Friday, January 13, 2017

August 2011. Cycling together with Ke Menghan on a rental Giant bike


I had made a new friend in Taipei and his name is Ke Menghan. I met him playing basketball in Zhishan. Apart from that he also cycles. So we started doing bike rides together


I came home after classes and went for a lunch in the small restaurant at the corner, whose female owner even visited Amsterdam once. That shocked me.


Taiwanese always wanting to have a cheers with me drinking beer.


But they are friendly and kind people


After lunch I went to a small bike shop very close to my home and rented a giant bike for only 100 NT per day. It made the cycling a lot more fun than the small green female bike


We rode from Zhishan to the little cycling cafe under the bridge.


We had many small talk here and just enjoyed our time. It was not about miles those days, it was about enjoying the process.


That summer I bought all my cycling kit with him. I bought a few pants and sweaters for cycling. It was the very beginning of a new chapter in my life.


Ke Menghan is a very strange guy. He is not a bad guy, he was being friendly to me, but he was just strange.


Saying I did not have a good time with him would be a lie.


He actually had a very nice racing bike. Those days the idea of a 600 eur bike baffled me.


I had this buddy to keep me company. It served me well that summer.


We cycled to Tamsui. Right before Tamsui there is a small steep hill on the bike path. It became my habit to nail that one. Not that it was so tough, but at the time it was a nice challenge, one that Ke Menghan could not make. So he always complimented me on that, which made me enjoy the cycling even more.


We took a few pictures at the Tamsui MRT


These are my cycling young days


I was a lot bigger than now, probably weighing over 90kg.


A few pictures of us together.



Local musician





Then we went to the Tamsui Old Street where there is a lot of food and games. It is a tourist area where many people gather.


And then we took the little ferry to the other side, Bali


Strange combo of dressing styles, but what did it matter in the end


Crazy Ke Menghan


All aboard




The boat was already approaching


On the other side




Wonderful days without worries


The discovery of Taiwan was a big success for me


Correct me: we were going to the fisherman's warf in Tamsui


This boat is a bit bigger than the one that leads to Bali




This feeling of freedom was very nice


The itinerary was a bit longer than Bali


Just chilling


Nice




Approaching our destination








Guess who was acting stupid again




Our bikes on the boat



This is the very expensive Furong hotel


Some more pictures at sea
















We walked around there a little, there was a game arcade where we played basketball. When we went back, it was already dark, but the bike paths brought us home safely


No comments:

Post a Comment