Friday, January 27, 2017

November 4, 2012: Riding with Al and Jon, my terrifc Taipei cycling buddies



Today I woke up at seven and went to Hongshulin, where I would meet Al. 



On my way to Hongshulin, it was very crowded. The place was packed with scooters.


Hongshulin MRT became our meeting place whenever we went for rides.


Together with Al, I cycled to Tianmu, where we would meet Jonathan.


The Taipei cycling routes, many hours spent here....



I took some pictures while Al was receiving a call form Jon.


Aint no rider without a cell phone.


The weather did not look fantastic, but it never became horrible.



Also one of myself


Blue-white cyclist ready for his third consecutive day of cycling fun. 


We met Jon here at the Carrefour and then we went to 7-11 for breakfast.



From there we cycled to Shilin, in the direction of the mountains. On the way there we had a situation. A blue truck almost rammed Al and he was furious. I needed to intervene to prevent this from becoming a genuine fight. Luckily that succeeded. Nobody got hurt and yes that driver was an asshole. 


This is where Fengguizui is, one of Taipei;s typical climbs. 


Selfie in the nature. Now it was time for climbing.


During the climb I could feel I was very tired from the previous two days of cycling. It went a lot tougher.



Fengguizui




Actually I cycled into the wrong direction. It was my own fault, I wanted to be faster than the other guys but in the end I find myself behind of them. The burning irony haha.


I was supposed to head for Wanli but instead I went to Neihu



Once I was on the right track, I noticed it was still some distance and my legs were tired.


Which resulted in me getting of the bike at ties and taking pictures.


All that sweating meant I was getting in shape.





Funny how the sign indicates how many calories have been burnt. What a joke!


Here you can see that this road is steep at times.


Almost there...


At the top we relaxed for a while and took some pictures


Shilin to the right


Climbing on top of this mountain is worthy of little celebration



And making a fool of oneself



Picture from the three of us


From there we made a very long descent to Wanhua area, which is very north in Taiwan.



It was a very long and twisty descent all the way down.


Many directions to head


Them boyw


At some point we landed at Hwy 2, the one that curls along Taiwan's north coast. This is where we started heading in the direction of Tamsui. I found it shocking that Keelung was already indicated. I was again pretty close to Yilan.


Al is having a change of garderobe 


We cycled all the way through Jinshan, Shimen and passed by the Yeliu geological park.



We asked some bystanders to take pictures of us.



Good times, cycling is such a joy


Really happy to have made some cycling friends.


We stopped at a little cafe for coffee and a snack


Taiwan;s North coast


Jon told me this was a very old and famous temple


From there, we rode on Hwy 2 to Tamsui. We passed thruogh Sanzhi. It was a little over 30 km from here and I remember riding up front, keeping my two cycling buddies out of the wind. They were complimenting me on my power haha.


Back in Tamsui I took a quick nap and later on the day I met with Ke Menghan. I estimate that this was a 120 km bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment