Wednesday, January 6, 2016

June 24, 2015: A Nankeng in full construction is still very steep but the view at the top is worthwile

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/814142656
106km, 4h28, elevation 1122m

Another day with classes in the late afternoon, so obviously some cycling in the morning. After my breakfast in Shalu, I took that small path from Qingshui to Haifengli again. From there it went over the Dajia river and then some small paths through the Waipu and Houli areas; I often cycle there lately because it is a tranquil way of going to Fengyuan


Farming activity along these fields and therefore some tractors will pop up now and then


I went through Waipu and Houli, through that Jiushe area. From there I connected to Hwy 13 which ran again over the Dajia river. Check it on the map. Eventually I made it to Fengyuan. In the afternoon I decided to do some cycling. Originally I had planned to do Beikeng but I somehow took the wrong road and ended up cycling Nnakeng (the southern slope)


The first km of that road are doable, but then there is a very steep section that leads to Xinshe. Every time I came here, there were construction works and today was no different. It meant getting off the bike here.


Admittedly, these road construction works were progressing and maybe next time there would be concrete/


This would be a nightmare on a road bike, but with my wider tires it could be done. Hooray!


Mind the writing on the wall. Apparently some locals were frustrated that it is taking too long to have this road normally connecting. 


I may be agile on the bike but here I was walking. Right after this there is a very steep ascent, with gradients of 22%. Out of the saddle and on the 32T cog it is doable.


Fengyuan's Nankeng alley. The first time I went uphill here. I came down here a lot of times. It was kinda terrifying on my road bike. With disc brakes it is doable.


Nankeng alley leads to Xinshe. When I got here I saw that it would be raining soon. So I decided to go back to Fengyuan.


This is around 500 meters of elevation. The views are nice though.


I think I am about to experience a downpour here!


I took Taichung-88, Wanli Changcheng back to Fengyuan. I spent the rest of the afternoon with my friends and then I went to Taichung city for my classes.


After the classes I spent quite some time chatting with a student. When I got back in Shalu it was already past 11 pm. But I did more than 100km!

No comments:

Post a Comment