Sunday, January 17, 2016

September 14, 2014: Baomaishan and Wanli Changcheng for a second Fengyuan group ride

Garmin Activity: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/589971112
109km, 4h40, elevation 1311m

The second time I joined the Fengyuan gang fior a group ride, we went to a place called Baimaoshan. At first I did not know where this was, but when I actually got there I recognized the place. I had come here some two weeks earlier, when I went to Caotun for that job interview. On that particular day, I cycled from Shalu to Wufeng on to Caotun, then I followed Hwy 14 to Guoxing and took Hwy 21 back to Taichung. So I had already done it in the other direction.

I got up really early and started cycling in the dark. I first descended Taiwan Boulevard, then I took Taichung-67 which is 5km uphill and then I followed Hwy 10 to Fengyuan. My friends had prepared a breakfast for me, that was really nice of them.

We gathered at a 7-11 in Fengyuan where more riders joined the group. From there we started our trip along Hwy 3, going to Shigang and Dongshi. I recognized Shigang from previous rides. In Dongshi, we took a right to Hwy 8, basically going the same way as to Guguan.

Thirteen km later we took a right to what was called Hwy 21. This is where I had come from two weeks earlier. Baimaoshan was a 7km ascent divided in 3 km, a 1 km platform and another 3 km. I pounded it because I wanted to arrive there before they did. I succeeded but I used a lot of energy for it. Afterwards they complemented me on this.


There is a little shop selling ''tonic eggs'' here. We sat there for a while and had a drink. They were discussing the fact that I was big, yet knew how to ride a bicycle.


Fengyuan friends


Relaxing at Baimaoshan


Then we descended again, returning to Dongshi. However, the return was somewhat different. We did not cross that bridge again, instead we rode Taichung-95-1 all they way to Xinshe. There was a 3 km climb in this section. I was again pounded it but I was feeling tired. This new section of roads offered some possibilities for future rides...

In Xinshe, one of the guys took us through a very cool little route back to Fengyuan. Later it would be known as Wanli Changcheng. On that day I remembered it as a steep a tiny little road. Back in Fengyuan, I joined my buddies for tea. Later in the afternoon I went back home. A good team ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment