Friday, January 8, 2016

January 31, 2015: May-day, man down during a Fengyuan group ride

Garmin Activity: No activity

Today we had a very short ride because I had class at 1 am. Nevertheless, I made it for the Fengyuan group ride. I took my bike cam for some bike fun. This time I decided to install it backwards, so I could have more pictures of my buddies in the handlebars.


Bike cam is working, now let's hit the road

We teamed up a the 7-11 near Shuijing in Fengyuan. The first challenge of the day was Wanli Changcheng, Taichung-88.



Shuwei, Mr. Cai and Steven, all dressed in yellow.


Woops, I gotta slow down, otherwise I still don't have their pictures


That's more like it. It was rather chilly and everybody was wearing wind vests.


Inside of the little tunnel, this is all before the real climbing starts to kick in.


the white rider in the back is A-Yong



We waited here for the others to join.


I took off my helmet to inspect my camera, making sure it was still attached firmly. Accidentally had this picture of myself.


Entering the beautiful hills of Fengyuan's garden of Eden in the early morning. Truly a lovely experience.


Then the climbing started and distance was shaped almost naturally


I tried to slow my speed but even that had a bottom line.


This picture shows neatly how this road is curling up.


Slowing down did result in two other riders approaching... Who were they?


The rider in the red jersey is my close pal Liao Shijie


The sun was making its way above these hills.



Good morning Wanli Changcheng, how are you doing today?


It is a beautiful day



Wanli Changcheng is actually a very narrow path. Good thing there are never a lot of motorized vehicles over here.


We waited at the top for the others to join. Then they tour guided us through some neat small roads.


The gang was complete here


And they were showing me a side of Xinshe I had never seen before. Lovely stuff!



This path was even more narrow. The kind I like most


I believe this is Taichung-93 but I am not sure.



It was interesting to see how many nice views I could capture with my camera installed like this



Then we cycled to a spot called Danyaoku 彈藥庫, Chinese for gun powder box. It was a small climb but I had never been there. There was another cyclist there, a friend of Steven, he would join us on our ride.


Riders following me at Danyaoku



This is where that rider joined us. We waited for the others to join here.


Mr. A-Yong covering up most of my lens's reach haha




The skies above Xinshe


And then we cycled out of Danyaoku



On the right you can see a Taiwanese cemetery, although tombs like these are for the high class rich people.




I waited for the guys to join here and made a video recording


We waited here because A-Zhu would be joining us here. Mind the sign that indicated Shuijing.


The guy on the right is that friend of Steven.


When everybody was there, we marched on





More small lanes filled with Fengyuan riders



After some more climbing we once again waited here for the rest to join. Today's group ride was just a relaxing ride. Don't think too much of it.



Back on track


We were riding here when all of the sudden I heard somebody crashing into the ground. Oh no! When I turned around, I saw that friend of Steven had fallen with his bike. He fell over a light that came loose from A-Shun's bike. That guy was hurt and his bike was history. His front wheel totally twisted. It was only a 7000 NT bike. 


Steven called for someone to pick him up and have him sent home


Etiquette has it that the group must wait until help has arrived


We waited here for thirty minutes


But we had fun chatting and throwing these little nuts around



A-Zhu stealing the show


A picture of me with my  bike cam

After the guy was picked up, we cycled back to Fengyuan. We did pass through that Tou'erping lane. It was a bit tight but I made it in time for my classes in Taichung.

No comments:

Post a Comment