Saturday, January 23, 2016

April 10, 2015: Already 5000km on my flatbar in Miaoli's Liyutan area

Garmin Activity: no activity

Even though there were some occasional downpours, I still went for a nice ride before work. I went to Houli and on to the Liyutan area.



First major fact of this ride: my flatbar already exceeded the 5,000 km mark. This was achieved in about three months, ninety days. Impressive right?




From Houli, I followed Hwy 13 in the direction of Sanyi. I stopped at a 7-11 of which I remember having been there in August 2014. When I got back outside, a couple started talking to me. I explained them who I was and where I was from. They were impressed by my Chinese. They also told me a little story about this hill behind me. At last they took this picture of me.



At a certain point I took a small lane to the right. I only knew this one thanks to my Fengyuan friends. It is a small road that leads into the Liyutan area, on the southeast of Sanyi. In this picture you can see highway 13 to Sanyi.



From there I crossed several small lanes. This particular spot is the Liyutan elementary school. You can also see the Longteng broken bridge indicated to the left and Miaoli-52 + Liyutan reservoir to the right. That's where I was going today.



The tranquility of these hinterlands is striking. It is a hidden paradise for those who like cycling.


The Liyutan reservoir was nicely indicated on the signs. I did bring a map but I didn't need it out here.



Feeling like Paradise Lost out here


I rode Miaoli-52 to the end and found myself on an intersection. I took a left, going for Dongshi and Zhuolan



Maybe there would be more people here on a regular day, but this imminent threat of rain made it my personal paradise.


The reservoir in front of me


There was some climbing on this section. I was going further east on the map, to the southeast of Miaoli, where Zhuolan lies.


A stone pillar with the writing: Liyutan Reservoir



A relaxing climb along Miaoli-52





A closer view of the reservoir. 



I would not want to fall in here. It is still very high


I discovered there are a few roads running here. For today, I stayed on the main road going to Zhuolan.


This thick pack of clouds awaiting spontaneous combustion provided a unique skyline.



My previous fitness bike at the Liyutan reservoir in Taiwan's Miaoli area. The Mavic wheels make a huge difference.



I was steadily making my way back to Zhuolan and from there Fengyuan was close.


We all know this spot: the intersectiion between Route 140 and Hwy 3. I crossed this bridge, went to Zhuolan and on the Fengyuan. I made it to my friends home by noon. In the evening I went to Taichung for my classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment