Tuesday, January 5, 2016

July 24, 2015: Meeting new friends on the day before the KOM race

Garmin Activity: No Garmin Activity

The day before the big KOM race in Hualien, I travelled there by train. I did my preparations in Shalu, looking up where the venue was. I got a train ticket from Fengyuan to Hualien and I got a bike bag for my transport.

Early in the morning I cycled to Fengyuan and caught the train. This train was going north to Taipei and then on to Hualien. 


Looking up the venue in Hualien city.


I also saved this waypoint to my GPS for easy navigation


My bicycle bag, ready for a big journey


I had to bring a lot of stuff for this race


Fengyuan railway station, going north to Miaoli from here.


In the train I met some friends who were also racing at the KOM race. There was one German guy and the others were locals. We started chatting a lot about cycling.


These pictures were taken in the section between Yilan and Hualien, the so called Suhua road.


I rode this section in 2013, when I was cycling around the island


It was quite a bunch of them and we got along great. One remarkable thing occurred: When I saw the list of participants my name was not there. Luckily I was able to call the organization and have everything fixed before my arrival.


Everybody was feeling for an epic KOM adventure


In Hualien we first had something to eat and then we went to the hotel for registration.


After registration I suggested we go check where the starting point of the race is. That spot was called Qixingtan and was way on the coast.


My Roubaix with the Great Pacific right behind it. It was a fantastic weather day


Relaxing before the big showdown.



The Qixingtan bicycle path


We made some pictures here


This would be a nice option when cycling around the island.


Hualien, sea and mountains



Hualien is such a beautiful place. I cannot describe the immense feelings I have every time I come here.


We stopped here for some Mango Ice



Jummy mhmmm


One of the guys was riding a Pinarello bike, just the one my Fengyuan friend Shu-wei wanted. Obviously I had to show off with it.



In your face Shuwei haha


Mango ice in the summer sun of eastern coast Hualien, beyond doubt the best July 24th I ever had.


On our way back to Hualien city, Qixingtan is located along Route 193.


The presentation at the hotel was quite fun.


This medallion only goes to those who actually finish the race


Great! I could feel the passion burn inside me when I saw this height profile


I won a little gadget during the pop quiz section


My participant number. This picture was taken in Nita Lin's hostel. 


The beautiful morning sun of Qixingtan. Let the games begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment