Thursday, January 21, 2016

September 2, 2014: That one time I actually went into the Dakeng area

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/581044792
93km, 3h53, elevation 1019m

Even though I live in Taichung, I have not been going to the Dakeng area a lot. I first heard of this area from people I met right after arriving in Taiwan. Then I saw the name on some street signs at Taiwan Boulevard. Seeing it frequently meant that I had to go and check it out. I did not know exactly where it was, nor did I have a way point. I just followed the signs on the streets.

I went to Taiwan boulevard and to Xitun. That's where I remember seeing the signs. Following the signs sent me right through Taichung city. I lost directions a few times so I had to ask people every now and then. In the end I arrived in Tanzi and I found the Dakeng area. There I just did some random cycling.


I cannot even remember how I got here. I just did what I felt would be nice. Anyway, I ended up in a small and steep alley. It was nice. It was a good work out. I remember some part being 10%.


Traffic was very low and I did not even see other cyclists, so that was good.


Later I understood that this area is Tanzi. This is a view over these hills. Weather was excellent.


Whenever you see the karakter Keng, you know you are in the right area. It means hill or slope.


I remember I came from that direction.


I went strait here. This little lane eventually brought me back to Route 129.


Why the angry look Bart? Weather is great, you're free as a bird and you're doing good sports.


A lot of valuable info from my GPS screen: 8.6% slope, 35 degrees celcius, high heart beat. A descent work out!


After that Dakeng section, I followed 129 to Xinshe. There was another long climb here. I stopped here for some drinks because I was thirsty. Also this area was quite annoying for cyclists due to the small space because of the road works.


Nice view though!

I cycled to Xinshe and from there I followed Hwy 3 back to Fengyuan. I visited my friends for tea and later I went back home. Did not do a lot of miles but I had more than a thousand meters of elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment