Friday, January 20, 2017

December 4, 2012: A Tamsui-Shimen-Wanli-Fengguizi loop of 100+ km.




On this day, I did a solo bike ride. It had been one month since I left Grizzly and I had done some more cycling because of that. 


I went north from Danshui following Route 2. It was a bit windy this day



I went all the way to Shimen and Jinshan, which is very north in Taiwan.


It was a normal working day and traffic was low. I liked that a lot.


Shimen district of New Taipei City


I stopped here at Family Mart for drinks and a snack. I came here again during my tour around Taiwan in 2013


One of Taiwan's scenic spots, the Shimen hole. There is also a famous temple a bit down the road.


A day I took many pictures


Grey skies but the temperatures were fine


Next part of the ride was cycling back home, I chose Wanli for that. I remember receiving a message from Emre, my Turkish friend, here.


Exploring the depths of cycling


Via Wanli I climbed up to Fengguizui, a typical hill in Taipei


In the beginning the gradient was fine


But slowly that increased. Nothing so serious I had to come off my bike


The view around me. The absence of sounds made it all the more mythical 


I do not remember how many km it was, but it was a decent long ascent.



Calories were being burnt, which was my number one goal those days.


I developed the habit of taking pictures, even though I only had this crappy HTC phone for it.


My favorite biking shirt of 2012 btw.


Almost there...


I remember this moment, I was thinking how awesome it was I cycled so much in such a short time.



It was no summer, but nevertheless very enjoyable weather


spot on! I made it to the top and from there I headed back to Shilin area. And from Shilin I took the bike paths via Zhishan and Guandu to Tamsui. My usual riding...


I knew the area well enough for making such a nice loop. I was proud of myself


I stopped here for a meal. Nothing special, other than the place next to it seemed to have been blasted away somehow. Oh yeah and the Gugong National Palace Museum was right across the street.


My meal that day. Simple but tasty


National Palace Museum, visited it in 2011, did not like it too much. Too sinocentric


Shilin police station


This ride was not far off 100 km, which was a nice amount for a solo ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment