Thursday, November 19, 2015

April 6, 2015: Mixing tiny roads together can still result in a cool Miaoli ride!

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/738787312
166km, 6h41, elevation 1965m

Another Miaoli ride, there could simply not be enough rides in this beautiful and under appreciated part of Taiwan. I left somewhat earlier than normal, but after having mantou, I hit the road. From Shalu I went to Qingshui and there I started cycling Hwy 1 to Dajia and Yuanli. From there I connected to Route 121 that goes north.


A beautiful morning on Route 121. 


The tertiary roads of Taiwan are often devoid of traffic. Heaven for those who like to pedal


Good morning Bartman, ready for a Miaoli ride?


I brought my little Miaoli+Hsinchu map and for this ride I had decided I wanted to do a little section i had not cycled before: Miaoli-48. It is basically a connection between 121 and Sanyi. But there are some very steep sections along this Miaoli-48, don't be fooled!


After some two km, the road started to get hilly, one section was even around 18%.


Miaoli-48 first has a good climb and then a nice descent, which leads to Hwy 13. Left or west would be Tongluo, right or east would be Sanyi.


The weather was extremely good and traffic was low


Temperatures were rising above 35 C


The hills of Miaoli, pure beauty 


Being outdoors and cycling is pure joy!


I went north via Hwy 13 for some time, then all of the sudden I saw Route 128, which I take more often. I decided that would be a good way of riding some smaller roads instead of this Hwy 13. After 128 I connected to Hwy 6 and then again to Hwy 13. As a cyclist, I will always prefer smaller roads, even if that implies occasional puzzling on the map.


The red bridge of Hwy 6


Good thing I brought these sun glasses

My goal was going to the hills of Hwy 3 and then back south. There are several ways of doing that, for today's ride I chose Miaoli-22, which I did once in 2014.


This is Miaoli in its most divine manifestation: hills and tranquility all over the place.


Miaoli-22 is a tiny mountain path made for the Hakka people in the mountains. It is super tranquil and quiet. Exactly the reason I love it so much


Great times outdoors



What's up with the serious look? We are having a blast here!


Maddoh! Che dicccc! Abbo ik zweer!


I took that same picture in 2014, but I just had to retake it. Beautiful sight. The road up here was a constant 8% gradient.


With these temperatures however, enough to sweat like a pig




Miaoli-22, look it up and go ride it if you haven't!


The downhill part is also very steep, watch your speed. At the end I was back on Hwy 3. From there it was just one long way south, to Taichung.


Along the road I saw this. I have to do this one later. Sounds like a nice shortcut to Gongguan.


Hwy 3 is full of these small paths, just fantastic


In Nanhu I decided I wanted to ride Miaoli-55, another small road that runs parallel to Hwy 3. Again, less traffic, quieter and more climbing


Climbing fills your body with endorphine, which results in wanting to climb even more!


Along Miaoli-55 you will find the entrance to Dakeshan, an item still on my to-do list


A maze of little paths all going uphill. It is a paradise and way better than a fitness center


Back in Taichung I decided to take Taichung-40 to Houli, a small road with some nice climbing in there.


To Houli: left! Fengyuan was close now...


A nice ride Bartman! Good job!


My GPS took me through this road on my very first Miaoli ride ever. I will never forget... The 8% elevation back then knocked me out...

  
I love the solitude here...



Cycling paths in Houli



From here I went to Fengyuan for tea time. Later in the evening I turned home. Another nice ride!


Thank you SW Roubaix for another wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment