Wednesday, January 20, 2016

August 30, 2014: Making miles to Yunlin along the coastal Hwy nr. 17

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/578175217
191km, 7h14, elevation 295m

Yesterday I did a ride to Miaoli, so today I wanted to do something else. I studied the map of central Taiwan and I decided to explore the coastal highway number 17. I cycled from Shalu to Wuqi and there I started going south. I had a gentle tail wind which helped my speed. 

It was my first ride along this coastal highway. I saw a lot of new names and places here. I crossed the Zhongzhang bridge to Changhua county. There I saw the name Hemei. The place I would have worked at, if Gert could actually apply for my work permit. Lost times in Hemei that I will never come to enjoy.

The road was really easy to follow and checking on my map, I decided that I could go to Yunlin county, over the Zhuoshui river. I wanted to pass through a place called Taixi. After all, I had been in Taitung, Taipei, Tainan and Taichung. But never had I been in Taixi. Therefore, it was a must! I met two people during the ride who where cycling from Taoyuan to Kaohsiung. Now that is some serious distance! 

I exited Hwy 17 when I saw route 156. I got this information from viewing my map. I cycled to Xiluo, where I looked for the Speciailzed shop. I only found it thanks to the help of a new friend, Jian Tan. He was preparing for a cycling trip to Tainan. He showed me where that store was but it was closed on that day.


Bartman in the streets of Xiluo


yi che hui you in Chinese: meeting friends by cycling. I met Jian Tan, a resident from Yunlin.


I did what I did on my very first ride in Taiwan: cross the Xiluo bridge. This time from the other direction.


There is the bridge. I had to wait for the red stopping light.



That bridge is actually a narrow stretch. Would not want to get a flat tire there. The view over the bridge is nice though.


The light is green, go go go!


On the bridge. I think it is around 2 km.


After this bridge, I cycled over Route 145 and Hwy 19. I recognized all of this from a previous ride. Slowly I was nearing Changhua. From there I had my GPS do the navigation works. It sent me over Hwy 1, then to Wuri, Route 125, back to Taiwan Boulevard. At the time I was riding blind, but looking back at the map, I can now understand it all.


It was very hot that day, with an all day average temperature of 32. At a certain time I was super thirsty. I stopped at a 7-11 and bought myself a few drinks. 

When I got home, I did not linger too long. The next day I would be riding with my newly made Fengyuan friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment