Tuesday, January 10, 2017

November 16, 2012: The discovery of Wulai and the Atayal tribe at Route 9jia



This day I visited Wulai which lays in the very south of New Taipei CIty. I first cycled from Tamsui to Xindian, using Taipei's bike lanes.


After 40 km I found myself at the Bitan, Green Lake.


This Tamsui to Xindian was my basic warm up for long range cycling trips


Ready for another day of exploring



Bitan



I did not shave myself during Movember



In Xindian I connected to Hwy 9, my precious Beiyi road.


In a very short amount of time, this road has gotten legendary for me.


Right after entering the nr. 9, you can see the Xindian river. Here we are entering the mountains.


This is a very beautiful area


Ataya museum in Wulai


I had to make a detour to 9jia. Today I was not taking 9 to Yilan. 


This road had a few ups and downs


Status of the aboriginals



Me and the Atayah



The first time I went to Yilan, I accidentally came here as well. I did not understand the difference between 9 and 9jia. That day, a lady in a 7-11 told me to head back. That was such a nice day.

Mountainous Wulai


This was the most beautiful November 16 I have ever had.


It was very tranquil this day. 


Selfie


Approaching Wulai


Wulai old street



This little street is always so crowded. Cycling is impossible here.


I saw the Atayal museum and the entrance was free. So I decided to spend an hour and go check it out.


I tried to absorb as much information as possible



Division of aboriginals within Taiwan. There are 14 grouips




Learning a bit more about there houses and clothing



Weapons used for hunitng






After my tour inside, I continued cycling. There was more to explore in the Wulai area.


Interesting why the speed is limited at 23 and not 26kmph.


The best my HTC phone could do


Cozy small lanes curling up into the mountains


Waterfall


I met a Dutch couple, the guy was a cabin crew member spending a few days in Taiwan. Interesting stories he had to tell. 


I spent some time walking and talking with them. 


Mysterious...



I was exploring this area big time and I loved it





We were just walking around here and exploring the area. 


At this spot we said farewell. They wanted to go hiking, I could not with my bike. I decided to cycle back to Taipei. It was already 15.00 and it would soon be getting darker.


During this return I felt myself in a strange kingdom. The adventure level was high




Wulai for sure left a big impression on me.


I bid farewell to the Atayal


Street with stores, in the high season this is probably crowded


Hot springs are famous in Wulai



When I came back to Taipei, I had cycled around 140 km. Incredible distancel!

No comments:

Post a Comment