Tuesday, January 12, 2016

June 10, 2015: A 40 km long Dajia-Waipu-Houli detour to Fengyuan

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/799813297
80km, 3h25, elevation 753m

Only a short ride today, after all, it was a working day. I had classes from the afternoon until the evening. I took a steep climb up to Metropolitan Garden, which already got me sweating good. It was hot today, average temperature 35 C! 


The good part of climbing up to Metropolitan Garden is that you can avoid Taiwan Boulevard. And these small lanes are just adorable


It is generally tranquil here


These are fields used for agriculture, at times you will see tractors here. 


The main road of Metropolitan Garden, called Metropolitan Garden Road, a very original name.


I connected to Hwy 10 and then to Taichung-73, which is the lane that runs behind the Qingquangang airport. Lately I had often been riding like this.


Bartman cycling his way to Fengyuan


Left turn here to Dajia. It passes through some small roads but eventually it gets there, all of this fruit of my explorations


Haifeng road, I would pass through the Haifeng village which would lead to Hwy 1.


Most cyclists will love small lanes like these. I could ride them on a daily basis, that is pure luck.


Doesn't this totally kick Taichung city's ass?


It keeps amazing me how many small lanes and mazes there are in Central Taiwan.


Then there was a sudden descent after taking a right here. The road ran under a network of freeways and connected to the Dajia bridge.


A nice downhill here. One day I have to take it in the other direction.


A good spot for some video recording


That's it, Dajia to the left



I guess all of you are familiar with this spot? The Dajia river bridge? I crossed it and then I looked for Taichung-3o, aka Erkan road.


Erkan road is a small lane that runs from west to east. It has some intersections with route 132 as well. It leads to Waipu, which is just next to Houli, which then again is just north of Fengyuan.


These rice fields look ready to be harvested


At this point I was not following a map, I was just going in the direction I felt was correct. I was here for exploring, so anything new was welcome



Being outside on a perfect weather day like this makes me a happy boy


I eventually ended up at Route 132 in Waipu. I followed it in the direction of Houli.


But i recognized another small lane from the map, Taichung-33. I entered at started finding my own way.


Again, I found a paradise of small and tranquil roads.


According to the signs, they were made for cyclists


I eventually made it to Jiushe, a community within Houli. I knew this was not far from Fengyuan although I was clueless about my exact location.


Don't know if this offroad leads to somewhere, but it looked nice.



I crossed this bridge and continued zigzagging on the map


There was a section under the trees here. The shadow was very welcome, it was sizzling hot! I took a left here.


This road eventually connected to the Dajia river, where I moved east until I saw the Hwy 13 bridge that leads to Fengyuan


This is it. Two km later I found myself in Fengyuan, having done a nice 40km. Nice short ride. In the late afternoon I cycled to Taichung for teaching and then I cycled back home. A lovely day.


No comments:

Post a Comment