please


Caoling, that's where I had to be


The starting point of Route 149


Yunlni's Gukeng area in less than 20km


The first few miles of 149 were not very hilly



I mounted my bike cam and made some footage here.


Enjoying the views around me



The Guo river



I had imagined this route to be a lot worse.



Going south in western Nantou, Yunlin county was approaching


When I cycled here I wondered if the mountains across the river would be Lugu and Shanlinxi.



Enjoying life on my bike in Taiwan's Nantou area




I was amazed by how many small roads connected to this 149. A lot of Nantou nr X roads were all here. I would definitely have to come back for checking out these




A small village called Tongtou



Mountains all around


At a certain point I reached a cross section. There was a small shop and I asked them how I should ride. They advised me to take the small road to the right, otherwise I would have to do an extra 25km around Huashan. I listened to their advice for once


This is the small road they were taking about, official number was 158-2

This section was quite hilly with some good gradients as well


The solitude in these areas is blessing



That small road would lead into Yunlin county. If you wanna check the map, 158-2 connected to 149-2/ That's how I went


A nice way for entering Yunlin county


In Yunlin I first went to Douliu city.



Then I had my GPS navigate me to Lunbei county in northern Yunlin. I had promised Liao Shi-jie that I would pay him a visit


I was sent through some cozy small lanes


and open fields




Something my two brothers would want to see


Eventually my GPS led me to Route 156. From there I knew how to go


Yunlin in a romantic summer setting



It was very warm today



Navigating through Yunlin county


This is the street where Liao Shi-jie lives. I had to find route 156's 13km mark



I would be there in less than 1500 meters




Lunbei township



Gangweicun was the name of Liao Shi-jie's community


When I visited him, his two daughters were also there. I stayed there for a few hours and then I headed back to Taichung.




A detailed map of today's ride where you can see 149 and the whole Yunlin region


The community where Liao Shi-jie lives


I took Hwy 19 back to Changhua city, then I ronnected to Hemei and took the Zhongzhang bridge



After the Zhongzhang bridge I had my GPS navigate me back home. Funny thing was it did not send me through Hwy 17, but offered me some nice smaller roads instead. I liked it!


It was about dark when I got back home. It was a enjoyable ride with several goals reached: checking out new routes, visiting Liao Shi-jie in Yunlin, seeing beautifyl views and doing more than 200. 

No comments:

Post a Comment