Thursday, January 14, 2016

April 1, 2015: Departing from Fengyuan changes the perspective on Miaoli rides

Garmin Activity: No Garmin Activity

This has been one of the very few times that a cycling trip did not start in Shalu. Today, I started cycling from Fengyuan. I was closer to Miaoli as usual so I decided to go for a Miaoli ride. There was time for a nice Miaoli ride before class. I went to the Fengyuan - Houli cycle path.



The Fengyuan bike paths lead to Dongshi and Houli. Today I went for Houli.



This bridge runs over the Dajia river. I still remember the first time I came here, in August 2014. Today I would to the Liyutan reservoir.



From the cycling path I went to Hwy 13 and then I went for a smaller lane. It was repeating the route of our previous Fengyuan group ride. This lane runs east to the Liyutan area. Already here you can notice the tranquility of these areas. 


Today's route was going to the right: Miaoli-52-1, Longteng broken bridge.


After some twists and turns I ended up in front of this sign. From this picture's perspective I came from the right and I was going the direction behind me. The signs reads in Chinese: Longteng broken bridge. There is a short but steep ascent followed by a longer descent. I believe that road is Miaoli-49 and it leads to Sanyi as well,



From there I connected to the legendary route 130. This small lane looked familiar, indeed I had been here before. Back in October 2014 I did a ride with my Shalu landlord. We came here as well but the road was closed for construction works.


This road connected to route 130, at the section a little more east from Sanyi but not yet in Dahu. It is where the 6 km climb to the Ginger Garden begins. I took a right at that T-section.


Miaoli has a good network of cycling paths. I really like Miaoli. It is so charming and special. 


The six km climb up to the ginger garden was pinchy as ever, but I could handle it. While I was cycling here, I thought of a trip I did here in early November, when my road bike was in the shop for a new groupset and I road my alloy flatbar out here. Today I was driving a whole lot better bike.


The view here is always lovely, but on a clear day like today it is even better. Next part was the descent back to Hwy 3. It was a delight on my disc brakes. What a great sensation!


During my descent I had special attention for Miaoli-56. It is a little road indicated on the map which I still have not done. I know where it starts and where it begins. I should plan this ride some time.



I do not know what is up with this ride, but I kept remember stuff and linking sections of routes together. This particular spot reminds me of August 2014, when I just came to Taiwan. I was led by my GPS up here in the other direction. I took a break at this spot because I was exhausted from the hot weather and the steep and long climb. Funny how life can change so much in just six months.


At the end of the descent, route 131 ends and connects to Hwy 3. I took a left here, but I left Hwy 3 immediately, taking another small path on my left. I like riding like the locals you know



These early morning rides are so wonderful. It is the best advantage a job could offer.



Instead of taking Hwy 3 back to Zhuolan, I took Miaoli-54, a smaller road. This road is full of hills, ascending and descending several times. Again, this was part of my early August Miaoli ride. 



Who would ever wanna go back to the city after witnessing this? It is not just the view itself, also the fact that my life allowed me to enjoy this on a frequent basis. I realized how lucky I was here,.



Nearing Zhuolan



A picture taken from a bridge



Miaoli thou art so precious



Up and down, up and down, this Miaoli-54 is a paradise!



This was the last hill of Miaoli-54. This is a view over Zhuolan, the township that lays by the river.



All this hopping around in these hills in these hot temperatures was a tiring task, but I had no regrets.



All there was left was a descent through this cemetery and I would be back in Zhuolan, close to Fengyuan.


I went back to Fengyuan via Shicheng and Shigang. I went to my friends house for tea. What a killer ride before work!

No comments:

Post a Comment