Tuesday, January 17, 2017

September 10, 2011: Leaving Taiwan with an unfinished bike ride


 This was the last day in Taiwan for in 2011. After a magical summer of Chinese courses, making new friends, weekend trips to every city around the island, cycling and basketball, good food, great weather etc., it had now gotten time to go home. I had a night flight at 23h so during the day I could still go cycling a little. 


My suitcase was already packed


At night I would just come back and pick it up before heading to the airport


I walked outside with my camera, heading for the bike shop. This view stunned me. The weather was great.


Zhishan area in Taipei



Another magnificent shot. I would be cycling there a bit later


Taipei was giving me good weather for the last day






There was the bike shop called Willy's Bike




I borrowed bikes here more than a dozen times this summer.



My buddy was waiting for me again. Let's start this day of delight



I took the bike paths going north



Not many people outside on this day, just me



The Tamsui river. While I passed here, I was thinking about the summer I had passed here. Just three months but so many memories already.


I felt sad leaving this behind


I cycled to - where else - the cycling cafe under the bridge


I had a drink and a snack and discussed my flight home at night



I thanked them for giving me such a nice time these weeks and months



Music check, Katima bike wear, check, let's go!


Taipei was being extremely friendly to me today


The paths lead me once again to Guandu




The Guandu National Park was open today. It was closed the last time I came here. So I decided to go check it out.


It was cheap so why not?


Inside I took many pictures













It was all very Japanese Zen





There was some about fauna and flora





I did not check it out in detail, I just had a brief walkthrough 



This is the Taiwan Strait and the Tamsui river. I already understood the local geography well


Viewing through the binoculars 








Beautiful!






Don't feed the birds


After that, I went back to my precious bike and continued my route


I went to the Der An tea shop, also for my goodbye wishes. 


Lengpaote; the tea which is served cold. 


Fan Tingyu and Han Zheng; the two shop workers


From Guandu I went further in the direction of Tamsui


This whole area was just extra beautiful today. Was it because I had to go back home?




Narrow paths leading to Tamsui


Tamsui MRT




Some activity would be going on later



Then I took the ferry boat to Bali and said goodbye to the guy from whom I had bought tickets several times



In Bali the journey went further. I rode the Bali cycling paths until the very end.



Some scenic views, there were more people here




Nice experience this ferry boat



I was not the only one carrying a bike on the boat





The last time I took that ferry boat





From here I followed the bike paths. Later I learned that what I did was connecting to Highway 15; which runs to Xinchu and Taoyuan. 



Bali area on a fantastic day




I cycled to the end of the cycling paths and I went even further. I was clearly in the mood for discovery this day.



From the side of the road I saw a big temple I wanted to check out.


So I went for it. It had a steep uphill


And that's where my bike ride ended: the chain of the crappy cheap bike broke on that slope. I was fucked


I was already getting nervous about missing the flight. So I left the scene straight away looking for help





No more time for exploring the temple




The view from here was nice though




I found a little car repair shop and I asked them to help. They could not fix that chain because it was broken. They were kind enough to drive me to Bali so I could take the ferry. I took to boat, went to the MRT in Tamsui and took the bike back to Zhishan. Good thing I had time for all of that.


They were nice, they got me outta trouble. 


Later that night in Zhishan, I quickly ate something, took my suitcase and had the taxi bring me to the airport. I remember the female driver explaining me a lot about teaching jobs in Taiwan.



I said bye to the little restaurant at the corner and left Taipei. 


I arrived in time for my flight at the airport and it cost me only 900 NT (25 eur). I took my night flight and arrived in Amsterdam the next day. This was the end of my first Taiwanese encounter, one that paved the way for many more sequels. Thank you for this Taipei 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment